Sign in to follow this  

Advice needed re dog pee on carpet

I have been asked to post this via PM, as it's a slightly sensitive subject ;)

Paraphrasing:

It's a brand new cream wool carpet, and the family dog has found a secluded corner to 'welcome it to the home' (by weeing on it), so it had thoroughly dried in before the incident was discovered.

So far washing up liquid diluted on a cloth and Vanish Spray-on Carpet Stain Remover have both been tried, but to no avail.

I know there's an old traditional remedy for this problem, but I'm jiggered if I can remember it

Anybody know how to eliminate this stain?

Once you've patch tested somewhere out of view that the carpet is suitable for this, we usually recommend a solution of biological washing powder, which then needs rinsing carefully and some serious blotting or going over with a carpet shampooer to remove excess moisture and prevent shrinkage of the carpet. This has the dual advantage of digesting both the stain and the smell from the stain that makes them wee in the same place again.

The traditional remedy that you were thinking of is possibly to rewet the stain then sprinkle over loads of bicarb, leave to dry and vacuum up the residue, and there's another alternative which is to shampoo the best that you are able, then follow with a steam cleaner which also deodorises and can be used to sanitise through the thickness of the carpet and underlay layers.

I know that salt works a treat for blood stains (Takara's season). You put cold water on for blood, but it may be warm for other stains, not sure.

Basically you wet the area, put salt on and wait for the salt to draw up the water. As it draws up the water it should draw up the urine with it :D

Good luck to whoever it was who pm-ed you ;)

Our fellow forumer says:

Tried the steamer, it didn't do a thing.

Will try the biological powder thingy tomorrow. Hmmm, I have Bold 2 in 1, wonder if that'll do....

Is it in liquid form? the powders can cause caustic burning in spots if they don't dissolve properly ;)

We have a vax carpet washer and I just keep going over and over the stain until it comes out. Managed to get dried dog blood out of our carpet using it (Thanks to our dog who cut their ear open and sprayed it around the room). Took an age as you have to keep running over it with water and then suck all the water back out slowly. So it might help with a urine stain. Biogical washing up liquid is what I've been told to use, but I rather just get the carpet cleaner out :)

Hi, can anyone recommend a way to neutralise or get rid of the smell of dog pee from carpets.

My Akita x bitch has recently peed twice on the same patch of carpet and even though I've washed the carpet several times, the smell is melting my eyeballs!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/astraman_photos/690f96b8.jpg

this is the guilty party!!!!

There was a product advertised on TV that is quite good - cant remember its name, but the ad was the one where he ripped up some bathroom carpet & stuck it on his chest! Also, I think white vinegar is supposed to be good for neutralising nasty niffs, dont know if it works though!

Vanish is good, or 1001 carpet stuff also, its in a spray bottle with a brush on the end

First of all when you get the wet patch instead of rubbing it you need to blot it with kitchen roll or an old towel get as much urine out as you possibly can, when you have done that you need to use a solution made of biological soap liquid/powder and water and thoroughly wash the area, again blot it and rinse with fresh water.

If the smell lingers you can try using bi carb as a freshener on the dry carpet sprinkle and leave over night and then hoover up.

Hope it improves things for you a bit ....know how you feel :rolleyes:

Note: Threads merged :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advise.

Have tried dilute white vinegar. It seems to be doing the job as we can now breath again, our hair has stopped falling out and the wallpaper is no longer peeling off the walls!!!