View Full Version : The morning after the night before - still over the limit?

dawny1
14-07-2006, 15:13
A few weeks ago my neighbour knocked over a little boy on our quiet estate as his Mum shouted him across the road to her. It was 8.30 in the morning and she had only just pulled off the estate so luckily the little boy only suffered a bad graze to his head and after a trip to casualty was back out playing later that day.

Anyway, my neighbour who was in a right state came to my house after the accident and I gave her a cup of tea to calm her down but my first instinct was to give her something stronger but it was 8.30 in the morning and as it happens it was a good job I didn't cos when the police came they gave her a routine breathaliser.

My question is I am sat here knecking a Vodka as I sometimes do and no doubt will have a few more. My neighbour said it was lucky she hadn't had a drink the previous night to the accident as she could have been over the limit and although the accident was in no way her fault - it would have been seen a lot differently.

This has made me think how long after you have had a few drinks is it OK to drive the next morning.

I wish you could get little breathaliser kits with your booze so you could test yourself to make sure you are safe. I never drink and drive but am concerned about being over the limit the next day.

Clare85
14-07-2006, 15:21
My question is I am sat here knecking a Vodka as I sometimes do and no doubt will have a few more.

Ooooh can I come over, heee heeee!

Well good to know he is ok, I don't drive, but I know people who say when they get up in the morning and drive home from mates houses or whatever they still don't feel right...

dawny1
14-07-2006, 15:54
Exactly - years ago the bloke who lived next door to me when I was a kid and who drank quiet a lot got banned for drink driving although he hadn't had a drink that morning but was still over the limit fromt he night before.

Marber
14-07-2006, 16:08
It is very easy to be over the limit the next morning. The police do a campaign near Christmas about this.

I remember seeing something about it taking your body about an hour to deal with each unit of alcohol. That would mean it taking 8 hours to deal with 4 pints of beer.

scottf
14-07-2006, 16:09
Well the basic rule is that each unit of alcohol you drink will take approximatly an hour to disipate in your system so its highly likely that you can still be over the limit in the morning!!

For example- one can of carling is 1.9 units- so if you have 4 cans in a night you should try to not driving for AT LEAST 8 hours after you have finished drinking to be on the safe side.

Now i know alot of people who have a few glasses of wine at night and then set of for work early in the morning- i would say quite alot of them are defiately over the limit- they may not feel like they are, but in the eyes of the law they will be.

You can buy self tester kits but im not sure how reliable they are.

redhawk
14-07-2006, 16:10
I wish you could get little breathaliser kits with your booze so you could test yourself to make sure you are safe. I never drink and drive but am concerned about being over the limit the next day.

You can get them. They aren't as accurate as the police ones and you can't rely on their readings as a defence in court, but they do give a good indication if you are over the limit but cant be relied on if they show that you arent. I would reckon if they show any reading other than zero don't drive.

Search for breathalyser on ebay.

scottf
14-07-2006, 16:13
i think they should reduce the limit anyway to hardly anything- it would stop this "oh ill be ok with just one more" argument!

redhawk
14-07-2006, 16:16
Excellent idea scottf. ZERO TOLERANCE for drink driving is the way to go.

Maybe, just maybe a few lives will be spared.

I always found it astonishing that a lot of pubs have huge carparks!!

Aiding and abetting perhaps?

dawny1
14-07-2006, 16:25
This is a touchy subject for me as my Dad was killed by a drunk driver when I was seven and that is why I started the thread as I never drink and drive but was concerned over the morning after aspect of being over the limit.

My tipple as I have mentioned is Vodka and my measures are probably double of what you get in the pub so can anyone tell me how many units are in a single Vodka please. :thumbsup:

Cyclone
14-07-2006, 16:30
one 25ml (standard size) shot is one unit.

The elimination time depends on your age, health and the state of your liver. 1 hour per unit is the average.
The elimination time would be calculated from when you start drinking, not stop drinking.
So if you have 4 pints over an evening, starting drinking at 8pm, you can drive by 4am in the morning, if you're average.
If you have 8 pints, that should be 1200 the next day, by which time you've probably just about crawled out of bed as drinking 8 pints takes several hours at least.

dawny1
14-07-2006, 16:53
Thanks Cyclone it has really been worrying me to think that I could have driven over the limit without being aware of it. I will make sure I don't have to do any driving early in the morning if Ive had a drink the night before, so that means I won't be doing a trip to the Asda until mid-day tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Twiglet
14-07-2006, 17:17
It's far easier than you think to do this. My parents don't tend to drink at all if they have to drive early the next morning, and only have one glass of wine if they do. Everybody is different and it may take you far longer than 1 hour per unit for the alcohol to leave your system so the safest way is not to drink at all if you know you are driving early.

Cyclone, I'm not sure the given example is quite right. If you drink 4 pints over the course of the night and finish at say midnight, it probably isn't safe to drive only 4 hours later! Road safety Scotland says:

"It can take up to 12 hours to be safe to drive after drinking four pints of continental lager or ale, or 1 bottle of wine" note that says AFTER so if you finish drinking at midnight you may not be able to drive until midday.

They also say: "After four drinks during an evening, most motorists who drive the next morning will be over the limit"

artisan
14-07-2006, 17:46
it just shows what a farce these 'gudelines' are.
You cannot compare the ammount a person has drunk to the ammount of alcohol in their blood.
If someone six feet two and 18 stone drinks 4 pints, it will be more dispersed in their blood than if someone five feet two and 8 stone drinks four pints, simply because they have more blood.
However the effect on their brains may be totally different.
Also metabolic rates are different in different individuals.
There are various safe ways
a) dont drink
b) If you do drink dont bring yourself to the attention of the law.
This is best done by driving correctly and avoiding knocking people down etc.
If you are still seeing double, shut each eye alternately and you will get decent depth perception to allow you to brace before you smash into the car in front.
c) Get the Bus

:hihi: :hihi:

cgksheff
14-07-2006, 17:55
........ as drinking 8 pints takes several hours at least.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Not round our way!

Cyclone
14-07-2006, 18:05
The average is 1 hr per unit, you liver starts working as soon as the alcohol hits you.
If you drank one pint per two hours, you'd be okay to drive at any point as your liver is eliminating the alcohol as fast as you're drinking it.

I wouldn't trust a road safety website to give unbiased advice on anything to do with the road or safety.

Everyone is different, so one of the cheap breath test units would be a good idea I guess to find out how well your body copes.

Cyclone
14-07-2006, 18:06
:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Not round our way!

depends on how hard your trying I suppose. I can't do more than a pint a half hour these days (well, I can't keep it up for long anyway).

Cyclone
14-07-2006, 18:16
I've never checked before to see how accurate the 8 pints of blood thing is.
But surgical guidelines indicate that an adult has

Adults 70ml/ kg body weight

So personally I have nearly 6 litres of blood, which is more like 10.5 pints.
Whereas my SO has only 7.5 pints.
There's clearly going to be a difference in the effect if we both drink the same, and equally my liver will be larger, so I should eliminate alcohol faster.

medusa
14-07-2006, 18:18
The only thing to add to Cyclone's information on one unit of alcohol being digested per hour is that if you drink a lot of alcohol in a very short space of time you load your system with incoming alcohol, and it actually REDUCES your body's ability to digest the alcohol.

The maximal rate that your body's alcohol dehydrogenase works at amounts to a concentration of only 3 or 4 units of alcohol for the average person, after which the efficiency of the enzyme starts to reduce, thus taking far more than an hour to digest each unit of alcohol.

So if you want to be fit to drive the following morning, drink your drinks slowly, have food before you drink (which means that there will be plenty of energy in your system with which to digest the alcohol), have plenty of liquids to help your body flush out the byproducts from digestion and prevent dehydration causing hangovers, and stop drinking in plenty of time for the alcohol to be digested before you think of driving.

Oh- and to the OP- if you measure your voddie out then 2 tablespoons is just over 1 unit of alcohol. If in doubt measure how much fits in a shot glass then use that as a measure so you know how much you're drinking.

Twiglet
14-07-2006, 18:33
I've never checked before to see how accurate the 8 pints of blood thing is.
But surgical guidelines indicate that an adult has

Adults 70ml/ kg body weight

So personally I have nearly 6 litres of blood, which is more like 10.5 pints.
Whereas my SO has only 7.5 pints.
There's clearly going to be a difference in the effect if we both drink the same, and equally my liver will be larger, so I should eliminate alcohol faster.

Now that's something I'd never thought about! So if I drank 6 pints I'd have equal amounts of beer and blood in my body :hihi:

Further to Medusa's point about the dehydrogenase efficiency, the more you drink the more dehydrated you become and the lower your blood volume is. Therefore each successive drink has a larger impact on your system than the previous.

Cyclone
14-07-2006, 18:42
the dehydration thing only applies to drinks above about 3%, below that then your taking in as much water as you're eliminating.

If you're drinking enough to be still over the limit, then you'll be hungover enough not to want to drive.

pertfoxylush
14-07-2006, 18:50

You can - ask at your local police station?

TheRedWizard
15-07-2006, 01:10
There are no sure and safe rules and everyone is different, but the overall point is worth making that it is very easy to be over the limit the morning after.

I'm sure lots of people on here have drunk 10+ pints and a fair few doubles in one night, at some point(s) in their life. But how many waited for an entire day before driving?

Tipex
15-07-2006, 03:00
A few weeks ago my neighbour knocked over a little boy on our quiet estate as his Mum shouted him across the road to her. It was 8.30 in the morning and she had only just pulled off the estate so luckily the little boy only suffered a bad graze to his head and after a trip to casualty was back out playing later that day.

Anyway, my neighbour who was in a right state came to my house after the accident and I gave her a cup of tea to calm her down but my first instinct was to give her something stronger but it was 8.30 in the morning and as it happens it was a good job I didn't cos when the police came they gave her a routine breathaliser.

My question is I am sat here knecking a Vodka as I sometimes do and no doubt will have a few more. My neighbour said it was lucky she hadn't had a drink the previous night to the accident as she could have been over the limit and although the accident was in no way her fault - it would have been seen a lot differently.

This has made me think how long after you have had a few drinks is it OK to drive the next morning.

My m8 lost everything for drinking and driving, he went to naughty boy school and was educated on how and what booze does.

This course should be included to all new drivers me thinks:thumbsup:

Plain Talker
15-07-2006, 08:53
the dehydration thing only applies to drinks above about 3%, below that then your taking in as much water as you're eliminating.

If you're drinking enough to be still over the limit, then you'll be hungover enough not to want to drive.

no, I disagree... you can "feel" perfectly fine, cyclone, but your perception of how fit you feel, with regard to driving, and how fit you actually are to drive have no correlation.

That's how my cousin lost his licence. He'd had a few jars, the night before, and went to take his car out, to go literally, just round the corner, to the shop, and was "copped" by the police. He was breathylised, and, at 10 am, he was found to have an alcohol level over the legal limit, went to court, and lost his licence.

I would agree with redhawk, about the only legal level being a Zero level.

In places like Sweden and Norway,(IIRC) their laws permit only a very, very low blood-alcohol level to be legal to drive, something like half the levels we permit in the UK.

that might be a start.

PT

katy1981
15-07-2006, 09:03
my uncle is a big weekend drinker and he once got up on a sunday morning after going out all night drinking friday and saturday the police stopped him and he was three times over the limit still :o

he got a ban!

my sister cant really handle her alcohol so it really takes its toll on her the next day so she refuses to drive for two days after :o mainly cos she feels she cant really concentrate properly

im learning to drive at the moment and i have to say i dont think i would drink the next day at all as i know im terrible the next day

merlin_7799
15-07-2006, 09:13
You used to be able to get those self testing kit breath test things in petrol stations, not sure how reliable they are though or even if they still sell them. I always thought it was a good idea IF they give a reliable result.

Twiglet
15-07-2006, 09:20
You used to be able to get those self testing kit breath test things in petrol stations, not sure how reliable they are though or even if they still sell them. I always thought it was a good idea IF they give a reliable result.
They are an absolutely terrible idea! In my opinion they encourage people to drink and drive because it means they can 'know' if they are near the limit before driving. For a start, they aren't accurate on the night because you will absorb more alcohol into your system and your blood alcohol level will get higher after you've done the test.

They may be a good idea for the 'morning after' but that isn't when many people would use them.

The only safe thing to do is to NOT do it.

artisan
15-07-2006, 10:35
no, I disagree... you can "feel" perfectly fine, cyclone, but your perception of how fit you feel, with regard to driving, and how fit you actually are to drive have no correlation.

That's how my cousin lost his licence. He'd had a few jars, the night before, and went to take his car out, to go literally, just round the corner, to the shop, and was "copped" by the police. He was breathylised, and, at 10 am, he was found to have an alcohol level over the legal limit, went to court, and lost his licence.

I would agree with redhawk, about the only legal level being a Zero level.

In places like Sweden and Norway,(IIRC) their laws permit only a very, very low blood-alcohol level to be legal to drive, something like half the levels we permit in the UK.

that might be a start.

PT
It is impossible to have zero level of alcohol, even in a non drinker.
The body creates alcohol as part of natural breakdown of food.

Too much emphasis is put on drink driving. There are far more people on todays roads that are more dangerous sober than a lot of people are when they have had a couple of pints.
The penalty for driving like a complete wally should be at least as high as that for drink driving.

But then again that would be less easy to prove, so they wouldnt get the book full as fast would they.

The sanctimonious drivel the coppers spout about death tolls etc. makes me laugh.

How many would resign their cushy jobs, (houses paid for, full pension etc, all on the ratepayer of course) if the drink drive laws were scrapped tommorrow.

Answer - Non.

BTW, I am not a disgruntled motorist. If I am going out to drink I use the bus or taxi. I have never been stopped by the law in 25 years driving.
But I know a lot of coppers and how they think.

Twiglet
15-07-2006, 10:38
It is impossible to have zero level of alcohol, even in a non drinker.
The body creates alcohol as part of natural breakdown of food.

A breathalyser can't detect it.

Tipex
15-07-2006, 10:43
Did u know that perfume/aftershave adds to the limit.

the_rudeboy
15-07-2006, 10:44
im learning to drive at the moment and i have to say i dont think i would drink the next day at all as i know im terrible the next day You cutting down then katy? :D

If I go out and have a skinfull and am at work next day then I go into work on the bus. If its a weekend then I wouldn't drive at least til the afternoon......if at all.

katy1981
15-07-2006, 10:55
You cutting down then katy? :D

If I go out and have a skinfull and am at work next day then I go into work on the bus. If its a weekend then I wouldn't drive at least til the afternoon......if at all.
lol if i was a driver then i have to say i wouldnt drink so much if anything if i knew i had to drive anywhere the next day

D2J
15-07-2006, 10:58
You cutting down then katy? :D

Like that's ever gonna happen :loopy:

:hihi:

Twiglet
15-07-2006, 11:01
Did u know that perfume/aftershave adds to the limit.
Only if you drink it!

Cyclone
15-07-2006, 11:10
PT

Maybe you don't get hangovers, but I can tell you for a fact that if I drink enough to still be over the limit the next day, then i'll have a bad hangover.
If I don't have a hangover, then it might mean that i've had enough to still be over the limit, but either way i won't drive and i'll most likely have a fry up and then go back to bed.

Twiglet
15-07-2006, 11:20
Maybe you don't get hangovers, but I can tell you for a fact that if I drink enough to still be over the limit the next day, then i'll have a bad hangover.
If I don't have a hangover, then it might mean that i've had enough to still be over the limit, but either way i won't drive and i'll most likely have a fry up and then go back to bed.

I think this must be another 'everyone is different'. I used to be able to drink 2-3 bottles of wine, wouldn't be all that drunk and wouldn't ever get a hangover. Now I couldn't even drink one bottle if I tried, and would feel like death the day afterwards just for trying.

dawny1
15-07-2006, 13:31
Ive heard that if you drink water the next day after pernod it makes you feel p**sed again but I don't thinks it's true! :suspect: Cyclone give me your wisdom is it true or has someone been pulling my leg!:confused:

TheRedWizard
15-07-2006, 15:46
Ive heard that if you drink water the next day after pernod it makes you feel p**sed again but I don't thinks it's true! :suspect: Cyclone give me your wisdom is it true or has someone been pulling my leg!:confused:

One of my favourite drinks, but definitely one of the worst for hangovers. It does kick you again part way through a hangover, but whether this is due to crystals in your belly or what, I don't know.

Pastis, Ouzo and Raki do the same (unsurprisingly, given the similarities).

Cyclone
15-07-2006, 16:34

I've heard the same, no idea if it's true and no ones every explained a mechanism for it beyond some vague reference to crystals. So I dunno. Maybe one day i'll try it and see, although pernod is a bit gross in large amounts.

Ha3el
15-07-2006, 17:12

Not sure about the breathaliser kit idea as surely all it means is whether you are legal not actually whether you are safe as alcohol affects different people differently. Besides you know in yourself after a drink if its going to your head and if you are having to take a test to tell you that you are ok then surely that means you've prob had too much. If im driving i do not drink at all - not even so much as a half and i think this should be the law. The legal limit works out roughly 1 1/2 pints of average strength lager but ive known friends who can be giddy on under a pint who dont drink much. At end of day if you cant go without a drink you should be prepared to leave car at home. no drink means no grey areas about whether you are ok or not and it solves prob with people not knowing what limit is etc.

I had heard that it takes upto 12 hours for alcohol to leave your system so whenever i drive up to visit mates i avoid drinking past midnight and do not set off driving home til at least 12 hrs have passed and until im not feeling drowsy or hungover at all. This annoys my bf a bit as he wants me back as early as possible the next day but i will not drive unless i am sure that i am safe to, especially since its a 2hr drive.

Ha3el
15-07-2006, 17:19

nope, a few mornings ive still actually been drunk after a heavy night nevermind reached a hangover yet!

Cyclone
15-07-2006, 18:06
yeah, i've had that happen, but it's always pretty clear. If the hangover hasn't kicked in, and the world seems a little bit faster than normal (or i'm a little bit slower) then I know i'm still drunk.
To be fair, that's generally when I've had about 4hrs sleep, so working on the 1 unit per hour would tell me exactly the same thing.

Ha3el
15-07-2006, 18:08
yeah, i've had that happen, but it's always pretty clear. If the hangover hasn't kicked in, and the world seems a little bit faster than normal (or i'm a little bit slower) then I know i'm still drunk.
To be fair, that's generally when I've had about 4hrs sleep, so working on the 1 unit per hour would tell me exactly the same thing.

1 unit per hour?! - that'd put me out for the full next day then?! are you sure or is that only upto a point?

Cyclone
16-07-2006, 10:57
that is the average rate that your body processes the alcohol.

sacredheartu
06-03-2011, 06:25
You can get them. They aren't as accurate as the police ones and you can't rely on their readings as a defence in court, but they do give a good indication if you are over the limit but cant be relied on if they show that you arent. I would reckon if they show any reading other than zero don't drive.

Search for breathalyser on ebay.

Why get a breathaliser kits , rule of thumb - if you can start the car you can drive!

That's my rule!

DT Ralge
06-03-2011, 07:13
Too much emphasis is put on drink driving.
The sanctimonious drivel the coppers spout about death tolls etc. makes me laugh.

Interesting.
What counts, in your mind, as sanctimonious drivel? (What is the death toll these days and what was it before?)
What counts as too much emphasis? Xmas and Summer DD campaigns? A breath test at every crash? A breath test if the PC smells alcohol on a driver's breath?
Should the DD laws be repealed?
How do the coppers you know think? What do they tell you that turns you off?
What emphasis do other countries place on DD? More or less?

Eater Sundae
06-03-2011, 09:21
Why get a breathaliser kits , rule of thumb - if you can start the car you can drive!

That's my rule!

Oh praise be to cars with keyless ignition.

Going out with my mates, we always pick a designated driver. It's usually the one who is too pi**ed to sing.

Eater Sundae
06-03-2011, 09:24
They are an absolutely terrible idea! In my opinion they encourage people to drink and drive because it means they can 'know' if they are near the limit before driving. For a start, they aren't accurate on the night because you will absorb more alcohol into your system and your blood alcohol level will get higher after you've done the test.

They may be a good idea for the 'morning after' but that isn't when many people would use them.

The only safe thing to do is to NOT do it.

In my opinion, if you've reason to consider using a test kit, then you shouldn't be considering driving, whether you're actually over the limit or not.

Lucifer
06-03-2011, 12:09

Drinkig and driving just don't mix. All peoples metabalisms are different, some feel the effects of alcohol more than others but at the end of the day, drink or drive not both.

Isabelle
06-03-2011, 12:32
One of my favourite drinks, but definitely one of the worst for hangovers. It does kick you again part way through a hangover, but whether this is due to crystals in your belly or what, I don't know.

Pastis, Ouzo and Raki do the same (unsurprisingly, given the similarities).

I've seen what Pernod does to plastic optics, it melts them, makes you wonder what is does to your insides!

scribe
06-03-2011, 12:46
This thred was started in 2006.

Eater Sundae
06-03-2011, 19:44
This thred was started in 2006.

.....and?

Has the human body changed since 2006 such that people no longer risk being over the limit in the morning, following drinking during the previous evening?