View Full Version : The John Banner shop in The Wicker

jackbowler
01-08-2006, 22:11
As a kid in the early sixties I remember going into the Banner shop in the Wicker not far from the bridge. I recall some sort of funny money tokens being used shaped not unlike old threepenny bits, being placed in air tubes and whizzed around the shop, a bit like Tesco do nowadays but not half as much fun to watch as they were then.
I hope this really did happen and is not a figment of my imagination or the effects of drinking home made Russian wine whilst in the Royal Navy!!!
Anyone else remember BANNERS?

Jack Bowler

poppins
01-08-2006, 22:18
As a kid in the early sixties I remember going into the Banner shop in the Wicker not far from the bridge. I recall some sort of funny money tokens being used shaped not unlike old threepenny bits, being placed in air tubes and whizzed around the shop, a bit like Tesco do nowadays but not half as much fun to watch as they were then.
I hope this really did happen and is not a figment of my imagination or the effects of drinking home made Russian wine whilst in the Royal Navy!!!

Jack Bowler

Yes, John Banners was very popular now I think back, I thought it was down the moor though, guess not.

nanrobbo
02-08-2006, 04:16
I remember a Banners on Attercliffe Road?? The tokens were part of a system whereby you got a cheque from a lender (loanee?) which could only be used at Banners. Any change from using the cheque had to be tokens (no cash). I think that's how it went can anyone verify?
PS that is how most of us kids got Whitsuntide clothes.

CHAIRBOY
02-08-2006, 05:36
I remember Banners but not in The Wicker! My recollection was that it was on Attercliffe Road, just beyond Staniforth Road?

shirty30
02-08-2006, 06:03
It's now a Sari Shop!

alankearn
02-08-2006, 06:26

Jack Bowler

You remember almost correctly, It was on the right hand side just pass the junction of Attercliffe Rd and Staniforth Rd going out towards Rotherham. If I remember correctly it was a mini department store complete with escalators

Joanl
02-08-2006, 07:10
I remember a Banners on Attercliffe Road?? The tokens were part of a system whereby you got a cheque from a lender (loanee?) which could only be used at Banners. Any change from using the cheque had to be tokens (no cash). I think that's how it went can anyone verify?

Yes, this is how it was exactly....It was a big shop, 3 floors I think and yes it had escalators and a lift and yes I remember getting Whitsuntide clothes from there too and the Banners Cheque:thumbsup:
I actually had a job there in 1960, ladies fashions, 1st floor I think just before I got married.:)
Oh if only I knew then what I know now.:hihi:

rubydazzler
02-08-2006, 07:20
Banner's building is still there ... but nowadays I think the upper floors are offices and the ground floor is several different shops. The Sari Shop is further down the road, I think. I drive past it several times a week so I'll try to remember to check it out next time :)

algy
02-08-2006, 07:26
I remember Banners but not in The Wicker! My recollection was that it was on Attercliffe Road, just beyond Staniforth Road?

I'm sure that's right. They did have another shop at Firvale too.

nanrobbo
02-08-2006, 12:43
Yes, this is how it was exactly....It was a big shop, 3 floors I think and yes it had escalators and a lift and yes I remember getting Whitsuntide clothes from there too and the Banners Cheque:thumbsup:
I actually had a job there in 1960, ladies fashions, 1st floor I think just before I got married.:)
Oh if only I knew then what I know now.:hihi:
Yea and it did have those air tube thingies which were fascinating to kids- and I was terrified of the escalators (first I'd ever seen and I was only lickle):P
Posh eh! ladies fashions!

Falls
02-08-2006, 13:11
Hello,

I remember Banners on Attercliffe road very well, but it was not in the Wicker. The first time I ever rode on an escalator was at Banner's. Remember the stair treads were all made of wood.

It was one of several good shops along there. Anybody remember a very good drapery shop, I think called Chapman's. It was on the same side as Banner's, between the Palace and Worksop Road. People used to come from all over town to buy materials there.

Falls

sixsigma
02-08-2006, 23:19
I too remember John Banners. I worked for a company that every put up the large christmas trees on the canopy, until one year they fell down on a very windy day and took out the power lines that ran down Attercliffe road.

peterw
03-08-2006, 01:54
John Banners was definitely on Attercliffe Road and was the first department store in Sheffield to have escalators.

bluebird62
03-08-2006, 09:48
Jack Bowler
-------------------------------------------------------
Hello jackbowler.
I think you will find out that the shop you are on about is "schweizer's" shop they also had a shop at 611 Attercliffe Road. I say also, as they were 2 brothers. The shop in the wicker after closing, moved to snigg hill.
There was only the 1 john Banners which was on Attercliffe, this grew from a single story building in 1894 which grew to the larger store in 1933. he died July 7th 1930 aged 80 years old.

bluebird62
03-08-2006, 09:55
Yes, John Banners was very popular now I think back, I thought it was down the moor though, guess not.

Hello poppins
You guessed correctly, as there was only the 1 john Banners which was on Attercliffe, this grew from a single story building in 1894 which grew to the larger store in 1933. he died July 7th 1930 aged 80 years old.

bluebird62
03-08-2006, 09:59

Hello nanrobbo.

you are correct there about the banners tokens.

bluebird62

nanrobbo
03-08-2006, 10:39
Thanks bluebird62 and I was sure that the old brainbox was on the bllnk:hihi:
Funny the things you remember eh?

bluebird62
03-08-2006, 10:40

Hello CHAIRBOY,

You are spot on there.

Nigel Womersle
03-08-2006, 11:14

The air tubes were made by Lamson Paragon. I once worked in a shop that had them and I put the cannister in the tube without closing it. The money went all over, and the firm of Steel, Peach & Tozer had to be called out to put it all back to normal. I got told off, but as I hated the rotten place, I couldn't have cared less. It wan not Banners by the way.

bluebird62
03-08-2006, 12:54
You remember almost correctly, It was on the right hand side just pass the junction of Attercliffe Rd and Staniforth Rd going out towards Rotherham. If I remember correctly it was a mini department store complete with escalators

Hello alan

Banners was not a mini department store. It was a full department store, no one need to go into town to do their shopping, you could get anything from a sewing needle to a wardrobe to a carpet for your home.
It was Jacksons on the lower ground which was a mini market selling toys, kitchenware, and stationery, drink and food.
Ground floor was womens fashions and the shoe department.Gloves.
2nd floor, was the Mens department, and some of the ladies underware, and curtains.
3rd floor were the beds and bedroom furniture along with the gressing gowns and father christmas at christmas time,
i apologise if i have missed something out, please contact me if you know what it is. thanks.

alankearn
03-08-2006, 15:23
Hello alan

Banners was not a mini department store. It was a full department store, no one need to go into town to do their shopping, you could get anything from a sewing needle to a wardrobe to a carpet for your home.
It was Jacksons on the lower ground which was a mini market selling toys, kitchenware, and stationery, drink and food.
Ground floor was womens fashions and the shoe department.Gloves.
2nd floor, was the Mens department, and some of the ladies underware, and curtains.
3rd floor were the beds and bedroom furniture along with the gressing gowns and father christmas at christmas time,
i apologise if i have missed something out, please contact me if you know what it is. thanks.

I was wrong to call it mini, I cannot remember Jacksons on the ground floor but I seem to remember that at one time (1950s ?) Banners used all three floors. But my memory is a bit vague nowadays and I could be wrong.

Joanl
03-08-2006, 15:33
I was wrong to call it mini, I cannot remember Jacksons on the ground floor but I seem to remember that at one time (1950s ?) Banners used all three floors. But my memory is a bit vague nowadays and I could be wrong.
I can't either to be honest and I worked there for a time in about 1960. I was on ladies fashions and I am 99.99% certain that we were on the 1st or 2nd floor.
I seem to recall ground being cosmetics, heel bar, accessories oh wouldn't it be great if you could re- wind your memory cells.arghhhhhhh.:huh:

Plain Talker
03-08-2006, 16:09
Bluebird, I do remember shopping at jacksons supermarket in the basement, in Banners' building, but that was from about the 70's, through the eighties, when the "business centre" thing took banners over. (if my memory serves me well...

shoeshine
03-08-2006, 16:52
I was born, and lived in Rotherham. I remember going to Banner's shop in the late 1940's with my mother for some clothing I think....I guess that would be for my annual Whitsuntide clothing but I can't be sure.

I know my Mum and her two sisters regularly mentioned Banner's shop, and I think they would go shopping there on occasions. It must have been quite a trek from Rotherham for them.

In the early part of the '60s, I would be about 20 years old, and got an Italian-style Suit (a la Beatles) from a shop a few doors away from Banner's, on the Rotherham side of Banner's shop. I can't remember the name of that particular establishment though.

nanrobbo
04-08-2006, 03:19
I was born, and lived in Rotherham. I remember going to Banner's shop in the late 1940's with my mother for some clothing I think....I guess that would be for my annual Whitsuntide clothing but I can't be sure.

I know my Mum and her two sisters regularly mentioned Banner's shop, and I think they would go shopping there on occasions. It must have been quite a trek from Rotherham for them.

In the early part of the '60s, I would be about 20 years old, and got an Italian-style Suit (a la Beatles) from a shop a few doors away from Banner's, on the Rotherham side of Banner's shop. I can't remember the name of that particular establishment though.
I remember a Burtons menswear on the corner passed Banners (to Sheff)
probably the shop you meant Austen Reed?

Fowler
04-08-2006, 15:34
I went past there today and you can still see the imprint of the original John Banner lettering.

Does anyone know what the small building next to it is. It looks like they were both built at the same time in the same style.

The building i'm on about is on the side road opposite the chicken place.

peterw
06-08-2006, 00:57

From Rotherham they’d most likely have taken a tram. Rotherham trams did run past Banners. I remember them well, during that same period. Unlike Sheffield trams, the front was driver-only and when they arrived in Sheffield their terminus was outside the old Brightside and Carbrook Co-op. From there, they did a loop on the return journey. Very comfortable trams, actually — as were those in Sheffield!

lazyherbert
14-02-2007, 20:09

yes you are spot on, they also had the wooden escalator inside.

Plain Talker
14-02-2007, 21:32
wasn't Banners the first UK department store to have escalators?

I'm sure i have some Banners' cheques (tokens) somewhere, if I look.

*sigh* those were the days! *sigh*

buck
15-02-2007, 04:10
PS that is how most of us kids got Whitsuntide clothes.You are quite right. The interest charged on that cheque was a shilling in the pound (5%) a year. I would have been bareassed except for them.

crookesey
15-02-2007, 10:22
I remember a Burtons menswear on the corner passed Banners (to Sheff)
probably the shop you meant Austen Reed?

Austin Reed was a very posh mens outfitters and was situated at the Fargate end of Chapel Walk and later relocated to Barkers Pool where Holland and Barratt now trade.

The other John Banners was at Fir Vale on the right hand side as you are at the traffic lights facing the old corner entrance to the Northern General Hospital.

Plain Talker
15-02-2007, 14:44
there was a burtons on the corner of staniforth road, it's a really ornate building, it's now a furniture shop IIRC.

there was also a burtons on the opposite side near vicarage lane (I think that's the name of the road, beside the adelphi. (Next road back to town from newhall road) it's now a car spares shop.

brooklynex
10-08-2012, 18:24
John Banners was definitely on Attercliffe Road and was the first department store in Sheffield to have escalators.

According to these pages, the first department store outside London to have them.

alemap
10-08-2012, 18:41
I went past there today and you can still see the imprint of the original John Banner lettering.

Does anyone know what the small building next to it is. It looks like they were both built at the same time in the same style.

The building i'm on about is on the side road opposite the chicken place.

used to be a post office at the side of banners on the side road

alemap
10-08-2012, 18:46
there was a burtons on the corner of staniforth road, it's a really ornate building, it's now a furniture shop IIRC.

there was also a burtons on the opposite side near vicarage lane (I think that's the name of the road, beside the adelphi. (Next road back to town from newhall road) it's now a car spares shop.

there used to be alexanders tailors near a tv/electrical shop snelsons. alexanders
ithink changed to march the tailors

cleegirl
10-08-2012, 20:06
I remember Banners but not in The Wicker! My recollection was that it was on Attercliffe Road, just beyond Staniforth Road?thats right bottom of staniforth road banners checks were very poplular then

ikikath
10-08-2012, 22:38
John Banners Shop was on Attercliffe common i worked there in the sixties on Ladies underwear and also on shoes for a while they even had a fashion show each year with profesional models but gave some of the shop girls a go too i was chosen and wore a jacket with a zip up fastening didnt fall off the runway but guess what the zip stuck as i was supossed to show the fancy pattern inside !!!!! didnt want to be a model anyway anyone else out there remember those shows ?

denlin
11-08-2012, 07:42
I'm sure that's right. They did have another shop at Firvale too.

No they didn't

Saxon
11-08-2012, 07:45
My auntie used to work at Banners on the wool department and I'm sure I've for some old photos from the 60's somewhere of Xmas parties. I'll have a look when I've got time

kay1
11-08-2012, 19:37
I am sure the shop at Firvale was a branch of Blanchards, the main store was on Infirmary Rd. opposite Tesco, it is now a furniture shop, I shopped at Blanchards in the sixties and all purchases were parcelled up in brown paper and tied with string no fancy bags with the stores name on them, only if you shopped at the posh shops in Town like Walshes or Cole Bros.

brooklynex
13-08-2012, 14:56

That store was Burgess's and was between Banners and Staniforth Road. It was probably the best men's store outside the city centre and better than some in it!

wobblybob50
13-08-2012, 15:16
I have got a Banners token, Its about 1" round with serrated edges made of brass and has 1d on it. It was my Nans who lived on Stovin Road and took my sister and myself into Banners as kids in the early 60's.

papillons1
16-08-2012, 09:00
The shop further down from Banners was Hitchins" which is now a sari shop. Next door was a airfix modeling shop.
Both were very popular.

alemap
16-08-2012, 14:25
The shop further down from Banners was Hitchins" which is now a sari shop. Next door was a airfix modeling shop.
Both were very popular.

the original post was about banners in the early sixties and the Hitchins shop you have mentioned was then Littlewoods. attercliffe was plentiful of shops then one of my sister-in-laws worked at woolworth at that time

brooklynex
16-08-2012, 14:53
the original post was about banners in the early sixties and the Hitchins shop you have mentioned was then Littlewoods. attercliffe was plentiful of shops then one of my sister-in-laws worked at woolworth at that time
Are you sure it was Hitchins? as Littlewood's was already there, if so then I don't know where I got Burgess's from.

alemap
16-08-2012, 15:04
burgess's was as you stated on the opposite corner to banners and then liittlewoods which later became hitchins and burtons on the corner of staniforth rd in the late50/60's probably a couple of little shops in between em

Jim Hardie
16-08-2012, 22:05
burgess's was as you stated on the opposite corner to banners and then liittlewoods which later became hitchins and burtons on the corner of staniforth rd in the late50/60's probably a couple of little shops in between em

Wow, Burgess's was there before Banners. See 2:24 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I4CR38iQx0)

alemap
17-08-2012, 12:34
my husband john was very much suprized to see this as well. he has really enjoyed looking through the old photos, well done billy casper for putting up on the forum brilliant

Caroline
25-08-2012, 12:19
I can remember as a young child walking down to Attercliffe with my mum, sister and nan. We used to go there for the shops and Banners was one of them. As a young child I found it very impressive. There used to be such a wide range of shops in those days.