Gleadless - history books?

My husband family all came from the gleadless area and we are looking around to find local history books can anyone help us and point us in the right direction please :D

Try A History of Gleadless By Pauline Shearstone saw it @ W.H Smiths the other day :D or goto a library its cheaper :wink:

We have allready got that book but thanks for the help it is a book by the same author that we are looking for my husband seems to think it is called gleadless a village to a suberb if any one out there has heard of this or can give guidence on how we would find it we would be garetfull cheers for the reply :wink:

hello i came from there what is your hubbys name

Hi there my husband name is Dennis Marsden and they lived around Hollinsend if that is of any help

:D

thank you but dont know him but i know were he lived i had a aunt who lived there her sons name was david rolley

Marie I have just noted your location my Aunt used to live and work there in the Royal Bank of Canada she is sadly no longer with us and she retired back here in Yorkshire but she did not originate from Yorkshire she came from Scotland as did my father and myself. Enough of my waffling my husband does not recall your cousins name but my husband is almost 66 so perhaps it is his age ha ha Once again thanks for getting in touch :D

Originally posted by woolply

Marie I have just noted your location my Aunt used to live and work there in the Royal Bank of Canada she is sadly no longer with us and she retired back here in Yorkshire but she did not originate from Yorkshire she came from Scotland as did my father and myself. Enough of my waffling my husband does not recall your cousins name but my husband is almost 66 so perhaps it is his age ha ha Once again thanks for getting in touch :D

hello yes its a small world

Pauline Shearstone did write two books on Gleadless one of which you have, In my opinion the second one you refer to is the better of the two, you should get it somewhere as I think it is still current.

My husband family all came from the gleadless area and we are looking around to find local history books can anyone help us and point us in the right direction please :D

Hi,

I don't know of any particular books but there is a Gleadless Valley Local History Group, they meet every Friday 2-4pm at Newfield Green Tenants Hall. Perhaps they can help.