Online shopping and fraud

Hi,

Does anyone work in this area, and deal with fraudulent payments which are then charged back, but the goods have already been delivered?

What solutions are there?

I'm an enquirer!

Is the customer saying that a charge has appeared on their statement for goods they never ordered, or that they ordered goods and they never arrived?

I'm thinking more from a suppliers point, and mitigating this occurrence.

I've PM'd you

The advice I would give is if you're the supplier and wanting to ship goods that you use a traceable delivery service so proof of signature can be obtained.

Special Delivery allows you to insure items up to the value of £250 as standard and more than that at extra costs. However special delivery can cost a fair bit depending on weight of goods.

It also depends on how you take payment too. Worldpay charge you an admin fee of £10 plus whatever the cost of the item was which has been charged back (disputed).

They offer insurance with their service (a monthly fee) which means they wont charge you that admin fee is a charge back occurs. It also has other info re: Fraud protection (as the seller of goods) within their website.

Best to take a look at http://www.worldpay.co.uk for further info on that.

Standard recorded delivery has an insurance of up to £25 per package and cost about 75p on top of weight price of package. So for less expensive products this could be an alternative.

A lot of companies (i.e. Cd Wow / Play.com / DVD.co.uk) use standard no insurance no recorded delivery to keep costs low. However this leaves you open for none receipt claims.

HTH

DB :thumbsup:

Cheers mate!

So it sounds like the bigger the order cost the more likely companies are to use card holder verification techniques and higher priced delivery verification techniques. So the ones who leave themselves open are at the bottom end of the scale, hmm.

Originally posted by DaBouncer

A lot of companies (i.e. Cd Wow / Play.com / DVD.co.uk) use standard no insurance no recorded delivery to keep costs low. However this leaves you open for none receipt claims.

If you obtain a certificate of posting from the Post Office (free) you are insured up to £28 against non-delivery. Although the claims process will take you close to forever.

Originally posted by ncrossland

If you obtain a certificate of posting from the Post Office (free) you are insured up to £28 against non-delivery. Although the claims process will take you close to forever.

However I'm assuming in that case then, that 'certificate of posting' (free ;) ) would be sufficient enough for any company (such as CD wow) to give to the Credit Card company as 'proof of postage' am I correct?

So in 'theory' so long as communication takes place between all parties, and supply of 'proof' to those who require it is available you couldn't lose out by just using this measure and the customer couldn't put through a 'credit card dispute' claim - correct?