Sign in to follow this  

A disease free rose please ?

I took all my roses up years ago,because I was so fed up of black spot.I would however like to fill a large empty bed with some shrub roses.Does anyone know of a pink,long flowering,disease free,nice smelling shrub rose,or am I asking too much ?

Roses can't be gauranteed to remain disease free, but many of the new varieties are bred to be disease resistant.

The better nurseries and breeders (such as Fryers) should be able to track down something to meet your requirements

Most roses have labels on that tell you how disease resistant they are, and if they are perfumed or not. Good garden centres will offer advice as well.

If you try to keep removing the affected leaves on roses, and not let them fall to the floor (put them in the black bin), you sometimes can keep on top of the black spot problem. Good luck.

Most roses have labels on that tell you how disease resistant they are, and if they are perfumed or not. Good garden centres will offer advice as well.

If you try to keep removing the affected leaves on roses, and not let them fall to the floor (put them in the black bin), you sometimes can keep on top of the black spot problem. Good luck.

Thanks both of you for replying.I actually thought I would get more replies than this,with the actual name of a rose,but I think you are right to say ask the garden centre for advice.I know there are some roses that dont get blackspot as Ive heard Allan Titmarsh keep mentioning them ,but Ive never got a pen with me to write down the names.

Hi Pattricia,

Crocus (one of the online garden centres) suggests some roses that they claim show some resistance to blackspot and rust. (Link here). I don't have any experience of growing any of these so I can't comment on how efficient they really are at resisting blackspot, but they might be the varieties you were thinking of!

The floribunda roses recommended are Rosa Arthur Bell and Rosa The Queen Elizabeth. I know you said you would like a pink rose, but Rosa Arthur Bell looks absolutely gorgeous too - I love yellow roses. Rosa the Queen Elizabeth is a lovely pale pink.

There are some hybrid tea roses and climbing roses suggested on that site too.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: D'oh - just noticed that Crocus have discontinued Rosa The Queen Elizabeth! :( Oh well - you might still be able to find it locally, or failing that there are number of pink hybrid tea roses listed on there too :)

Hi Pattricia,

Crocus (one of the online garden centres) suggests some roses that they claim show some resistance to blackspot and rust. (Link here). I don't have any experience of growing any of these so I can't comment on how efficient they really are at resisting blackspot, but they might be the varieties you were thinking of!

The floribunda roses recommended are Rosa Arthur Bell and Rosa The Queen Elizabeth. I know you said you would like a pink rose, but Rosa Arthur Bell looks absolutely gorgeous too - I love yellow roses. Rosa the Queen Elizabeth is a lovely pale pink.

There are some hybrid tea roses and climbing roses suggested on that site too.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: D'oh - just noticed that Crocus have discontinued Rosa The Queen Elizabeth! :( Oh well - you might still be able to find it locally, or failing that there are number of pink hybrid tea roses listed on there too :)

Tracie,how nice of you to reply.Yes, thats a big help.I may end up with Rosa Arthur Bell,especially if it is disease resistant.I think if I can find one that doesnt get blackspot all the better.thanks for your link,Tracie.

I have another rose suggestion for you Pattricia - Rosa Wild Edric. When my mum visited last week she brought me some back copies of various gardening magazines and I've just spotted Rosa Wild Edric highly recommended in an article in one of those :)

It is a shrub rose with deep pink semi double flowers, a strong scent and is very resistant to disease. I've just googled for it and it seems to be widely available too!

I have another rose suggestion for you Pattricia - Rosa Wild Edric. When my mum visited last week she brought me some back copies of various gardening magazines and I've just spotted Rosa Wild Edric highly recommended in an article in one of those :)

It is a shrub rose with deep pink semi double flowers, a strong scent and is very resistant to disease. I've just googled for it and it seems to be widely available too!

Thanks, Tracie,I will make note of that.In fact all of them that you have recommended sound great.Im spoilt for choice.Think I will look them all up to see what they look like.