Dog Training Classes (merged thread)

For anyone choosing a training class - please make sure you go along (with or without your dog) and watch before you decide to join.

Make sure that they use techniques that you agree with.

Make sure that they use positive techniques only. This should include lots of praise when things are done right, and possibly the use of tit bits and/or clickers.

The dogs should be enjoying themselves and training should be fun. It should be clear that the trainers are animal lovers themselves.

There should not be lots of shouting, occasionally an owner may correct a dog's negative behaviour, but there shouldn't be a lot of this otherwise it indicates that positive reinforcement is not being used enough.

There should be a mix of cross breeds and pedigrees and the trainers should take on any dog regardless of breed or gender. Some trainers may descriminate against hard to train breeds or bull breeds.

Generally, it's advisable that the trainer should ask for a vaccinations certificate if your dog is only a young puppy as these are susceptible to disease and unvaccinated dogs attending could be carrying something to pass on to an unvaccinated puppy.

Finally, do not rush into anything. Have a look around at different classes and if you have any doubts talk them through and if you're still unsure don't go. It could result in a worse trained dog!

vaccination certificate? I've never been asked for one of those, presumably because I would need my dog to be up to date to meet the same dogs in the street.

Have you been asked for one Lotti?

vaccination certificate? I've never been asked for one of those, presumably because I would need my dog to be up to date to meet the same dogs in the street.

Have you been asked for one Lotti?

At a training class I went to the other day they asked a puppy owner.

I don't think it really applies to older dogs, because some dogs aren't vaccinated but as they get older it's supposed to be less of a worry but for young puppies, it's important they get their initial set of vaccinations as the immunisation they got from their mother wears off.

I personally haven't been asked for one, it depends on the age of your dog and where you go.

Note: Threads merged

Dear all,

Can any one reccommend a dog training class, or obedience class for my mum, she has a collie who is 18 months old, who is quite lively, and doesnt take any notice of her.

When he sees dogs he just wants to play with them, which is ok if the dog responds well, not like what happenend last week when mum took him out.

So I would appreciate any feedback

PM or reply

Cheers Nicky

I can greatly rccomend Katie Patmore who woked wonders with my Dobie a few years ago...

Millhouses dog training have their won website but I can't link it 'cos I haven't made enough posts :)

edit: http://www.bestofbreeds.net/millhouses/

Thanks for that Harmony,

She worked with my dog about 13 years ago, and our dog is still going strong

Cheers Nicky

Hi,

I was after a class that wasn't a course, as sometimes I'm too ill to go and didn't want to spend lots of money to miss lessons. I found a Tuesday night class on Slinn St, Crookes which is great.

The trainer is lovely and knows her stuff but she aims for obedience, no fancy tricks, she just wants a well behaved dog that will concentrate on you rather than other people/dogs.

It's very friendly there, everyone loves each other's dogs and she works on a positive reinforcement method using treats and praise. You are allowed to use a clicker if that's what you do and she never shouts at or hits any dog.

PM me if you want more details.

I assume a beagle who ignores treats when he intends to be naughty wouldn't be welcome there Lotti? :blush:

Note: Threads merged

HI,

Does anyone know of any dog training classes near where i live at southey green? someone told me there is one on halifax road opposite somerfield at a church? does anyone know of this? i saw the posts earlier re: one at millhouses and crookes but as i dont drive they are too far.

Thank you

A.D.T.C.attercliffe dog training committee

run from grimesthorpe family centre every monday night from 7pm

puppies can come at any time adult dogs welcome to come and have a look see but we have new dogs night every eight weeks.

look out for ad in the star, next one is in about5 weeks

we do basic obedience work, walking to heel right up to retrieving articles. there is also a wealth of advice from the many trainers.

good luck

yes there is one at Halifax road, at the Wadsley Bridge Dog Society or something. I can't voice my opinions here so will pm you :thumbsup:

Please also remember to go either alone or with your dog, to watch a class first before enrolling.

Training classes should use positive reinforcement methods which means play or food as a reward and lots of praise when something is done right. There shouldn't be lots of barking or upset dogs and the handlers should not be shouting at dogs or yanking on collars (although I'm sure you knew that!)