Sign in to follow this  

Kipper gets a brass plaque

Anyone familiar with Kipper the black cat from Nether Edge shops will be (perhaps) pleased to know that they are collecting for a little brass plaque in Threshers.

Can you tell us Kipper's story Phan?

Anyone familiar with Kipper the black cat from Nether Edge shops will be (perhaps) pleased to know that they are collecting for a little brass plaque in Threshers.

I am good friends with his owner. I think she was amazed by this idea when we talked about it yesterday. Whats your connection? Do you work in the offie?

She was the black cat that lived up and around Nether Edge shops, frequently seen sleeping on the counter in Threshers, under the spotlights - or in the Launderette, during the winter.

I've been in Nether Edge seven years and have seen the cat around for probably all that time. Kipper was always very friendly, receptive and chilled - and she met with similar kind of people, often befriending Cafe #9 customers sat outside.

Kipper died recently, and her owner put up a notice in the Post Office window - which is how we found out she was called Kipper - thanking everyone for their kindness to her. I've now been told, she's going to have her own memorial, a small plaque.

I think she must have died of old age, as she seemed very frail when we last met in Threshers, and the hot weather may have finally sapped her last reserves.

(note:Kipper may have been a male, I'm not sure).

Either way, it's a very Nether Edge thing to happen.

I am good friends with his owner. I think she was amazed by this idea when we talked about it yesterday. Whats your connection? Do you work in the offie?

No connection other than I met Kipper quite often.

Just wondered becuase the offie staff loved him and fed and sheltered him many times. There was one time the offie owner was called out at 4 or 5 am to deal with the burglar alarm going off. When he finally arrived bedraggled and knackered , he opened the place up for the police and out strolled Kipper - calm as you like - and went home!

Even after that the offie staff still looked after him and loved him to the end!!

:)

Awwww, I'm sure he brightened so many peoples' day!

Where's his plaque going to be?

I just put £2 in the pot when I went up to buy some tobacco, they are up to £160 out of the £200 requested for a Marble plaque no less.

The plaque is the personal idea of the Manager at Threshers. Whoever you are I raise my glass to you.

I can't pretend I was Kipper's best friend or anything, but she certainly contributed to the groovy vibe up there.

I would imagine the plaque will be along the parade of shops somewhere.