Allotment security

Does anyone have any security suggestions? We're on the verge of giving up due to thieves and vandals. I feel like lurking in wait with a cattle prod!

Becky

Natural defences, can you plant brambles & nettles & trailing roses around the perimeter & up and over the door entrance?

You may have to abandon the growing of veggies for a year to allow the barrier to develop and, if there's nothing for the idiots to break in for, they'll find somewhere else to rob.

Hope this helps?

Becky, is this security on an allotment, and if so, where is the site?

Rivelin Valley, it's down by the river right next to the footpath unfortunately. To be honest, it's mostly overgrown and doesn't look very used - we've not had it long! They've not damaged any veg yet, but the thieves were very selective about which tools they took which made us think it was someone who needed a spade (very disappointing if it was another allotmenter!).

We have the chance at one further up the hill which I hope might be better, although the current people have had some problems...

We have continual problems with kids this time of year in our (very long) garden, part of which is a veg plot. Also had probs when we had allotments off Scott Rd.

To be honest they have nothing better to do and will keep getting in if they want to. A good idea to remove all tools from site, including hose pipes, they chopped ours into meter lengths, they are bored so anything is fair game for destruction or just mucking about with.

IF the hedge is not really difficult to get thru, you will have to wait a long while till its safe and they can just burn it any hot summer and then you're back where you started. I'd recommend moving to a better plot. you could look into using a single strand of barbed wire at waist height, but in a shared space it may not be allowed and its quite unfriendly. If you paint it bright orange and put up warning signs it might be ok. We use it but its on private property, it does work but I have cut myself on it a few times!

You could limit your veggies to crops which are less obvious, like carrots and potatoes, which might take a bit of a bashing and survive. Also if its allowed you could buy three geese, if you get a gander they will breed so get all females and they will see off any intruders for you. they need some grass, a paddling pool or bin lid to bathe in and some feed. you need to give them some attention so they dont peck you when you arrive, but not much other than food and locking in a coop or shed at night - you can buy "arks" for them nowadays.

Do you drive to your plot Becky? If so, perhaps it would be an idea to take all your tools home with you - it's a pain, but at least it'll keep them safe. If you have to leave them on site, then perhaps you could mark your tools in some way - defacing them will reduce the likelihood of a thief being able to sell them on (assuming that is their aim). I remember reading in one of the allotment magazines - maybe 'Grow Your Own' - that one of the police forces recommended that you spray paint all new tools pink! :)

D_K's suggestion of planting natural defence is a very good one too - thorny hedges such as pyracantha around the perimeter of your plot will help to deter even the most determined thief.

There's a paint you can buy that's more a thick red grease. It never dries.

Daub this along the areas that they gain entry.

Once it's on clothes it's on forever. Even Kim & Aggy would be stumped in removing it. Or for a cheaper alternative, use some old engine oil & soot & daub that around.

Has a very similar effect. :thumbsup:

Hee hee, I like the sound of that paint! Trouble is there's only one entrance so I'd probably get more on me! We could create another, secret entrance for us to use....