Any other sled-dog owners in the area?

We have 3 husky girls and a boy, plus two pups joining us next month. We work them in harness and would love to meet up with anyone else in the area who owns sled-dog breeds for training sessions (huskies, malamutes, greenlands,samoyds). we currently train in bolton with a few other 'mushers' but would like to try other training runs and meet other mushers locally. If you own these breeds, dont work them, but would like to, you are welcome to join us and we will teach you and your dog(s) the ropes. we train for fun at the moment, but are planning to compete next season. go on! the dogs love it, its what they are bred to do!

I went Husky sledding in Finland in February - Brill but scary. For the first 2 days I had four dogs then we had a 3 day expedition out into the wilds so I had 5 dogs. They took off and I just flew off the back - ended up being dragged before someone could stop them.

They weren't all Huskys - some were just normal pointer types and cross breeds. When the temps went down to minus 30 some of the shorter haired dogs came and shared our hut.

I know there are local mushers around. I visited a house in Rotherham and the next door neighbour had huskies that he worked.

we mostly have to make do with wheeled rigs in the UK, but its my ambition to one day take my pack somewhere with snow on pet passports to try the real thing with them.

Isn't it possible to do the real thing in Scotland?

dunno M8!. but something im going to check out. i know sled-dog ppl often take both wheeled and skids versions to rallies just on the offchance of decent snow. Maybe I should wait till snow closes the woodhead pass and have a bash on there observed by the single copper gaurding the flouch end:P

A friend of mine uses her sled dogs for pulling her on mountainbikes!

And boy is it soooo much easier going uphill.

She's been to Scotland for some competitions.

yep, mountain bikes are or preferred method of training the young dogs, can be a bit scary but great help uphill

I've seen someone with a pack of Huskys with a sled type thing in wharncliffe woods. Our dog stared at them for at least 10 minutes after they'd gone past, in shock lol.

dunno M8!. but something im going to check out. i know sled-dog ppl often take both wheeled and skids versions to rallies just on the offchance of decent snow. Maybe I should wait till snow closes the woodhead pass and have a bash on there observed by the single copper gaurding the flouch end:P

I wanna see see photo's if you do :thumbsup:

yep, mountain bikes are or preferred method of training the young dogs, can be a bit scary but great help uphill
I've always enjoyed it and less chance of going over a precipice. Even dogs aren't that daft.

I don't have sled dogs but I know Takara would love it. My friend has a dalmatian who does it on a small scale (obviously not with a rig because there's only one of him!).

I'd love to try it with Takara but she'd need the help of another dog of similar speed and Eddy just can't keep up bless him!

Must make exercising your dogs so much easier!

Dallies would be pretty good at it I reckon, were they not carriage dogs originally that ran alongside/behind/whatever horse drawn vehicles? get yourself a team of two and come join us on a sunday morning ;) I'll lend you the harness, lines and rig.

BTW: the team you saw in wharncliffe woods, could well have been us, one of our training areas.

couple of pics here for you:

bbb5.jpg

bbb7.jpg

bbb.jpg

bbb1.jpg