Who loves Sheffield's woods?

I read somewhere (cant' remember where) that 45% of people in Sheffield live within a 10 minute walk of woods, so i just wondered who loves the woods and which you like best.

I live just a few minutes walk from Cat lane and Lees Hall woods and walk there regularly. I love the contrast with being one minute in the city then the next minute you could imagine you were in the countryside.One of my favourite walks is up through the various Gleadless Valley woods up to Heardings where there's a great view back into the city, about 4 miles round walk without crossing a road, through 'hidden' valleys in the middle of a housing estate! Well that's what I love about Sheffield!

We've had threads before about people's favourite parks and woods in and around Sheffield but I can't be bothered searching for them.

My favourites are Rivelin Valley, up to Whyming Brook, and Glen Howe Park in Wharncliffe side.

I think we are lucky to be surrounded by such great countryside.

Greno woods, the Wharncliffe plantation, lovely places where I used to play all through the summer as a kid, often not getting home until long after 10 at night.

My favourites are Rivelin Valley, up to Whyming Brook, and Glen Howe Park in Wharncliffe side.

I've not tried that walk, I've been in Rivelin valley but not walked futher up, have to go some time.

Aren't our great Sheffield woodlands still surviving because of some sort of historic charter that decrees they cannot be cut down/built on?

I'm sure I read this somewhere.......?

Greno woods, the Wharncliffe plantation, lovely places where I used to play all through the summer as a kid, often not getting home until long after 10 at night.

Sounds idyllic!

Wish kids could still play safely in the woods.Probably still can most of the time but i wouldn't want to risk it.Though i let them walk back from school through Lees Hall woods if theres a few of them together.Fantastic in spring when the bluebells are out but shame about all the rubbish the schoolkids drop

Sounds idyllic!

Wish kids could still play safely in the woods.Probably still can most of the time but i wouldn't want to risk it.Though i let them walk back from school through Lees Hall woods if theres a few of them together.Fantastic in spring when the bluebells are out but shame about all the rubbish the schoolkids drop

Where I live at the moment is beautiful, woodland and crags right outside my front door and there are some lovely walks here that go on for miles if you want them to. The trouble is litter here too, theres a new school and the kids roam all over the place and you can tell exactly where theyve been by the crisp packs and sweet wrappers.

Its sad that they dont appreciate the area where they live, they ought to be made to live in Parsons cross in the 60s, 70s,80s and 90s for a while. Thatd teach them.

Aren't our great Sheffield woodlands still surviving because of some sort of historic charter that decrees they cannot be cut down/built on?

I hope you're right, as it would be reassuring to know that the woods are protected.

Does anyone else know any more about this?

Rivelin Valley and the woods near ASDA at Handsworth, I spent most of my childhood in one or the other.

i regularly go through greno woods with a few mates on push bikes and go on to wharncliffe craggs, some great views to be seen around there

Buck Wood, between Arbourthorne and Gleadless is well worth a visit, especially when the bluebells are in flower.

..... and mentioning bluebells - you can't beat Ecclesall Woods in the Spring for a fantastic display of these lovely flowers. :thumbsup:

Buck Wood, between Arbourthorne and Gleadless is well worth a visit, especially when the bluebells are in flower.

Is Buck wood one of the woods in gleadless Valley which are all linked together or is it separate? i m not sure exactly where it is.