South Yorkshire police

Guest Guest

My car was broken into about 2 weeks ago. First they send me a "Victim of Crime" letter and leaflet. The leaflet is meant to include details of the detective investigating my case, his/her phone number etc. but it was actually blank! Also, today I received some unsolicited mail from the Police offering me a discount on a Wheel lock! Well the thieves that smashed in to my car just wanted the stereo, so what's the use of a wheel lock?!

It doesn't say much for South Yorks police!

The police don't seem to have got things right at all.

I was walking through Hillsborough with my grandson and we

were stopped twice by the "truant police". My grandson was off school

quite legit.

They asked him for his name and address ,school and class.

They did not asked me for any about myself.

What if a child is with a person it should not be with?

I would think that the hard truants (who should be dealt with) would

hand around in gangs , not with their GRANNIES!!!

Is it something about Hillsborough. I was shopping last year with my 16 year old son. Leaving him with several carrier bags I went inside a boring shop (his term, not mine) only to return and find him surrounded by four rather threatening young men. Maternal instincts on full alert I waded in only to be shown their ID and told they believed him to be 'Joe Bloggs' as he was dressed similarly (typical youth attire-baggy jeans, Nike jacket and those hats that seemed sensible when they were five but wouldn't wear then) He produced ID, I produced ID, they checked our address and non existant criminal records, asked 'trick' questions of both of us e.g. ' what's your sons birthdate and what's your mum's maiden name?' . They then made him take of his hat and scrutinised him, then said 'ok you're not Joe Bloggs, but stop dressing like him' and walked away. A crowd had gathered so we got our act together and went home, my son was very embarrassed and later explained that he had felt quite frightened when he was initially approached by four 'thugs' who only revealed their identity when I approached. Any wonder the youth of today have no respect for the police?

Some time ago now, I was burgled twice within three weeks. The police officer who attended on both occasions was sympathetic and helpful...he told what pub to go to in order to buy back my stolen property.

The subsequent visit by a Crime Prevention Officer was extremely useful, his advice that we should not secure our belongings as " they only cause more damage" was particularly enlightening. We should not really be blaming South Yorkshire Police of course. They have to work to the guidelines they receieve from above and when the Lord Chancellor says that burglars should not go to prison, we can hardly expect the Police to expend resources on actually catching burglars.

The problems do not come from Snig Hill, they come from Whitehall and the Police are having to respond to the goal posts being moved on almost a daily basis.

I can say loads of bad things with regards to South Yorkshire Police until I'm blue in the face. I've done my law abiding citizen duties and reported crimes expecting the police to respond and get the little b*****ds, but they have got me nowhere and the last laugh is usually with the little b*****ds as they carry on destroying property, stealing cos they are aware they have time on their side as there ain't enough plod to deal with such incidents.

I agree, the South Yorkshire police are only interested in catching speeding traffic. Easy money for them.

Just my 2 cents!

Same here.

I rang the police a couple of weeks ago about an underage driver on the estate where I live, I gave his name and his address. I was told they couldn't do anything unless I actually got the reg of the car.

They know who it is and if they had bothered to just drive around the estate for 30 mins they would have seen him. I suspect they are waiting until he seriously hurts or kills someone.

Also we are plagued by yobs/vandals/animals in the block of flats where I live, I have again given names to police, they are also captured on cctv committing acts of vandalism and again nothing has been done.

It's a joke, to be honest I am petrified about that state of this city/country. Yobs are running the streets and are being allowed to do so.

Last year some lowlife piece of **** who should have been smothered at birth and rendered down into pet food tried to steal my daughters mobile phone. She did the sensible thing and legged it unharmed.

Phoned the police who came out, took a statement, my daughter identified the man from their mug shot book and guess what, we will keep an eye on him sir!

Ha, said I. Is that it. :x

It wasn't worth pursuing as they would find it difficult to prove that he intended to steal the phone.

The lady PC wouldn't show me the guys picture.

I wonder why.

I have found the police in sheffield, on the occasions that I have had to deal with them, exemplary and sympathetic.

But then I am not looking for retribution, so much as due process. Being a police officer is a job of work that is neither pleasant nor easy.

Speeding Kills. Burglary very rarely does. I tend to rate saving lives over saving property, much like the fire service. And yes, I have 3 Speeding points, and I paid my fine without complaint.

My £0.02.

Thanks for the reply spook1210.

I did agree with the PC that the likelyhood of a conviction was remote but they could have given him a tug and a talking to as you would have then at least he would have been aware that the police had their eye on him.

You never know but he might have thought twice about doing it again.

Also I couldn't care less about the phone, I was more concerned that my daughter could walk the streets of Sheffield safely in daylight without being attacked for a lump of plastic to pay for the next fix.

I am not looking for retribution either Phanerothyme, just the guy who attacked my daughter 8)