Having trouble with commands.

Hello!

I've recently noticed that Jess, my Collie x puppy, has stopped responding to 'leave it' and will only obey my boyfriends 'bugger off'. Seeing as Jess gets overexcited by kids on bikes, this is quite inconvenient!

Any ideas of how to sort this short of shouting more at the other half about language infront of the dog?

Thanks!

try lowering your tone and just use leave instead of leave it as the extra word may confuse the dog also make sure you paise it after its done as you said u could reward it with dog chocolate drops or a biscuit it will soon learn all puppys have lapses

Hi Helly,

I taught Takara to 'leave it' but when out she wouldn't do it so try getting a lunge rope, and as soon as you see a likely distraction put her on the lunge rope (or extending lead) and get the treats at the ready. Still allow her freedom on the rope so that she is not being restrained until necessary.

As she notices the distraction say 'leave it' or 'leave' and wait for her to respond if she doesn't repond, reel her in (this is why lunge ropes are better than extending leads). Don't give her the opportunity to disobey you. If she doesn't respond then reinforce it by bringing her in towards you as she reaches you, praise her and reward with treats.

After a few attempts, you should be able to say 'leave' and not have to reel her in but keep the long lead on her to reinforce it just in case. Always remember lots of praise.

Takara ambushed fishermen when on walks and tried to steal their bait, hence she has had this treatment and she will now walk past and doesn't show any interest, if she does show interest a quick 'no, leave' will stop her.

Brude is/was scared silly of bikes.

He's difficult to get the attention of - being a beagle, so we used the 'sit, stay, wait, wait, wait, good dog, wait' method when approached by another dog or a bike. Lots of reassurance and many whispered commands, so as not to reinforce his urge to bark

Don't have a 'leave it' problem as my Rosie lurcher turns tail and runs away or hides from anything on fou or two legs which she sees approaching from a mile away, she is especialy scared of rabbits. We are at a compromise at the moment as we have stopped her running but she has to hide, so we lurk in bushes as the 'scary things' go past. This is fine when i'm on my own or with OH. However OH isn't too keen as he has had a few 'hard stares' from passing women.

Don't have a 'leave it' problem as my Rosie lurcher turns tail and runs away or hides from anything on fou or two legs which she sees approaching from a mile away, she is especialy scared of rabbits. We are at a compromise at the moment as we have stopped her running but she has to hide, so we lurk in bushes as the 'scary things' go past. This is fine when i'm on my own or with OH. However OH isn't too keen as he has had a few 'hard stares' from passing women.

Awww poor Rosie lurcher, my Durham is a real scardey cat as well, but he knows what wild rabbits are for :hihi:.

What kind of lurcher is Rosie? Durham is a greyxsaluki .