Sign in to follow this  

Blame it on Bogart

I have had a fascination with America ever since I was little in the 30s. I believe there was something called a depression going on, but Astaire wore white tie and tails all the time, lived at the Waldorf Astoria, and danced with a beautiful blonde every five minutes. I was scared out of my pants by Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi. But the cream of the crop was Humphrey Bogart, who spoke with a lisp, shot guys, and smoked incessantly, throwing his fag away after three drags. My dad used to finish his woodbine off with a pin through it

when it was so short it burned his fingers.

The glossy magazines didn't help, full of ads for massive cars in all colours of the rainbow, not like the little boxes in black none of us could afford anyway, and the labour saving devices for happy looking women. of course they were happy, No scrubbing board for them, not like my Mom.

I served many years in the RN, travelling all over the world, but never visited America. Then I got a job in Montreal, took my first trip to the Adirondacks in upstate New York, and the rest is history.

How long did it take you to settle in a new country away from Blighty, buck?

Did you ever feel really homesick in the US, and have an urge to return?

I suppose being in the Navy for a long time takes a lot of that feeling of displacement from your native country.

How long did it take you to settle in a new country away from Blighty, buck?

Did you ever feel really homesick in the US, and have an urge to return?

I suppose being in the Navy for a long time takes a lot of that feeling of displacement from your native country.

There was a time when I missed a lot of things about hone, the usual things,the pubs, Sheffield Wednesday. But I had virtually left Sheffield when I was seventeen. I lived in Cornwall a long time while in the RN, and my mother , father,and brother's family all eventually joined me there. When I left the navy,I went back to Shefffield to be near my wife's family, but my wife, who had travelled a lot of the world following me around, couldn't settle there. I married again after my wife died to a native born Irishwoman, and we visit there every year. So not too far from home.I'm very happy herebut still talk yorkshire. I've been asked if I'm Norwegian!! But folks mostly think I'm Irish.

Your home now in that beautiful State of Ct (USA) is well earned buck.

As for the poor satellite signal, when the trees block it, is a price many of think is a price worth paying.

I am sure I speak for all the Writing Group when I say your contributions so far on the SF Writing Group are welcomed and appreciated.

I for one look forward to your future contributions. :):thumbsup:

Now, if we could just get "oldtimer" from Canada to recount a few insights into the pony racing experiences he has had, and his fishing expeditions, the icing would be really on the cake. :hihi::thumbsup:

There was a time when I missed a lot of things about hone, the usual things,the pubs, Sheffield Wednesday. But I had virtually left Sheffield when I was seventeen. I lived in Cornwall a long time while in the RN, and my mother , father,and brother's family all eventually joined me there. When I left the navy,I went back to Shefffield to be near my wife's family, but my wife, who had travelled a lot of the world following me around, couldn't settle there. I married again after my wife died to a native born Irishwoman, and we visit there every year. So not too far from home.I'm very happy herebut still talk yorkshire. I've been asked if I'm Norwegian!! But folks mostly think I'm Irish.
My son works and lives in America.He married an American but still has a Yorkshire accent.My grandchildren though have American accents of course. By the way Buck I loved your piece entitled Blame it on Bogart.!

My son works and lives in America.He married an American but still has a Yorkshire accent.My grandchildren though have American accents of course. By the way Buck I loved your piece entitled Blame it on Bogart.!
My granddaughters, all four of them talk American.The oldest, Betty, is a junior in high school, dresses gothic, and is studying Japanese, she wamts to live there eventuslly. Then I have Megan, 5, her sister Michaela, 3 and their cousin Victoria who's 4. My wife and I took all three of them to the beach at Hammanasett on the Long Island shore yesterday. It was stinking hot but, luckily, the beach wasn't too crowded. So, of course, Poppa, thats me, had to frolic in the surf for hour after hour. Grandma just sits under the shade brollie, and smiles indulgantly, while I end up nackered. Then tired kids sleeping the forty miles home, and supper at Friendly's restaurant, where they get a free sundae after their meal.

Still recovering today, but it was great.These girls are totally fearless, so my job is always to make sure they don't do anything rash or stupid. Someday they'll be teenagers like Betty, and I'll be just an old fart. But they adore me now.