Sign in to follow this  

England V Portugal

There's no doubt this is gonna be difficult

I think, again, if we play to our ability we'll come out top - The portuguese are an ageing team and IMO not as strong as they were when they beat us in Euro 2000 - They however, do have home support of course which to some extent will be nullified by our ******* great support over there!

Hopefully we don't have any injuries as a result of last night

COME ON ENGLAND!

Portugal haven't looked that great so far, but I've got this horrible feeling that we'll play well but they're still gonna beat us. At least we played better last night and we were able to string a few passes together at last! Attacking wise we're pretty strong but I'm still worried about us defensively which is odd when you think of Cole, Campbell, Terry and Neville, they're hardly poor players!

I actually thought our fans were quite quiet when we were 1-0 down. That's when the team needs the support the most. It's easy to sing when you're winning. Having said that there's loads of St. George's flag in the stadiums when we play and even in matches when we're not playing.

I think it's gonna be tough playing the hosts, fingers crossed for us to get through.

I agree. I think that provided all 11 players play well, and more importantly they play well together (which they did well yesterday against Croatia I thought - particularly in the 2nd half) then I honestly believe we can win.

It will be a tough test though, and if we're not completely up for it and playing well we will get punished.

I think the most important thing is we look more than able to score (hence being the top scorers at this stage!), and in open play our defense looks pretty solid. Our only weakness at the moment is set peices - we're conceding far too many, and too many are resulting in goal scoring opertunites (and goals!).

Provided we cut that out - we should be fine (fingers crossed).

COME ON ENGLAND!!

To me this game is a nailed on penalty shoot out. Both teams will be a bit cagey with all players not wanting to make a mistake with it being knockout..I can see is 1-1 AET..then on to dreaded penalties...don't know if my nerves can take it

nooooooo don't want penalties

no good for me ticker like :(

Oh God NO! I couldn't handle going out of yet another top tournament on penalties :o

I think it will be a very tough game, moreso than the one vs France as Portugal have a few games under their belt and have certainly warmed up since their defeat to Greece.

C. Ronaldo is playing superbly although I don't think Figo has yet shown us everything he is capable of. Let's hope he he doesn't hit form vs England.

I haven't been overly impressed with the Portugese attack but their midfield vs ours will be fun...*bites fingernails*.

Will be a damn good match hopefully whatever. If we win this I think we will have a great chance of reaching the final.

On last night's showing, they can beat anyone. It won't be easy, but I'm confident that we can do it.

All 4 of the goals we have conceded so far have been set pieces - 2 from crossed free kicks headed in, 1 direct free kick and 1 penalty. The worst part is that all 4 were also needless and self inflicted. Pointless and clumsy tackles from Heskey, Beckham and Cole resulted in the 3 free kicks and the Gerrard calamity caused the penalty. In open play I think we're tight defensively. Therefore this issue has to be addressed - stop giving away silly free kicks and practice defending set pieces more and winning the headers. If we get this right I don't think Portugal pose much of a threat. If we do lose, we will have thrown it away ourselves with mistakes rather than Portugal outplaying us. I could be wrong though - Portugal might be saving their best for the knock out stages.

I'm not convinced that Portugal are playing that well. I thought they were lucky against Spain and their victory over Russia had a lot to do with a dodgy decision by the ref. I fancy us to beat them in 90 minutes.

3 -1 to england

rooney (2) and beckham to score

any takers?

I don't think Portugal have been playing well either. Their play has always been attractive and that remains but they gave the ball away very easily against Spain.

I remember when they beat England 1-0 in the opening game of the 1986 world cup.

ok, here goes:

England 4 - 0 Portugal. :thumbsup:

Rooney 2

Owen 1

Beckham free kick