Three legged dog

I recently bought a three legged dog, you wouldn,t know unless you looked he can do virtually everythig a normal dog can do.

The problem is when he uses a lamp post he keeps falling over, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:help:

Where did you buy your 3 legged dog from?

I have just got one in our rescue - but its a bitch - so sos not got the same problem. Mine shot past me putting her into her kennl though and she shot off down the field like a full blown greyhound. the speed was amazing - thank god she got to the bottom and decided she wanted to come back.

I suppose you know that dogs peeing is a hormonal thing - so marking their scent in the territory to say that they own it. its also called marking.

A couple of suggestions - if he is young enough - you could get him castrated - which may make a bit of difference, but then poor lad has already had enough surgery no doubt.

The other thing you ould try is a DAP DIFUSER. Its a hormonal scent thats given off - which may prevent him from wantin to scent - wont be that fantastic cos you would have it plugged in in the house, and he obviously pee's outside (hopefully). But , it may calm him down a bit to slow down on it.

Its a bit like people still feeling the pain in the legs they have amputated isn't it. its habit and memory. poor lad.

thanks for the advice rainrescue

i know it sounds silly buying a three legged dog but i saw him being mistreated by agroup of travellers, can i say that on here , so i offered them twenty quid for him.

and now hes mine:thumbsup:

Crikey - its not silly at all. I think its lovely

the van came out of the pound and down to me last week. There were about 10 dogs on in all. The lads had seen this old(er) 3 legged up there and we managed to get her out. There was absolutely no kennel for her. Anyway, they drove to 3 kennels and no-one could fit her in. it was hot, the van broke down - they had all had a bad day.

Well so she came back to me at night, v. stressed and lost.

I have her paired up with another female (which is most unusual) and 4 dogs all et on really well toghether. A lovely lady has read about her on my site, and she is travelling miles and miles to come up from down south for her. Like you obviously are - i call that a nice person.

Often dogs that have had a rough life previously, are fantastic friends.

sorry to hear about your dog like this, perhaps he may learn to "squat" instead of going for the lamposts. my dog still squats occasionally, im sure he thinks he is a girl.

3 legged dogs can live just as well as 4 legged dogs and will learn how to cope with its disability better than some humans

Note: Please lets not go down the slanging match route - keep it nice & there will be no need for any closing.

Im sorry to anyone who has taken offence, i was praising muppet for what she/he did there was a dog even on tv with 3 legs with the same name, like i say no offence was ment.

Hes a yard dog.

Only has three feet.

I know someone with a 3 legged cat and hes a brilliant animal.

Cats and dogs with 3 legs generally do really well, as long as their particular needs are met and they don't get too overweight. Usually loss of a back leg inconveniences them less than losing a front leg, as they use their front legs so much for balance and washing.

If your dog's happy and otherwise healthy muppet, then I hope you have a long and happy life together.

i saw him being mistreated by agroup of travellers... so i offered them twenty quid for him.

and now hes mine:thumbsup:

Aww what a lovely thing you did!

If he's recently lost his leg, it might just take a little while for him to get used to adjusting his balance while he pee's.

If you think it's a problem though, castration might help? Our Toby has pee'd like a girl dog since he was done! Gadget doesn't though so its not a certain solution.

:)

I'm a bit concerned about this fashion for whipping dogs' bits off as a cure all :suspect:

How is he supposed to squat with 3 legs? when he figures out his balance with 3 legs he'll be fine. I'm asuming he's already figured out not to stand on his missing leg? :rolleyes: