Sign in to follow this  

Is it too early for winter flowering pansies ?

Saw some Winter Flowring Pansies today,and wondered if it was time to put them in,or should I wait. I always have success with them in containers,but have only just taken out my Surfinas. What month should I put them,or violas in ?

Mine are already flowering. Shows you how messed up the seasons must be.

Mine are already flowering. Shows you how messed up the seasons must be.

When did you put them in Jab ? The ones they were selling today were already flowering.I dont think Ive seen that before.

When did you put them in Jab ? The ones they were selling today were already flowering.I dont think Ive seen that before.

Ive had them in for a few years now, they usually flower in December but this year theyre already in flower.

The local shop here usually sells them and theyre in flower there too.

Ive had them in for a few years now, they usually flower in December but this year theyre already in flower.

The local shop here usually sells them and theyre in flower there too.

I cant understand that because winter flowering pansies,are put in at this time then taken out , for summer bedding to be put in. Yours must be perrenial pansies.Maybe someone else can enlighten me on this. :huh:

I cant understand that because winter flowering pansies,are put in at this time then taken out , for summer bedding to be put in. Yours must be perrenial pansies.Maybe someone else can enlighten me on this. :huh:

You take them out?

I think i might have made a **** up then, I leave mine in and theyre fine.

Can you tell Im no expert? :D

You take them out?

I think i might have made a **** up then, I leave mine in and theyre fine.

Can you tell Im no expert? :D

When you leave them in ,do they die off in the Summer,and come back in the Winter ? If so, I might as well just move mine out of the containers to another part of the garden,then put them back in ,in the Autumn. Will save me money in the long run.

When you leave them in ,do they die off in the Summer,and come back in the Winter ? If so, I might as well just move mine out of the containers to another part of the garden,then put them back in ,in the Autumn. Will save me money in the long run.

No they dont die they just become dormant, then in november usually they start to wake up. This year though theyve started early.

Ive just put my Winter Flowering Pansies in. OK , it may be a little early, but as Tescos is selling them at 20 for £3 what can I do ? I feel that when Ive put then in, its coming to the end of the gardeneing season dont you ? Soon the lawn will stop growing, and today Im doing some "cutting down& tidying up" . Its an Indian Summer, and its a lovely day in the garden today. And its dried my washing as well ! Wo could ask for anything more.:):)