My 1 year old male cat doesn't like my new kitten. What do I do??

I got a cat last year in june now he is a year old (Token) and i just found a stray kitten(Tigger Jr.) at my parents house. Token doesn't like Tigger Jr. and I don't know what to do. I can't get rid of either one of them cuz Token is my baby and he keeps me sane and happy. Tigger has a sentimental value to me, his mom was the only cat my 17 year old dog ever liked and Tigger Jr. is all i got let of my dog! HELP!!!

I think you should talk to Medusa! She is our resident cat expert!!

Isn't it amazing how I turn up when I'm called?

You don't say in your post how long you've been trying to integrate these two cats suggerbunz. If it's anything less than a month then you're probably panicking well ahead of schedule- it will take anything from a week to a month for them to accept each other and sort out pecking order between the two of them.

In terms of helping that along, you can take a couple of little steps that could make a difference. You could use your hands to fuss both of them in turn thus scentmarking each with each other's scent (it helps them to cope with the other just a little better), and you could get a tin with a tightly fitted lid and a few pieces of gravel inside to shake loudly to distract Token if he starts on Tigger (a water pistol does this well too- but can result in soggy furnishings if you use it inside), and you could make an effort to play with them both in the same space- but not in competition with each other.

Whatever you do, allow Token access to a couple of places where he can escape Tigger so he can have some peace when he wants it, and give them both love when they're being calm and happy cats.

I hope they get used to each other quickly- and that this relieves your stress.

hiya suggarbunz

i totally agree with everything medusa has said because i just recently ( a couple of weeks) got a new kitten and my otherone neally 8 months couldnt stand him she went wild and hissed and spitted and growled so much, i was really upset by it and scared to cos i thought she would really do the tiny one some damage. Misty my older one is a british blue and is rather massive for her age and the little un is just a scraggy little moggy in comparison but i had no need to worry at all it took about 4 days all in all for her to come to terms with him been here ( altho she did try and kill him by throwing him down the stairs but he dint seem to mind cos he jumped up and shot back up stairs for anoyther go, it turned into a game)

now she only gets really mad at him when he is determind to follow her around everywhere but she can get places he cant for the moment so everything is fine.

perserver for a while, it will be worth it when they start playing, honestly i was so upset with my 2 that i thought i would have to get rid of the little one and that would have broke my heart.

best of luck and dont forget we require piccys :hihi: :hihi:

Thanx so much!!! Token is starting to play around with Tigger. At least I think its playing. They swat, chase, and kinda bit each other but there is no hissing involved. Tigger is still tryin to get used to my boyfriends mom's dog holly thou. THANX SO MUCH!!!!

You're welcome- I'm glad that they sound happier, and you do as a result too.

Token is still a big kitten really, so it's quite natural and normal for the two of them to play together (even if you have to watch out for Token being a bit rough with Tigger occasionally!).

As long as the danger signs aren't present (growling, raised hackles, detached ears on the carpet in the morning, that sort of thing) then I think there's every possibility that you've cracked it and a lovely friendship is born- well done!