View Full Version : Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

gosling
22-07-2006, 04:12
I am searching for anyone who attended Abbeydale in the years 1944 to 1949. It seems strange that none of them are members of the forum, surely some of them are still alive.

tess667
23-07-2006, 18:07
my mum went there but not between those years!

teeny
23-07-2006, 21:41
one of my mates was called Stella did ?

CHAIRBOY
14-04-2007, 19:33
I am searching for anyone who attended Abbeydale in the years 1944 to 1949. It seems strange that none of them are members of the forum, surely some of them are still alive.

Hi Gosling. I have seen the 1948 picture in Saturday 14 April's "Star" and was going to post the appeal. I suspect from the maiden name that you have sent it in?

Heeley tyke
14-04-2007, 23:57

My wife went to Abbeydale Grammar School from 1946 to 1951 or thereabouts.

gosling
15-04-2007, 04:59
Hi Chairboy. Yes it was I who sent in the photo and am now waiting to see if I get any results

Mrs. Black
19-06-2007, 19:29
Hello - I attended Abbeydale Grammar between 1944-49! In my last year I was in Form 5M - Miss Moore's. I remember the name Gosling but can't remember your first name. I was then Betty Wain. Do you remember me?

gosling
20-06-2007, 09:32
Hi Betty, Sorry but I don't remember your name, my name is June and I was in Miss Jean Smith's form. I would love to hear from you, maybe you could send me a private message. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many of us left of that vintage.

pavlo1969
22-06-2007, 01:13
my mum was there, 1960 onwards. she was called Jenifer Revill.

i know one of her teachers was called Mrs/Miss Williams.

gosling
22-06-2007, 04:05
I have recieved an email from Elizabeth Lowe re Abbeydale Girls Grammar School, but she forgot to give me her email address so that I could reply. Could any kind person help me to contact her, I would be very grateful.

gosling
23-06-2007, 08:41
Hi Mrs Black, I've been informed by Hazel on the forum that you could be Liz Lowe, if so could you please send me your email address as you forgot to give it to me. Looking forward to hearing from you. Gosling

CHAIRBOY
03-07-2007, 19:43
GOSLING -There was an appeal in June 30th's Sheffield Star from Derek Sellers who wants to contact former pupils who will now be in their 70's.
derek.sellers1@ntlworld.com phone: 0118-9424347

Doesn't say the purpose of the contact reason on Page 25.

gosling
04-07-2007, 05:31
Hi Chairboy, Thanks a lot for the info. I have just sent an email to Derek Sellers. How have the floods treated you? We have been experiencing the same thing is this area of Australia, but fortunately we live a fair distance away.

CHAIRBOY
04-07-2007, 06:29
Personally, no problems. As someone said: "If we were to have problems, we'd all be under!" I'm nearing 60 and it's true to say I have never witnessed such torrents. People in certain areas have seen their homes ruined. Middlewood and parts of Heeley were bad, people lost power and others have had cuts to build up supplies. The Wednesday ground was flooded and then the problem worked down the Don valley with areas of Rotherham and Doncaster affected. Tomorrow is forecast to be dry but other than that, heavy showers is the norm and they are causing headaches at Wimbledon. Here are some links of the floods. Thought it was an e-mail, sorry, there is a special section on the floods.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery/picture_gallery/0,,70141-1272496,.html

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery/picture_gallery/0,,70141-1272393,.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6240184.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6240038.stm

http://www.thestar.co.uk/pictures

http://www.thestar.co.uk/pictures?articleid=2991150

http://www.thestar.co.uk/pictures?articleid=2983887

http://www.thestar.co.uk/pictures?articleid=2984438

http://www.thestar.co.uk/pictures?articleid=2988557

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/image_galleries/flooding_june_07_gallery_two.shtml

Juneb01
06-07-2007, 23:33
Hello Gosling, my mum went to Abbeydale Girls Grammar School from 1941 - 1947. Her maiden mane was Barbara Dickinson, and she says she can remember a June Gosling. She was in 5B and in her last year her form teacher was Miss Moore. If that is you, please PM me and I will give you my email address, as my mom lives here with me.

CHAIRBOY
24-07-2007, 16:53
NIGHTINGALES' REUNION - Sheffield Star 21 July - A reunion of girls from Abbeydale Girls' Grammar School, of September 1949 will be held on Friday Oct.12, 2007 in Sheffield.
The 'Nightingales' are gathering and are inviting people from other houses in the same year to join in. Those interested contact Jean Norburn (Steels) on 0121-471-4757.

gosling
25-07-2007, 06:27
Hi Chairboy, Would love to be there even though I was in Fry house. Hope everyone has a wonderful time. By the way what is your connection with Abbeydale Girl's Grammar School ?

CHAIRBOY
25-07-2007, 06:55
Hi Chairboy, Would love to be there even though I was in Fry house. Hope everyone has a wonderful time. By the way what is your connection with Abbeydale Girl's Grammar School ?

None, other than a few tenuous links having been involved in education in the city for several years. Knowing former pupils, as we all travelled by bus etc then (no school runs!) and others who may have later become colleagues.

goatgenetics
22-03-2009, 16:35
Just seen this old thread. I was in Nightingale but later on. From around 1960. Dr F.M.Green was Principal. An awesome lady!

CHAIRBOY
22-03-2009, 16:44
Just seen this old thread. I was in Nightingale but later on. From around 1960. Dr F.M.Green was Principal. An awesome lady!

I shudder to think what Flo would think of the "inadequate school" ruling now being associated with Abbeydale Grange?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/7954759.stm

goatgenetics
22-03-2009, 17:04
Absolutely! She'll be turning in her grave. That was one of the best schools in Sheffield.

gosling
23-03-2009, 04:30
And so say most of us old girls.Pity things have changed

tasha_78
23-03-2009, 10:14
And so say most of us old girls.Pity things have changed

I was at Abbeydale, but in the 60`s. I remember some of the teachers mentioned above. Miss Williams, especially, and also Dr Green, she controlled all her `gels` with a rod of iron, God Rest Her

karentrinder
09-08-2009, 10:03
Hello! I'm new to this forum and found this thread when searching for information about my mother, Jean Brunton. She must have left Abbeydale about 1941 - I have her nursing certificate that says she graduated after 3 years in 1944. She told me little about her school days except she was captain of the cricket team? Does any one remember her? Is there any archive material one can access? Yours in hope, Karen.:help:

JOGI
09-08-2009, 13:56
HY My wife attended this school. Not sure of the actual dates,but she was born in Jan 1930,so probably there mid 40's. Her name is Margaret Ruth Savage.

JOGI
09-08-2009, 14:44
Hello Karen. Apologies to all for going off thread but could'nt resist this query. Say 1943 I worked at Edgar Allen's Tinsley,with Arthur Brunton who lived at Frecheville.He would be in his thirties then in the General office. Any relation?.

karentrinder
09-08-2009, 14:53
Hello Karen. Apologies to all for going off thread but could'nt resist this query. Say 1943 I worked at Edgar Allen's Tinsley,with Arthur Brunton who lived at Frecheville.He would be in his thirties then in the General office. Any relation?.

Sorry, no, I don't think this is a relative of mine - I have no Arthurs, but its all a bit complex - there was a lot of illegitimacy in this line! Naughty lot!:confused:

karentrinder
09-08-2009, 14:56
HY My wife attended this school. Not sure of the actual dates,but she was born in Jan 1930,so probably there mid 40's. Her name is Margaret Ruth Savage.

Does your wife recall anything about my Mum? Mum was born in 1926, so she would have been a bit older - went off to nurse at the City General in 1941 or so. Its great to have a reply even if its a negative, don't you think?
Karen:)

JOGI
09-08-2009, 19:43
Hello Karen. Sorry I cant help you with your query. My wife's medical state is such that she's unable to communicate with anyone. You seem such a nice lady, that I'm sure you'll understand. I've always said that cos of the education she received, this enabled her to do very well in all her jobs.She worked most of her married life and spoke many times how proud she was that she'd risen from the east end to attend Abbeydale. WE married in 1955 , so I'm a very lucky guy.

Hetty
10-08-2009, 08:36
......................and your wife is very lucky to have you!!!!!

karentrinder
10-08-2009, 09:39
Thanks for this - I'm sorry your wife is ill. I will keep on trying to find information - would you like me to keep you posted if I make a breakthrough?
Karen:)

JOGI
10-08-2009, 18:08
Thanks Hetty and Karen for your kind words. Everyone has a cross to bear in one way or another. Yes Karen, let me know if you get a response. Sometimes people dont read these posts for ages and then Bingo!. Meanwhile,all the best to everyone.

David Quick
27-12-2009, 06:52
Hello! I'm new to this forum and found this thread when searching for information about my mother, Jean Brunton. She must have left Abbeydale about 1941 - I have her nursing certificate that says she graduated after 3 years in 1944. She told me little about her school days except she was captain of the cricket team? Does any one remember her? Is there any archive material one can access? Yours in hope, Karen.:help:

Karen
I am tracing family history and my mother-in-law, Jean Robinson (née Bailey), has stayed with us for Christmas; she brought with her some family photos for me to scan. Among them is a photo of her class at Abbeydale Grammar School taken just before she left at age 16 to join the WRNS in 1944. On the back are the signatures of her classmates including the signature of Jean Brunton. Contact me if you would like a copy. Regards, David

karentrinder
27-12-2009, 15:07
Thats awesome! :)
I would love to have a copy. My email is karentrinder@googlemail.com, if you could send it as an attachment I would be delighted (both sides if you can)
Does your mum in law remember my Mum at all? Any good stories?
I really look forward to your reply,
Karen

jeanwiljean
28-12-2009, 13:16
gosling.
Bit overdue in stating I went to Abbeydale from l942 till 1947. My first headmistress was a Miss.Mulley. A very elegant lady who used to arrive in a taxi every morning.She retired and went somewhere down south where \if my memory serves me right, she was murdered. She was followed by the awesome Dr.Green a nasty surprise to us all after the ladylike Miss.Mulley!Misses.Morris, Partridge,Pullen Brookes are the mistresses that come to mind.
Best wishes,
Jeanwiljean.

jean.wilson33@btinternet.com:

karentrinder
28-12-2009, 14:31
Hello! You are a bit younger than my Mum was, so you did not overlap with her, she left in 1941. Unfortunately I dis not ask her about teachers before she died. Anyway, thanks for your reply. I am sure it will help some researcher out there eventually.

jeanwiljean
18-02-2010, 10:09
Jeanwiljean,
If the daughter of Katherine Kirk reads this, my e.mail to her mother was refused. She gave me the e.mail number as katherinekirk@talktalk.net but this isn,t getting me through.
Quite disappointed as I looked forward to getting in touch. Hope we can rectify this.
Best wishes. Jean Wilson nee Russell. l942 intake.

Leper
19-02-2010, 08:47
I had two friends who went there a little later, maybe 1951/52, Jean Biddles and Margarete Wheelhouse. Wonder where they are now ?.

wallyp
24-02-2010, 10:25

My first girl friend, Vera Davies, went to Abbeydale. In 1951 we studied for our ''O' levels together & before going to school each morning, I went to High Storrs, we used to cycle to Millhouses open air swimming pool for a swim before going to school to sit our exams.

JOGI
24-02-2010, 13:36
My wife Margaret Ruth Savage attended there. Born in Jan 1930, so possibly there early forties.

wallyp
01-03-2010, 10:42
Jogi Was your wife Margaret Harris of Abbey Lane?

JOGI
01-03-2010, 16:59
Sorry, No. Not the same person. Cheers.

crowtrees
12-03-2010, 08:04
I was in Marvel from 1959 - 1964 Flo was awesome could silence the room with a glance !

tscott
20-09-2010, 11:19
My mother has just passed away and going through her papers have just found a letter from Abbeydale Grammer School awarding her a free place dated July 1945, her name was Shirley Scott do you remember her?

jeanwiljean
27-09-2010, 14:52
to t.s. scott.

Sorry for your loss. Am unable to help you as I attended Abbeydale from 1942 until 1947

Jean Wilson

corvus60
31-10-2010, 14:09
Hi Crowtrees

I have only just found this site. I too was in Marvel from 1959 - 1964 - my name was Janet Goslin, do you remember me (I was very quiet in those days). I also met Valerie Atkins now Oxley recently, she taught my husband botanical illustration. Would love to know your id.

oriel
23-03-2011, 23:40
I attended that wonderful school in 1950,The Beak was principle when I took 11plus,my Mum said, "if you can't pass high enough for Abbydale, don't bother trying", she considered it the only one good enough!.Luckly I did,got the best education ever,my kids consider me Brain of Britain,all thanks to that school. do any of you girls remember ever being summoned to Dr Green room?one of the most terrifying experiences of my life,I wish the Gov. had never brought in Comprehensive Ed. I think that education has gone downhill since then,we have illiterate kids aged 12 to 15 ,at least in our day most kids could at least read and write. The girls I remember were Valery Beal,who lived at Norton,Olga Khan

oriel
23-03-2011, 23:45
Forgot to mention, I was in Nightingale

corvus60
24-03-2011, 09:19
Hi Oriel, I took think Abbeydale gave us the best all round education possible and often know things that surprise me and realise - ah yes, Abbeydale is responsible for that! I never was summoned to Dr Green - but wasn't she so frightening. I have lost my school photo, the long one of the whole school, in one of my many house moves but would love to see her again. I was there from 1959-64.

fairyworld14
22-05-2011, 12:28
one of my mates was called Stella did ?My mum went there but not from those years ! Shes 75 now.

robbiedob
10-12-2012, 11:14

Hi, I stumbled accross this site when searching for the school on line.
My mum Joyce welton attended around that time (born 1930) as did her younger sister Valerie welton (born 1940), my mum died 19 years ago but my auntie Val is still living in Sheffield.
We were brought up in Hull where I met my wife who was from north London and her mum Jennifer Darling had also gone to that school around the same time as my Auntie.

Rose8mary
22-04-2013, 21:58
I've only recently found this site and did post a message about being at Abbeydale from 1941-46. I had the wonderful Miss Mulley and then Dr. Green, who when I went back years later remembered that I had gone to Canada. I agree it was a wonderful school. I don't remember any of the names mentioned so far but I do know that Dorothy Metherell and Margaret Hartley are still both alive and living in Sheffield. My name was Rosemary Carlisle and I was in 5 Beta when I left. Some great teachers - Miss Bone, Miss Tomlinson, Mrs. Quarrie, Miss Durrant, Miss Mycroft and Miss Way I can see them all clearly - not forgetting Miss Lucas for French and Miss Niblett for music. I remember being so excited when I passed the scholarship and got the school of my choice.

Frances Mary
15-09-2013, 17:56
I was going to begin a new thread about Abbeydale Girls' Grammar School, but find there are several already. It's good to see so much interest in the school, which of course closed in 1969 when it was combined with Abbeydale Boys and Grange Grammar to form the new 'Abbeydale Grange' comprehensive school. A group of Abbeydale Girls' Grammar 'old girls' have been meeting twice a year for many years for lunch and a chat, not just about our schooldays but also about what we've been doing since. If you attended the school as a pupil or member of staff and would like to join us, do let me know

Rose8mary
15-09-2013, 21:07
I'm glad to finally get some response to my posting some months ago. As I was at Abbeydale during the war I figured that perhaps those my age were not computer literate to answer, or maybe not around any more. It's nice to know there are those who still meet and chat about the old days at school. As I live in British Columbia I'm not able to join you. My school days are still very much alive with me and although I was never brilliant I nevertheless enjoyed my time at Abbeydale.
Rose8mary.