Sign in to follow this  

You'll be pleased to know that...

...Not only have i finally finished that darn baby blanket (i still like it but i've been bored of looking at it for quite awhile now!) I've just ordered my first sock yarn (regia) and dpn's!

The blanket - while it may all be knitted up, i haven't yet began joining the edgings as its late and my eyes hurt. But im hoping it will go smoothly, and then there will be pictures!

Although i have had a problem, i'd just finished my last edge when i noticed to my horror that the cast off end on one of the edges had come apart and only the other day i got a little happy trimming the edges of bits of yarn all over, luckily this particular piece didnt have a close shave! I managed to fix it and tighten the edge as best as i could but was confused, especially when examining the rest and noticed another piece coming loose :confused::mad: Well i fixed that one too, but im still confused :huh: Am i casting off wrong?! I get to the last stitch, chop some yarn off and loop it through and pull it tight. Hopefully its sorted now but im worried about whats gonna happen when it gets washed. Im thinking of telling my mum that its hand wash only yarn! :hihi:

The socks - Now firstly im hoping for some reassurance here, i ordered from mcadirect as recommended awhile ago by Hecate and i added the free sock pattern on this page (i've ordered jungle shade 6 ply btw) its just in the pic for the free pattern it looks like they've got 2 balls of yarn to make the diff colours, im not gonna have to do that right?! :confused: Oh and i'll most likely be needing some help with socks too, lol! Sorry guys!

I cant wait for piccies:D I cast off the same as you - how short did you leave the tail and how much do you weave through afterwards.....I tend to weave the tail through at least 6 stitches (dont know if thats right either).

Welcome to the world of socks - Im sure you will be OK btw:D Have you ordered a kit with the DPNS....Ill ahve to go and have a look at the colourway:)

EDIT: Nice colour, it says that you need 3 balls of 6ply for a pair though:o

LisaH xxx

I cant wait for piccies:D I cast off the same as you - how short did you leave the tail and how much do you weave through afterwards.....I tend to weave the tail through at least 6 stitches (dont know if thats right either).

Welcome to the world of socks - Im sure you will be OK btw:D Have you ordered a kit with the DPNS....Ill ahve to go and have a look at the colourway:)

EDIT: Nice colour, it says that you need 3 balls of 6ply for a pair though:o

LisaH xxx

That may be the problem :o i don't weave it through! aw, feel stupid now, it better not all come apart :( it never said in the book though to weave it through! :( will have to see what happens...:(

yeah i ordered 3 balls, bit pricey all in all for a pair of socks, if i get that far! The dpns were seperate.

Have you got any tail left to weave through? If not you could get some clear nail varnish and dab a little on the knots to bond them shut if you know what I mean (or you could get something called 'stop fray' which is similar and made for dressmaking but will cost more).

The yarn you have ordered is self patterning so you wont need to change colours:) Being 6ply they should knit up reasonably quickly too.

LisaH xxx

just the last ones tail end left, will weave that. I'll do the clear nail varnish probably on the others. I dont know ey, this knitting lark, theres always something :rolleyes:;)

To be honest im abit unsure about weaving, i've done it but i don't know how you do it properly. You know without it being noticeable in the main knitting. I think Hecate needs to do a guide for me ;):P lol

just the last ones tail end left, will weave that. I'll do the clear nail varnish probably on the others. I dont know ey, this knitting lark, theres always something :rolleyes:;)

To be honest im abit unsure about weaving, i've done it but i don't know how you do it properly. You know without it being noticeable in the main knitting. I think Hecate needs to do a guide for me ;):P lol

Theres probably a proper way of doing it but I tend to take the yarn through a few of the bumps on the back side of your knitting to try and hide it as much as possible. With yours Im guessing it will mostly be at seams so you shouldnt really see it. Ill have a look and see if I can find anything on finishing - yes here has a video - the small demo one.

LisaH xxx

Theres probably a proper way of doing it but I tend to take the yarn through a few of the bumps on the back side of your knitting to try and hide it as much as possible. With yours Im guessing it will mostly be at seams so you shouldnt really see it. Ill have a look and see if I can find anything on finishing - yes here has a video - the small demo one.

LisaH xxx

Thanx Lisa, i did have a quick look on knittinghelp for help but didn't find anything, obviously not looking well enough! I'm having a quick peek at the vid now, forgive me if i dont reply to this thread until thursday as when i've watched this vid im out the door on my way to Notts, for a visit home. Thanx again, god i love this knitting group! :)

EDIT: Oh dear, i have a horrible feeling this blankets going to unravell itself at some point, definitley telling mum its handwash only! I can't believe the book failed to go into detail about cast off, weaving etc. i want to cry! Oh well, at least i know for the future!

First off, congratulations on finishing the blanket! Second, I finish off the last stich in the cast off exactly like that. You pull the yarn through the final stitch from underneath and out through the top of the stitch, then pull it tight.

You should have about a 6-8 inch tail of yarn left. I do what Lisa does, and weave it through the purl bumps on the reverse. I go through a few bumps twice (in the opposite direction) if the yarn is quite fine and I'm sure it won't be noticable. If you want, I'll do some photos to show you exactly what I do. Let me know. I think you should get on with the video though.

Are you sure you didn't get a bit too close to the underlying stitches when you trimmed the ends? I've made the mistake of cutting through pre-exisitng stitches before. Sometimes, even if you only make a tiny cut, the stitch can sort of fray open, especially if it's not a tightly plied yarn.

EDIT: I've just noticed in your other post that you said you didn't weave the ends in. I'll second what Lisa said and suggest getting some of that stop fray stuff. Be careful if you use clear nail polish though, as sometimes it can yellow with age.

As for the socks: Hurray! I've used the Jungle colourway too, and confirm that the 6 ply does knit up quickly. It's much easier to handle than the usual thinner sock yarn too.

Just had a looky and its Fray Stop or Fray Check that you want - did a Google search and its only £2.50ish so not so bad - and it withstands repeated washing so Id get some of that. Its kind of glue.

LisaH xxx

Are you sure you didn't get a bit too close to the underlying stitches when you trimmed the ends? I've made the mistake of cutting through pre-exisitng stitches before. Sometimes, even if you only make a tiny cut, the stitch can sort of fray open, especially if it's not a tightly plied yarn.

I may well have cut abit too close. Hopefully it will be sorted out when i buy some of that spray stuff (thanx for finding me that out Lisa), i'll have a look for some. Im wanting to make a trip to Hobbycraft next week (not been before, was hoping to get some card making supplies and see what the knitting sections like) i suppose they will have some. My yarn and dpns came this morning - speedy service from mcadirect. I'm quite excited about starting some socks. Will be hunting out the Hecates guide to knitting on dpns thread!

Here you go :D .

Remember, starting to knit with DPNs will feels strange at first, so be prepared to have several goes before you get the hang of it. Then again, everyone who I've warned to expect difficulties has had no problems at all. I think it must just be me :hihi: .

Any problems or questions, post them here :) .

I may well have cut abit too close. Hopefully it will be sorted out when i buy some of that spray stuff (thanx for finding me that out Lisa), i'll have a look for some. Im wanting to make a trip to Hobbycraft next week (not been before, was hoping to get some card making supplies and see what the knitting sections like) i suppose they will have some. My yarn and dpns came this morning - speedy service from mcadirect. I'm quite excited about starting some socks. Will be hunting out the Hecates guide to knitting on dpns thread!

I think its more of a dab or paint on than spray. If Hobbycraft dont have it you could try John Lewis or if you are in Sheffield the Direct Sewing and Knitting place in Attercliffe. Other than that you can buy it online. I hope it sorts out your problem.

LisaH xxx