Sign in to follow this  

Anyone use a childrens book club or other book resource they trust and like?

Cosycub is a voracious reader, and he treats new books with more delight than anything else. However, they're expensive. Friends give us some, I trawl discount bookstores, occassionally I break down and get some from Waterstones (I do look in charity shops, but having watched how my little monster chews reflectively on books, and given how hard they are to clean, I rarely buy any).

Today I got a catalogue from a children's book club, and the prices seem extremely reasonable - i.e. I'm broke, and even I didn't cringe - and the books seemed high quality and varied. But I'm remembering all the bad publicity about book clubs in the past, and have never belonged to one because it concerned me. I'm forgetful, rarely get to a post office, and have a very tight purse. Anyone know how to get really good really inexpensive books for children without a catch or clause to fleece the unwary or lazy?

How about a book swap? With other mothers, play groups or creches somewhere?

Otherwise, tighten your belt one week soon and go to a car boot and buy loads.

Plus library sales.

When we open our drop it centre we might be able to organise a book swap, I'll add it to the list.

Please don't use Grolier, I got sucked into them via the McDonalds 'Chicken Little' promotion. At first the frequency and condition of the books was great, then I started to receive books on an almost weekly basis (at £8.96 for 2). The condition of some of these books was atrocious and all were sent back at cost to myself. I tried to stop them sending more, but they had no contact details other than the payment ones, eventually I located (on the internet - other complaints) an address for them and requested they stop sending books. The books have FINALLY stopped coming, but now I'm plagued by phone calls from the company, trying to get my business back. All in all, annoying, time consuming and low quality merchandise.

Thanks, Julz. One to avoid.

I know I forgot to mention the Library - yes, I am a big fan. But I have very little time at the moment to go and as Woodseats is my nearest, and is so chaotic at the moment, it may be a little while before I get around to going once, never mind returning books. I'd hate to be on their most wanted list for unreturned books, lol.

I am interested in the drop-in centre, I have Mondays with cosycub, and like to go somewhere after aquababes to have a coffee and a chat. Farmman meets me in town occassionally, but has his eyes on his watch, so a place to meet up with other mums would be great. And a book swap, maybe a toy swap too, sounds great. I'm totally overworked at the moment, but if there's anything I can usefully do, let me know.