The totally bizarre Cravings And Urges megathread (not for the faint-hearted!)

Ok this should be good, and a little... nasty, but has anyone had any bizarre cravings while pregnant? I knew a lady who used to lick coal when she was pregnant.

Can you beat that?

My cravings didn't involve eating as it was a slight problem during pregnancy. I did have a strong craving for the smell of damp basements though and found myself tempted to lick the walls.

They say that its an instinctive urge to get extra vitamins or minerals into the body.

To help with making the baby.

yes, that's true. I shall now go and look up the healing properties of fust. :gag:

I know someone who chewed on natural sponges constantly, which I found very, very odd.

Lucky me, I just wanted bananas. And lots of 'em!

Salt and vinegar crisps, anything pickled - especially onions, pickled onion crisps, onion and cucumber in vinegar - you get the picture!

I didn't crave anything bizzare, but as someone who went totally off milk and anything milky about 25 years ago, it was strange that throughout this pregnancy I was craving all things milky - milk shakes, porridge, rice pudding, youghurt drinks etc

pickled onions with chocolate spread *yummy* i was also a fellow sponge chewer/sucker!!

The current Mrs Till developed a craving for Ribena in all its' full sugar glory. Bit of a problem since pregnancy sent her diabetic!

no cravings at all here, i went the other way - i actually didn't want to eat really anything at all, as everything made me vomit. i forced myself to eat the bear minimum of fruit and veg, took vitamins, and otherwise subsisted from week 3 of pregnancy until 2 days after giving birth on the blandest foods available.

actually, i had so much trouble with being sick and developing an aversion to food that i was prescribed high calorie/high fat milkshakes (like the ones that anorexics are tricked into drinking) as they were small enough that i could force them down and digest some before vomiting it back up. 600 calories in half a pint, no less! now i'm trying to shift the half a stone of pure lard that's still here 3 months later.

my craving was the smell of wet sponges just use to sniff it for ages and ages

with my first son it was carrots and spare ribs in syrup, my second it was anything really meaty that i cud sink my teeth in,, like chicken legs and steak (not together!) with my third (a girl) it was sponges,,, dont ask my why,, i just used to sit in the bath chewing on a sponge but it wud have to be full of water so i cud squeeze it out with my teeth,, im pregnant again this time is meaty things (yep agian) and dime bars!!

the wonders of pregnancy!