How about a parent/carer and child drop in centre?

Tell me about using a drop in centre in Sheffield City Centre?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Tell me about using a drop in centre in Sheffield City Centre?

• I would come once a week.
    • I would come twice a week.
    • I would come 3 times a week.
    • I would not come at all.
    • I would pay up to £1.50 per session.
    • I would pay up to £3.00 per session.
    • I would expect tea/coffee/juice included.
    • I would not expect drinks to be included.

I think we need a city centre drop in group for people to go to with kids. Somewhere you can have coffee but your kids can play safely and you can meet other parents and their kids.

It should be open 1- 3pm Mon, Wed and Fri at least, if not 12 - 3pm everyday until we can afford a constant group.

So, after some research and a lot of letter writing, we've got a central venue, permission and insurance and a tiny amount of funding so far.

We'll have toys for kids aged 0-3 or maybe 0-5 and run 48 weeks a year and do craft stuff and perhaps baking for the older ones, maybe even arrange low cost trips out every once in a while.

Changing facilities for parents of either sex. Lie down toys for tiny babies and bottle warming facilities too.

I'm interested to know if and who would come and how much you'd pay and if not why not?

Great idea i would definatly come at least once a week, I would pay upto £3.00 and would expect childrens drinks to be free but to pay for tea/coffee, (no more than 50p per cup!) The reason for this is that i have three local groups within walking distance two are free and the other £1 per session the drinks are 25p per cuppa. If i was to go to town it would cost me £3.50 on the bus so it could proove too costly if it were any more than £3.00.

The craft/baking idea is great i would love to get involved. Perfect way of teaching my young (9 week old) daughter how to play with others and share things.

Claire

thats a great idea i have 3, almost kids and we often have to go home before we have everything as we are knackered (tired) somewhere to go would be great just to let the kids play and a cup of tea wonderfull, there are not many baby changing areas in the centre another would be very helpfull.

I think this is a great idea. Roughly, where is the venue you've got in mind?

Good idea as most groups near me are in the mornings and I can never manage to get organised early enough to get there!

I think this is a great idea. Roughly, where is the venue you've got in mind?

It's.... erm......near Fargate. I don't want to say to much in case someone else tries to book our venue instead.

But needless to say it will be walking distance from John Lewis, The Lyceum, Primark etc. Hope that helps.

It's.... erm......near Fargate. I don't want to say to much in case someone else tries to book our venue instead.

But needless to say it will be walking distance from John Lewis, The Lyceum, Primark etc. Hope that helps.

That would be perfect for us. :thumbsup:

I think this is a good idea and would definatly come at least once a week

Good one, Zebra - it sounds like a brilliant idea. I don't regularly meet up with any other mums with young babies, but mine loves looking at herself in mirrors, so it'd be great to actually introduce her to a few other young babies - ones that don't copy everything she does (i'd like that too, because other babies are unlikely to pull my hair).

keep us informed....

Looks like we should open on 30th October the way things are going, have got 6 months funding for the rent, just need some cash for equipment to be confirmed then we'll start marketing.

I can't wait to do it, it'll be great for the kids and good for me to meet other parents, plus it means I might be able to stop spending. I hate staying in with the babies so I go out a lot to anywhere I can and invariably spend too much!

More votes on this would be really useful folks, we have a meeting in a few days to decide on costs and the other bits above.

Your ideas and opinions would be appreciated as market research and I can take it along to the meeting.

Incidentally, anyone who can put a link to the parenting section on their sig would be helping, not everyone knows about us yet!

OK, Jellytots is set to open 30th October at the Victoria Methodist Mission on Chapel Walk (not religious just nice central and recently revamped premises) on the lower ground floor at 1pm - 3pm every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Lift access on the Chapel Walk entrance or down the steps on the George Street entrance.

It's just £1.00 with the membership card we will produce at £5.00 for a year or £1.50 at the non members drop in rate.

We will have someone (wo)manning the kitchen to keep the tea's coffee's and juices flowing (bottle warming too), toys, jigsaws, books and crafts on hand and chairs and tables to sit at for the adults.

There's baby changing facilities for women and men and ramp access for anyone on wheels.

We're planning to have a baby equipment sale in November so you can book a table and bring all the bits your tot has grown out of, no longer uses etc. It should be very popular and we'll advertise on SF and hopefully across the city but we'll rely on members to spread the word too.

Then we'll have a bring and buy in December.

There are a few dates we cannot have the room due to previous commitments made before we developed the group, after Christmas there are no exceptions and we will be there come rain or shine.

Hope you can join us.

Zebra

Great! Is this now open please as i may pop in next week?