Sign in to follow this  

New car seat regulations from 18th Sept

This is more likely to affect those of us with older children (as babies and toddlers will still be in their car seats) but a new law is coming in on the 18th Sept that states children between 3 - 12 years old and under 135cm in height must now use an appropriate child seat or booster seat.

My daughter is 10yrs but is over the height restriction so doesn't need one, but my son who's 7yrs and previously just used the seat belt now needs a booster seat. (Passed mine on a year ago and can't really ask for it back so need to buy a new one!)

More info Here

Hiya,

If he just needs a simple booster without a back toysrus are selling them for about £10,

Both mine are too small to get away without a carseat, :) I think its a good idea

Hiya,

If he just needs a simple booster without a back toysrus are selling them for about £10,

Hi Angie, Yes that's the sort I'm going to get. I'll take him in to pick his own, then hopefully he'll be more inclined to get back in one.

I just thought I'd post the thread in case anyone was still unaware of the new regulations, as I only heard about it recently, but fortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. :thumbsup:

I went to Halfords today or rather I was dragged and cost me £160 for two seats with backs on them....It'll take me a day or two to get over it, I went for the cheaper ones but they had sold out.:mad:

Yeah, I heard about this when reading an article in the Mothercare catalogue last year. My sis has three children and it sounds like the younger two will need booster seats (though I think the youngest still uses one anyway). It should make travel safer for youngsters but only if parents are responsible enough to make sure their kids are seated and strapped in properly.

It's been law for god knows how long now that anyone in the back seat of a car should wear a seatbelt but it's amazing how many adults let kids wander around un-restrained in the back. Totally bloody irresponsible and it's about time the police clamped down on it as well as enforcing the new law.

Netto have a booster seat for £2.99 on the offers starting tomorrow. Might be worth a try. Obviously you won't be able to take your little one in the car to get it or you'll be breaking the law on the way there!

I bought a complete seat for £30 from toys r us as my daughters got stolen along with her dads car, wonder which they really wanted :confused:

I think it's a good idea though even if my son doesn't being two inches short of not having to wear one.

if it makes them safer, or saves their life - its all good. but you can bet your life there will be loads of fines given out!

Does anyone know how this new law applies to taxi's?

I always worry about my son when we use taxi's as they never have booster seats, I wonder if they will now have to provide them.

if it does apply to taxi's will it also apply to bussses and coaches for school trips??

There are some exceptions and as far as I know taxi's are excempt. Though why they can't be obliged to ensure they have at least one booster seat available in their boot is beyond me :huh:

If you have to pick up a child unexpectedly you can also be excempt and if you would need three seats across the back seat of your car but can only fit in two.

Ah, but it isn't necessary for adults to wear seatbelts in taxis either (well, not hackney cabs anyway)