How do I use my bread maker

Is there a secret to using bread makers, I've got a russell hobbs bread maker and I've tried several loaves now, the white one came out passable but the whole meal or granary looks like a brick, the texture is solid its not nice and light, and the wholemeal one especially, well the birds had it this morning, and I had to soak it in water before even they would eat it,I've got some fast action dry yeast, and strong plain flour, also I only had low salt so wondered if that was why it hadn't risen or is there some other secret weapon,also the recipe says vegetable oil should I use butter instead,or should I just go to asda and buy a loaf.

Might sound daft, but are you using proper sugar (not sugar replacement)?

Otherwise the yeast won't have any food.

Other than that, have you followed the instructions correctly, to set up the bread maker on the right programme? Most bread makers can make different types of breads, so you'll need to use the most appropriate setting.

Yes I've got real sugar,I thought it was the salt and I'm going to have another go today, even thought I wasn't putting enough liquid in but I've done what it says,thankyou anyway

I used lo salt in mine and didn't have a problem.

I've had the odd mishap and odd flat thing come out !

Getting the water temp right is important so I've been told.

Also I find the packet mixes (which I occasionally use) tend to rise too big and come outta the lid!!

Easy - buy packet mix from your local supermarket - whack it in your machine - add water and hey presto ;)

Should your bread start to rise to the lid - take you kife and slice the top of it a little to let some air out :)

Thankyou Merlin not tried packet mix,is everything in the packet that i need

i have a breadmaker, i tend to make the dough and then make breadcakes. They are lovely. Just follow the instructions correctly, its trial and error. Jam is very nice aswell,

measure exactly (or use the packet stuff, makes perfect loafs) and use tepid water.

i have a breadmaker, i tend to make the dough and then make breadcakes. They are lovely. Just follow the instructions correctly, its trial and error. Jam is very nice aswell,

Same Here.I Can't Actually Remember The Last Time I Used My Breadmaker To Make A Loaf.:thumbsup:

I bought a bread maker with the full intention of using it but never have. It's now home to a rather large spider and i think he may have been dead for a while. I'm wary of the machine that does it all for you, how good are the resulting loaves?

you need to make sure you use their idea of tablespoons and teaspoons , not what the rest of the world recognise as being such!

when i did the wholemeal i put two thirds wholemeal flour and one third white its lighter and not as heavy