View Full Version : Old Sheff bands of the 80's +90's

Pages : [1] 2

shaun
29-01-2003, 15:43
does anyone remember the Barflys a sheff band who werent too bad i saw them at the leadmill backing pj harvy

GrahamY
25-02-2003, 15:06
Is this them with Bobby Knutt?

http://www.barflys.co.uk/index.htm

25-02-2003, 16:55
no they were from sheff (firthpark)

collideascope
26-02-2003, 10:14
Originally posted by "shaun"

does anyone remember the Barflys a sheff band who werent too bad i saw them at the leadmill backing pj harvy

Oh yeah. I saw them a couple of times. Not wholly my cup of meat, but still a pretty good band. I was well into the local music scene....

Will

mikey
01-03-2003, 12:15
I used to go and see loads of bands in the 80s.
to see the local up and coming talent, The best used to be the battle of the bands at Steeleys.

Sharp Cuts - these are still going but not the full original line, they used to busk on Fargate, I hear they are planning a 25Th year bash at the city hall

Snap 14 - Not sure what happened to these

Many more but I can not remember the names, any body remember these bands???

collideascope
03-03-2003, 14:10
Originally posted by "mikey"

to see the local up and coming talent, The best used to be the battle of the bands at Steeleys.

Sharp Cuts - these are still going but not the full original line, they used to busk on Fargate, I hear they are planning a 25Th year bash at the city hall

Oh they were great ! Liked them a lot.

I remember the name, but can't remember much about them, to be honest. But then between the early 80's and early 90's, Sheffield was awash with great bands. I never understood why more didn't break out of Sheffield and at least try to "Go national".

andy37
28-03-2003, 19:05
I'm sure I saw The Sharp Cuts busking in Northampton town centre in the 80's the day before Northampton Town were at home to United. I can also remember seeing loads of bands at the Limit & pubs round town,
Artery
Vision
Person To Person
Mirror Crack'd
Vendino Pact
to name but 5. The Rock on the Rates gigs were always a good way to see bands cheap. I can remember my careers teacher giving us free tickets for New Order at the Poly. Those were the days.

mikey
10-04-2003, 09:03
Not exactly Sheffield bands, but I did go to see U2 at the Limit, and The Jam's farewell concert at Steeley's (Top Rank), god that was some gig.

Used to see the Human League girls dancing around in the Crazy Daisy also, in fact I saw one of them recently in Sainsbury's at Archer Rd.

Funny old world isnt it, should have said to her Don't you want me baby......intead of those beans!!

chris.bright
23-07-2003, 18:24
just as well you didn't, I bet she stopped finding it funny after the first five or six hundred times.

I used to go to school with one of Vendino Pact & saw them in London in the early 80's. Not much of a Sheffield connection really...

Still, Bryan, if you read this, get in touch. Colin Tenwick has my e-mail.

Jon
23-07-2003, 18:33
Anyone go see Bill Murrey & The Boys From Bury? All from Sheffield and the leader singer wasn't called Bill Murrey 8) weird

asgarth
17-08-2003, 20:08
i just seen the band vision mentiond in one of these posts anyone know of any web sites about said band thanks.

paulcrofts
22-12-2003, 00:58
to reply to mikey from Jan 2003. Snap 14 split up around the middle of 84. I played guitar and joined The Touch for the next year, and then sod all afterwards. Tina the keyboard player didn't join another band. Nick the drummer was in The Warhols for a while - don't what he's doing now. James the singer/bassist went on to be in Skin, then Don Valley and the Rotherhides(under the pseudonym Norton Lees) and is currently in Chicken Legs Weaver, who I haven't seen, but by all accounts are very good.

mikey
29-12-2003, 10:08
Paulcrofts
Wow thanks for the reply, there was life after snap14, you guys should do a reunion gig;)

20 years on...

Heeleylass
18-01-2004, 23:28
I have recently been looking online for information about Vision,(I have vinyl records"Lucifers Friend" etc)the played at Saturdays(Roxy's) & the singer's wife had a retro clothes shop just about Sportsman pub Charles Street.Does anyone remember Radiation??Worked Pubs & WMC's.Bowie influence & make-up!! I remember Martin Fry & co(ABC) in the Limit on a regular basis before they became household names in the 80's.Glenn Gregory also used to go in Bellhouse WMC to have the odd pint.

mikey
19-01-2004, 10:45
Originally posted by Heeleylass
Does anyone remember Radiation??

Yep I do, saw them about 6 times around various clubs in Sheffield. Great band... their version of Ziggy Stardust was awesome.:thumbsup:

Grantham
30-04-2005, 12:19
Originally posted by chris.bright
I used to go to school with one of Vendino Pact & saw them in London in the early 80's. Not much of a Sheffield connection really...

Still, Bryan, if you read this, get in touch. Colin Tenwick has my e-mail.

VENDINO PACT - saw them lots in Sheffield, and at 'The Venue' near Victoria Station in London.

CathS
01-05-2005, 09:52
Does anyone remember a band called Eat don't Hula. Vaguely remember meeting the lead singer when i was in my teens but never actually heard them play.

Cath x

pinhead
01-05-2005, 10:07
I used to play bass in Rough Copy, I remember being in the same heat as Snap 14 at the Top Rank suite. Hi to you Paul, did we do a gig with you guys at The Limit later? Rough Copy also supported The Damned at the Poly on the Rock on the Rates scheme. There is a photo of us in the Martin Lilleker book, Beats Working For a Living, my kids did not know me and laughed very loud when I told them it is me. Seems a million years away now and probably is. I am still playing now, will be at The Dusty Miller, Barlborough 14/05/2005.

Yes it was a plug!!

dishwasher
01-05-2005, 10:15
What about The Extras.

Saw them at Weston Park on Sunday afternoon in the late 70s, early 80s.

Some people used to get very excited about them. They reminded me of Roxy Music.

melthebell
01-05-2005, 11:56
Originally posted by CathS
Does anyone remember a band called Eat don't Hula. Vaguely remember meeting the lead singer when i was in my teens but never actually heard them play.

Cath x
Ive got a 7" by eat dont hula
---------------------------------------------------------
Anybody heard SLBC psychoterrorism research unit? i still have a 12" by them :P
I also used to know loads of little punk and metal bands in the late 80's / early 90's and saw loads, i still have a list of all my old gigs i used to watch, at places like the hallamshire hotel, the refectory, leadmill etc.
Does anybody remember the bendy monsters / muzzle club?
http://members.tripod.com/~angelsegg/History.htm

I used to go to school with a few of them, still have 4 or 5 of their old demo tapes.

Albatross
02-05-2005, 06:16
Some of the guys from Radiation were buddies of mine back then. The drummer went on to play with (among others) Jimmy James and the Vagabonds and the bass player went to live in South Africa.

Norbert
02-05-2005, 08:07
Radiation's guitarist was called Dave. He and Steve Singleton of ABC had a act called Bleep & Booster that operated out of their studio off West St (c1990) where Dave was resident engineer.

Radiation were great, I remember a big fight breaking out at a Woodhouse Central WMC gig. To avoid the flying fists, glasses and table legs I had to get on stage with the band who were s**ting it. Police arrived and had their cars overturned! That was c1983

spook
02-05-2005, 16:25

paulcrofts
20-04-2006, 21:48
[QUOTE=pinhead]I used to play bass in Rough Copy, I remember being in the same heat as Snap 14 at the Top Rank suite. Hi to you Paul, did we do a gig with you guys at The Limit later?

Hi Pinhead (Mark?)
I think we only ever played together at the Top Rank. Pity. I actually bumped into Pete a couple of years later and put a bit of guitar onto a couple of songs he was recording, but nothing ever came of it. Nice to see you're still playing, although you're obviously no good at plugging your band as you didn't actually mention their name. What are they called? I'll try and get to see you.
I'm living the old days over again as my son is currently in a couple of bands - Church of the Holy Dollar (on guitar) and The Strangers (on drums) - so i'm carrying equipment and attending gigs in scruffy pubs. The big difference now is that i'm driving and can't have a drink! Still, better than staying at home watching telly.
Might see you soon
Paul

maxismydog
21-04-2006, 09:51

Cath x

I know the lead singer of Eat Don't Hula and I think my cousin was their bass player. My cousin was also in another band called Trebound Story who made a bit of a local name for themselves, too. My brother/cousin and their mates knew Richard Hawley well, too. They all used to hang around together.

aussieboy
21-04-2006, 16:54
What about Blammo! ?

Amanda1
21-04-2006, 17:00
What about Blammo! ?

Yes, I remember Blammo and also Various Vegetables and Illogic. What happened to them?

melthebell
21-04-2006, 19:48
Yes, I remember Blammo and also Various Vegetables and Illogic. What happened to them?

jody wildgoose from various veggies is on his second album no...ive got the first, about to buy the second (thanks to people on here for pointing me in his direction :) )
i saw illogic quite a few times round sheffield, never saw blammo i dont think, but i remember the name

Agent Gypo
22-04-2006, 15:12
Anyone remember the truly awful Freekspert or Martia Wray?

The lead singer from Freekspert was a complete and utter n_b.

Amanda1
22-04-2006, 18:50
The singer from Freekspert was called Barry and went out with a sheffield lass who was on that model behaviour programme on channel 4 a few years ago. I agree with your sentiments about him too, Agent ****, although whenever I saw him (years ago) out and about in town, he clearly thought he was the dogs b*******!

jfoe
24-04-2006, 20:49
shameless plug for my mate jody (who i was in the various vegetables with). listen to his stuff here...

http://www.myspace.com/jodywildgoose

and here...

www.jodywildgoose.co.uk

blammo did a tour with the Beautiful South in the early 90s if i remember correctly - connection made on the terraces (the respective lead singers were both rabid blades). i think phil (blammo singer) returned to being an architect or something similarly s****y, and sooty (Richard Sutcliffe) the guitarist was last seen by a mate of mine at a bus stop in London - Sooty where are you?

MTheo
28-04-2006, 20:04
Anyone remember the truly awful Freekspert or Martia Wray?

The lead singer from Freekspert was a complete and utter n_b.

A few of freekspert are reborn in sukmunki....www.myspace.com/sukmunkimusic

sounds good to me, but i like a lot of rock music

Titian
28-04-2006, 20:07
The singer from Freekspert was called Barry and went out with a sheffield lass who was on that model behaviour programme on channel 4 a few years ago. I agree with your sentiments about him too, Agent ****, although whenever I saw him (years ago) out and about in town, he clearly thought he was the dogs b*******!

I've known Barry since he was 15. He's a nice guy underneath the facade, and Freakspert were OK, I thought.

pinhead
28-04-2006, 20:31
[QUOTE=pinhead]I used to play bass in Rough Copy, I remember being in the same heat as Snap 14 at the Top Rank suite. Hi to you Paul, did we do a gig with you guys at The Limit later?

Hi Pinhead (Mark?)
I think we only ever played together at the Top Rank. Pity. I actually bumped into Pete a couple of years later and put a bit of guitar onto a couple of songs he was recording, but nothing ever came of it. Nice to see you're still playing, although you're obviously no good at plugging your band as you didn't actually mention their name. What are they called? I'll try and get to see you.
I'm living the old days over again as my son is currently in a couple of bands - Church of the Holy Dollar (on guitar) and The Strangers (on drums) - so i'm carrying equipment and attending gigs in scruffy pubs. The big difference now is that i'm driving and can't have a drink! Still, better than staying at home watching telly.
Might see you soon
Paul

Hi Paul,
Yes its Mark. You are right about Top Rank and The Limit now come to think of it. I know I'm going to sound a right old duffer here but they were really great times then. Loads of bands all with a great diversity of styles and a genuine mutual appreciation for each other's work.

The band is Protex Blue and yes the plugging issue is in a nutshell one of the reasons I still have to work for a living;-). We play covers of all the OLD punk songs. No gigs planned at the moment.

My son plays bass and although he has only done one gig he has the bug and is looking forward to the next one.

PM me when you are next roadieing (is there such a verb) for you son with venue and date.

pete_fcs
28-04-2006, 21:16
hope i'm not repeating myself, but all my old bands are listed here (contains swearing):

http://sheffieldarchives.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

seriessix
28-04-2006, 21:25
I think I saw Bear Cage at the Hallamshire in the early 90's.

paulcrofts
01-05-2006, 23:41
Hi Mark,
Protex Blue eh? I'll keep an eye out for you, and your son's band, if you let me know what they're called.
My son, Adam, plays in 'Church of the Holy Dollar' as guitarist and 'The Strangers' as drummer, although apparently he's in the process of starting another band, probably to be called 'Taken by Tina' (Yes, that's Tina who played keyboards in Splash, my wife and aforementioned son's mother). So, if see any of those names in the gig guides, i'll no doubt be there.
I think you're right about the mutual appreciation bit. I used to enjoy watching whoever else was on when we were playing. But it seems different now. At most of the gigs i've been to with Adam's lot, each band has their own mates watching, who all then leave without watching anyone else. Even most of the bands do it. The Strangers were at the grapes last night, with The Xcorvettes and Avangaad, and i don't think anyone except the Xcorvettes watched anyone else's set. If each band and their friends had stayed upstairs all night it would have been almost full, and a much better atmosphere. Might be something to do with the bar being downstairs, but it's not much better at The boardwalk.
Right, enough moaning, see you.
Paul

paulcrofts
08-05-2006, 23:34
Hey Mark,
here's a coincidence. Some months ago my mate Tony lamb was telling me how someone he worked with at Slater Printing played in a punk band. Nick Short was his name, who i didn't know, but i remembered his brother Jon, who played bass for March the Third. Having looked at your site, turns out the band in question is Protex Blue. Small world eh?

geetee
16-08-2006, 19:49
hi the singer with eat dont hula has a pub, forest on rutland road sings,very good night out saturdays

Ousetunes
17-08-2006, 13:57
I was drummer with The Rickies (hardly an original name but the guitarists all played Rickenbackers, see) in 1989/90. We were a four-piece original outfit who relied on the Mersey Sound and look.

We played local gigs, places like the Greyhound, Attercliffe; Hallamshire, West St. (my knuckles are still on the walls by the stairs), Gossips (we supported Boy On A Dolphin once), the long-gone Domino and The Rising Sun in Nethergreen. We became a tight unit with great vocal harmonies and the musicianship was excellent.

Sadly, Meadowhall was on the drawing board and the band's bass guitarist worked on site. He won a competition and won a cash prize. Eddie Healy (Mr Developer Himself) heard the song (which won the 'suggestions' competition) and paid for us to go into Axis Studio and record it and shoot a video at Meadowhall during summer 1989.

We spent days shooting the video, longer than it took to record the record 'The Steelwork Years'. It seemed everything else was put on hold while we recorded this supposed single and shot its accompanying video.

Thus, by the time we recorded the song's b-side (in a private studio in Dronfield) I'd grown very tired of being the group's drummer and subsequently left April 1990.

But when I recall those gigs, I remember the fun I had, playing to good audiences and having a beer or nine at the same time. As for the studios and everything else (lugging equipment up those stairs at the Hallamshire, for example) I don't miss it that much.

PhilMurray
17-08-2006, 14:03
Anyone go see Bill Murrey & The Boys From Bury? All from Sheffield and the leader singer wasn't called Bill Murrey 8) weird
It was Phil Murray and the boys from bury:)

SheffNiner
17-08-2006, 15:08
Hey Mark,
here's a coincidence. Some months ago my mate Tony lamb was telling me how someone he worked with at Slater Printing played in a punk band. Nick Short was his name, who i didn't know, but i remembered his brother Jon, who played bass for March the Third. Having looked at your site, turns out the band in question is Protex Blue. Small world eh?

Nick I was at school with- he was a drummer(very good one too), played in various bands, started off supporting Pulp with his brother Jon in a band called Crude around 1981/82ish, Jon who's a bit older I think is still playing round and about, but cant remember name of his band.

Sweetcheeks
17-08-2006, 22:25
The three Sheffield groups that I had a fondness for were Danse Society, Harbourkings and the wonderful Comsat Angels. I am sorry if I am stating the obvious naming these 3 bands as all of them had a degree of success compared with some groups mentioned on this thread. I enjoyed the 2 CD`s released by Harbourkings very much and the Comsats were simply a gem of a band who have influenced hundreds of musicians and are rightly lauded as one of the UK`s best groups.

paulcrofts
31-08-2006, 20:10
[QUOTE=paulcrofts]

PM me when you are next roadieing (is there such a verb) for you son with venue and date.

Hi Mark,
i know you asked for a PM, but we're talking promotion here.
My son's band The Strangers are launching a 4 track EP (recorded at Steelworks) with a gig at DnR, just down from The Boardwalk on Wed 27th September.
Interestingly enough, the bassist from one of the other bands, Vasquez, is my old next door neighbour (and older than me!)
If you want to hear them before deciding whether to come try their myspace page.

www.myspace.com/thestrangersband

Be nice to see you there, although recognising you might be a problem after 20-odd years. Hopefully you've not changed a great deal.
Paul

Vasquez Rich
31-08-2006, 20:18
Vasquez??? Who dat den?

I will be there at DNR, older, wiser, balder (that's gonna be the name of my debut solo album.. when I learn to play guitar, learn to sing and learn to write decent songs) :D .

And, I recall Splash/Snap14 (not sure if they'd changed their name by then) playing with Rough Copy at The Marples in a Rock Against Racism Benefit in 1980, cos I took some pictures.

paulcrofts
31-08-2006, 20:27
Ha hA,
Online then, Richard.

I remember them photos, That was my first gig, and I was frozen to the spot for most of it. Remember the long exposure shot you took to get some blurry motion shots, but i looked normal apart from a blurred hand.
Could have played keyboards for Sparks with movement like that. (Although Russell Senior was always second-in-line for that job)

Vasquez Rich
31-08-2006, 21:26
Russell Senior :hihi:

pinhead
31-08-2006, 22:11
[QUOTE=pinhead]

Hi Mark,
i know you asked for a PM, but we're talking promotion here.
My son's band The Strangers are launching a 4 track EP (recorded at Steelworks) with a gig at DnR, just down from The Boardwalk on Wed 27th September.
Interestingly enough, the bassist from one of the other bands, Vasquez, is my old next door neighbour (and older than me!)
If you want to hear them before deciding whether to come try their myspace page.

www.myspace.com/thestrangersband

Be nice to see you there, although recognising you might be a problem after 20-odd years. Hopefully you've not changed a great deal.
Paul

Hi Paul,

Missed a few of your posts over the last couple of months.
Will be there for sure at DnR and will ask Pete to come too as I am back in touch with him. Yes Nick is the drummer with Protex Blue, the longest lasting at six years. His brother, John is still working and did the Bandaoke at The Walkabout on Sunday nights.

Mark

pinhead
31-08-2006, 22:24
The three Sheffield groups that I had a fondness for were Danse Society, Harbourkings and the wonderful Comsat Angels. I am sorry if I am stating the obvious naming these 3 bands as all of them had a degree of success compared with some groups mentioned on this thread. I enjoyed the 2 CD`s released by Harbourkings very much and the Comsats were simply a gem of a band who have influenced hundreds of musicians and are rightly lauded as one of the UK`s best groups.

Hey Up Sweetcheeks,

I remember the Harbourkings when they were The Untouchables doing Heartbreakers and New York Dolls covers. They were a three peice but were very powerful aswell as tight. I did have a chance to join them and for the life of me don't know why I didn't as they were a great band and I regret it to this day. I don't own copies of their releases but I have heard them and they are very good. It would be great to see them play a one off or whatever and possibly throw in some of those Johnny Thunders covers.

lambretta
04-09-2006, 17:31
hi the singer with eat dont hula has a pub, forest on rutland road sings,very good night out saturdays

I remember Eat Dont Hula they played loads of gigs around Sheffield they were a top live band

UKSentinel
04-09-2006, 19:45
I used to follow a Sheffield band round called Anthill Mob (used to be I-D-I) I remember them being in the Battle of the Bands and they came 2nd, with the Sharpcuts coming 1st. Some awesome tunes!

paulcrofts
05-09-2006, 22:40
[QUOTE=pinhead]

Paul

Just been informed that DnR has moved! It is now in the upstairs room at Bar 101 on Arundel Gate.

pinhead
16-09-2006, 16:39
[QUOTE=paulcrofts]

Just been informed that DnR has moved! It is now in the upstairs room at Bar 101 on Arundel Gate.

Paul is the gig still on for the 27th?

antiload
16-09-2006, 22:45
Anyone remember 'Night Train' 50 style rock & roll band from Crookes? They played the University on the first ever Comic Relief night???
Or
the Nearly Band from Nether Edge - Did a mean version of 'White Rabbit'?

Vasquez Rich
17-09-2006, 15:19
[QUOTE=paulcrofts]

Paul is the gig still on for the 27th?

The gig is still on. Definite. The location is the "new" DnR Live which is indeed the old Bar 101 on Arundel Gate. It's approximetely opposite where the Mulberry Tavern was, between Roxys and The Hole In The Road (showing me age there!).

Just to plug my lot..

www.myspace.com/vasquezdownload (http://www.myspace.com/vasquezdownload)

We're prob 2nd or third on I think.

paulcrofts
21-10-2006, 22:07
Mark, thanks for coming to the gig.
let me know when your son is playing and i'll come down.
Paul

paulcrofts
21-10-2006, 22:21
Does anyone have any MP3s of any bands from this time?
Such as -
Rough Copy, Silent Running, Alice Goes Pop, Ton Ton Macoute, Mrs Beech & The Heretics, YahBoo, The Mirror Crack'd, Toy Shop, Maison Rouge, Tsi-Tsa.

PhilMurray
25-10-2006, 16:54
Such as -
Rough Copy, Silent Running, Alice Goes Pop, Ton Ton Macoute, Mrs Beech & The Heretics, YahBoo, The Mirror Crack'd, Toy Shop, Maison Rouge, Tsi-Tsa.
I saw toy shop suppoting flock of seaguls bout 82/83ish

paddy23
03-11-2006, 17:51
I know the lead singer of Eat Don't Hula and I think my cousin was their bass player. My cousin was also in another band called Trebound Story who made a bit of a local name for themselves, too. My brother/cousin and their mates knew Richard Hawley well, too. They all used to hang around together.

Do you know how to contact Gary Tilney as my wifes 60th birthday is coming up and she used to work with him and we'd like to surprise her.
michellekitson1@tiscali.co.uk

paulcrofts
03-11-2006, 21:16
I saw toy shop suppoting flock of seaguls bout 82/83ish

Wow! Toy Shop & Flock of Seagulls. Boots must have run out of hairspray that day!
(Just kidding Paul or Phil - if you're paying attention.)

Reesh2052
15-11-2006, 20:06
I used to play bass in Rough Copy, I remember being in the same heat as Snap 14 at the Top Rank suite. Hi to you Paul, did we do a gig with you guys at The Limit later? Rough Copy also supported The Damned at the Poly on the Rock on the Rates scheme. There is a photo of us in the Martin Lilleker book, Beats Working For a Living, my kids did not know me and laughed very loud when I told them it is me. Seems a million years away now and probably is. I am still playing now, will be at The Dusty Miller, Barlborough 14/05/2005.

Yes it was a plug!!

I remember Rough Copy well, Pete Carter, Mark Crossley, Tommy Harrison and Gareth. I remember going down to the Leadmill building before Rough Copy got together as a full band. The room that they used was in a death defying location, you could see the floor below through the floor boards. I still play the Demo tape, as l attended nearly every gig l could. Long live rock n roll....and the Truth Remains!!!!

Vasquez Rich
15-11-2006, 22:00
I think there's a picture of Rough Copy on the wall in The Frog & Parrott. I saw them playing with Splash/Snap14 upstairs in The Marples so long ago I've gone grey and bald in the meantime...

Reesh2052
16-11-2006, 17:29
I think there's a picture of Rough Copy on the wall in The Frog & Parrott. I saw them playing with Splash/Snap14 upstairs in The Marples so long ago I've gone grey and bald in the meantime...
I was very likely there with you too. Their name was sprayed very neatly too on the wall of the City hall at one time. Not done by the band members l can assure you.

pinhead
17-11-2006, 17:27
I was very likely there with you too. Their name was sprayed very neatly too on the wall of the City hall at one time. Not done by the band members l can assure you.

Mmm.... not too sure about that Reesh. Seem to remember some of the members were seen scrubbing whit epaint off their hands once or twice!!!!

Reesh2052
18-11-2006, 06:56
Hey Mark ,
How are you. I can't reply on here yet as l need to post 10 replies first apparently. So could you email me again and put your e-mail address to it, l'll be in touch soon after matey. ReeshI used to play bass in Rough Copy, I remember being in the same heat as Snap 14 at the Top Rank suite. Hi to you Paul, did we do a gig with you guys at The Limit later? Rough Copy also supported The Damned at the Poly on the Rock on the Rates scheme. There is a photo of us in the Martin Lilleker book, Beats Working For a Living, my kids did not know me and laughed very loud when I told them it is me. Seems a million years away now and probably is. I am still playing now, will be at The Dusty Miller, Barlborough 14/05/2005.

Yes it was a plug!!

Cazzerb65
20-11-2006, 14:27
I remember Snap 14, Touch, Sharp Cuts from Band Comp at Steeleys too. My hubby was in Kirlian Lens in the same competition when Sharp Cuts won it in ely 80s.

Caz

BrewsterW
18-01-2007, 12:42
Anyone remember 'Night Train' 50 style rock & roll band from Crookes? They played the University on the first ever Comic Relief night???
Or
the Nearly Band from Nether Edge - Did a mean version of 'White Rabbit'?

Wahaaaaay! Si, erstwhile singer with the Nearly Band here - Good to get a name check among such illustrious company of other 'nearly' bands.

Phil Murray and the Boys From Bury - what an act and still going strong... Up there with Half Man Half Biscuit on the genius comedy front. I can still recite whole songs of theirs.

paulcrofts
06-02-2007, 00:26
I remember Rough Copy well, Pete Carter, Mark Crossley, Tommy Harrison and Gareth. I remember going down to the Leadmill building before Rough Copy got together as a full band. The room that they used was in a death defying location, you could see the floor below through the floor boards. I still play the Demo tape, as l attended nearly every gig l could. Long live rock n roll....and the Truth Remains!!!!

Hi Ryzard. I guess it's you.
If you have any means of converting that demo tape into mp3's i'd love to hear it. And Mark too i think. He apparently doesn't have any of the old Rough Copy stuff.
Paul

Reesh2052
06-02-2007, 07:57
Hi Paul,

l don't have anything to convert the tape to mp3 but l will see if l can find someone to do it and let you know.

Reesh

If you have any means of converting that demo tape into mp3's i'd love to hear it. And Mark too i think. He apparently doesn't have any of the old Rough Copy stuff.
Paul

Grappler
06-02-2007, 09:45

I remember seeing them on Saturday afternoons on Fargate and saw them at a wedding last year, only original one is (I think) the guitarist, Steve, who looks EXACTLY the same as he did back then and does not seem to have aged at all!!!!!

Grappler
06-02-2007, 09:49
I'm sure I saw The Sharp Cuts busking in Northampton town centre in the 80's the day before Northampton Town were at home to United. I can also remember seeing loads of bands at the Limit & pubs round town,
Artery
Vision
Person To Person
Mirror Crack'd
Vendino Pact
to name but 5. The Rock on the Rates gigs were always a good way to see bands cheap. I can remember my careers teacher giving us free tickets for New Order at the Poly. Those were the days.

I saw Artery loads of times, they were one of the best bands during that era, my daughter bought me two Artery CD's at Christmas and if I close my eyes while they are on it's just like being back at one of their gigs. Mirror Crack'd were on TV once, the singer was called "Rick" I think? I remeber all the others to varying degrees as well.

Anyone remember Reactor? They went on to become Molodoy, I remember seeing them support Sham 69 in 1978 at the Students UNion place.

Merry_Legs
06-02-2007, 10:23
I remember Radiation, Scarlet Timpany, Dig Vis Drill :love: , Vision, Dance Society (were they from Barnsley?), Sharp Cuts , and Don Valley and the Rotherhides. There were loads of others too, those were the days....

Grappler
06-02-2007, 10:44
Might see you soon
Paul

I saw the Strangers at the Grapes last year, my son's band, The Pickups, were supporting.

Grappler
06-02-2007, 10:51
Such as -

Didn't Tsi-Tsa become Mrs. Beech?

Tsi-Tsa were the local rival band to ours, we were called "The Bloc" but we only ever played two gigs and then folded. Tsi-Tsa (original line-up) had Mick "Daisy" Day and Rob "Dingo" Dowling on vocals, Paul "Becky" Beighton on bass (who sadly died quite young), Richard Anderson on guitar (who I think went on to be in Vitamin Z) and Mick Miller on drums.

paulcrofts
06-02-2007, 17:50
Didn't Tsi-Tsa become Mrs. Beech?

Tsi-Tsa were the local rival band to ours, we were called "The Bloc" but we only ever played two gigs and then folded. Tsi-Tsa (original line-up) had Mick "Daisy" Day and Rob "Dingo" Dowling on vocals, Paul "Becky" Beighton on bass (who sadly died quite young), Richard Anderson on guitar (who I think went on to be in Vitamin Z) and Mick Miller on drums.

When i knew them, Dingo was singing for Mrs Beech & Tsi-Tsa had Josie Robson on vocals. Definitely 2 seperate bands at that time. I think Mick joined Comsat Angels for a while not long after Tsi-Tsa packed up.

WoodseatsDJ
06-02-2007, 19:20
Such as -

I have some Mirror Crack'd mp3s I've ripped from cassette tapes so some not as good as others although the mint condition vinyl singles produced some good ones! Can still hear Dandy Wallflower every now and then at 'The Woodseats' Friday nights)
14 tracks Live at Dingwalls in 1983 . 3 tracks recorded live with porta studio gear at rehearsal rooms on Arundel St with Laurie & Allanah. 9 tracks from the final of the star rock & pop competition at Roxy / Rop Rank- when Toy Shops and their Ironing board piped them to the post. I had some recorded in Manchster for the Janice Long show but location? - and the radio hallam ones?

What a list of bands - nearly all supported each other in various combinations. I also have all the cuttings & full centre spreads material from the R&P comp published in the Star.

pinhead
06-02-2007, 22:01
Paul

Hey you two I was talking to "one legged Tim" just before Christamas and he has loads of stuff that he taped when we played. He's back from a trip abroad later this month so I am hoping to borrow some tapes to copy. I remember one tape he was selling was simply called "Rough Copy - The band With the Smooth Finish" What a character he is. Seen him mentioned in the latest Strummer biography by Chris Salewicz.

paulcrofts
06-02-2007, 22:33
[QUOTE=WoodseatsDJ;1926644]I have some Mirror Crack'd mp3s I've ripped from cassette tapes so some not as good as others although the mint condition vinyl singles produced some good ones! ....... 9 tracks from the final of the star rock & pop competition at Roxy / Rop Rank- when Toy Shops and their Ironing board piped them to the post.

Hey, the ironing board was us (Splash). and incredibly Tina still used it even when she spent 500 on a decent Yamaha synth. And this was the eighties - god knows what that translates to after 20 years of inflation.

We're you in the band? That's a lot of material.
If I send you a PM with my e-mail address, is there any chance you could send me those MP3's? I'll reciprocate when i get around to doing some of my own, although i don't have much. 5 Splash songs, 2 Toy Shop and several Silent Running, but you're welcome to them if i can transfer them OK.
cheers
paul

WoodseatsDJ
06-02-2007, 23:40
No I wasn't in the band but knocked around with them a lot at the time till i sort of got grounded with the traps and poverties of young parenthood. Did their lighting mostly (and others at the top rank during that comp) you're welcome to email me I can get the stuff onto a CD - I'm even feeling spurred on to scan the newspaper stuff now - might even get it up on the web. Tony

Grappler
07-02-2007, 10:25
Does anyone remember about 10 years ago when Weston Park Museum had a display of old Sheffield bands material? Posters, clippings from the Star, pictures, records, brought back loads of great memories for me. I still have some stuff up in the attic I think, must look one day!

paulcrofts
08-02-2007, 00:18
I saw the Strangers at the Grapes last year, my son's band, The Pickups, were supporting.

Hi Grappler,

don't think i was at that one, but i'll keep my eye out for them in future.
The only problem with your kid's doing all this stuff is that it reminds you of how much you actually enjoyed it, which is no good when you're 45 and probably a worse musician than you used to be. (I am speaking for myself here.)
cheers
paul

Grappler
08-02-2007, 00:40
Hi Grappler,

The only problem with your kid's doing all this stuff is that it reminds you of how much you actually enjoyed it, which is no good when you're 45 and probably a worse musician than you used to be. (I am speaking for myself here.)
cheers
paul

I know what you mean Paul, I taught my lad a few chords a few years ago and now he is miles better than me, teaching me stuff!!!

paulcrofts
15-02-2007, 20:46
I know what you mean Paul, I taught my lad a few chords a few years ago and now he is miles better than me, teaching me stuff!!!

It's their age that gets me. My lad was 18 only last week, but so far he's played about 18 gigs. I think i only played around 50 all the time i was at it, and i was 19 before i started.
Eee, these young un's etc etc etc.
paul

melthebell
15-02-2007, 20:52
check out my new site in my siggy to do with sheff bands of the 80s and 90s :)

Vasquez Rich
15-02-2007, 21:33
Hi Grappler,

cheers
paul

Don't believe it.. get yerself back in a band young Crofts, you gotta be 2 years younger than I am anyway...

loobtastic
15-02-2007, 21:43
My sis recently completed her MSc with one from Pulp. Dunno who.

loobtastic
15-02-2007, 22:05
Oooh also, I used to work for BA and had Martyn Fry on a flt, I upgraded him to Club(busines class) and he was as obnoxious as hell.

Having said that the drummer from Arctic Monkeys was in Pizza Express and he was happy to have a chat wi my nephew. STAR!!

kensimmo
16-02-2007, 08:22
I'd forgotten that the Top Rank (Roxy's) had once been named Steeley's. Can anyone recall what period this was?

Not exactly Sheffield bands, but I did go to see U2 at the Limit, and The Jam's farewell concert at Steeley's (Top Rank), god that was some gig.

Used to see the Human League girls dancing around in the Crazy Daisy also, in fact I saw one of them recently in Sainsbury's at Archer Rd.

Funny old world isnt it, should have said to her Don't you want me baby......intead of those beans!!

Keelycam
10-03-2007, 11:27
Can anyone remember John o Haras Playboys????

Sheffielder
10-03-2007, 13:24
Found a definitive list here:

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=67

kensimmo
12-03-2007, 08:36
Yes. They almost made it very big. John is back working the pub circuit in Sheffield but, sadly, he's past his best.

Keelycam
12-03-2007, 08:48
Yes. They almost made it very big. John is back working the pub circuit in Sheffield but, sadly, he's past his best.
Not seen him 4 years, was a friend of my dads he used to take me to see him all the time!!!!!!!! not fun when ur 8 yrs old. He will be getting on a bit now wont he:)

Nidge
23-03-2007, 20:18
I have recently been looking online for information about Vision,(I have vinyl records"Lucifers Friend" etc)the played at Saturdays(Roxy's) & the singer's wife had a retro clothes shop just about Sportsman pub Charles Street.Does anyone remember Radiation??Worked Pubs & WMC's.Bowie influence & make-up!! I remember Martin Fry & co(ABC) in the Limit on a regular basis before they became household names in the 80's.Glenn Gregory also used to go in Bellhouse WMC to have the odd pint.

I remember Radiation, I just got my girlfriend to come online and look for anything about them and she came across this forum, I used to drag my mates all over to see them and they hated it, lol.
Was the clothes shop you mentioned X clothes? I used to go in there a lot too.

Gemima
23-03-2007, 20:38

I used to work with Gary in the early 90's. I must visit the Forest to see if he is still there. We had some great times and went to see Eat Dont Hula on may occasion it was sad when they split.

Englishmike
16-04-2007, 17:28
Interesting to read some of the posts as I was in one of the bands mentioned. I was the lead singer of TSI-TSA and probably need to correct a couple of misconceptions. TSI-TSA were martin Whitham on drums, Jonathon Wills on Bass, Mick Hercun on guitar, Dingo (Robert Dowling) on vocals and Me - Michael "Daisy" Day on vocals. Later terations of the band such as the one that played at the Steeleys battle of the bands had Dingo replaced with Josie Robson who joined from ADSR international. the band members that were mentioned here as being TSI-TSA were actually members of Short Circuit, a short lived punk band that consisted of Dingo and Daisy on vocals, paul Beighton on Bass (Correct about dying young sadly in an industrial accident), Richard Anderson on guitar and Mick Miller on drums.
So after all that here is what happened to some of those people:

Mick hercun went on to tour with the ComSat Angels I believe (Kevin Bacon the CS Angels bassist produced a demo for Tsi-TSa recorded in 1982 or 83)
Jonathon Wills plays Bass in a punk cover band called the punkadelics, Richard Anderson played with Mrs. Beech and later with Vitamin Z, Josie went on to become a professor and now introduces and helps women get jobs in the music industry (not sure if I got that totally right). I moved to America and now my two sons are in a band called Blind Issues playing punk music - enough to amke an old man proud. I have MP3s of Tsi-Tsa and Mrs Beech and the pencil strpies and would be happy to share them if anyone wants me to. We have often talked about getting together for fun in Sheffield but Mick Hercun apparently wats to forget that part of his life. I do occasionally play the odd TSI-TSA number with my boys in the garage and it brings a tear to my eye.

Sheffield at that time had a ton of great bands most of whom were also good people and you could always rely on a good crowd at the hallamshire or any of a million places that would allow bands to play. feel free to drop me a line, especially if I know you.

BTW the lead singer of Mirror cracked was Rick Baines and the Martin Lilleker book "beats working for a living" does a pretty good job of describing the scene, the characters and has some of the music from these times.
Daisy

pinkgirl
16-04-2007, 18:32

Remember the sharp cuts well, used to see them at Leadmill and uni
bar circa 1984 ish

Grappler
16-04-2007, 18:43
Interesting to read some of the posts as I was in one of the bands mentioned. I was the lead singer of TSI-TSA and probably need to correct a couple of misconceptions. TSI-TSA were martin Whitham on drums, Jonathon Wills on Bass, Mick Hercun on guitar, Dingo (Robert Dowling) on vocals and Me - Michael "Daisy" Day on vocals. Later terations of the band such as the one that played at the Steeleys battle of the bands had Dingo replaced with Josie Robson who joined from ADSR international. the band members that were mentioned here as being TSI-TSA were actually members of Short Circuit, a short lived punk band that consisted of Dingo and Daisy on vocals, paul Beighton on Bass (Correct about dying young sadly in an industrial accident), Richard Anderson on guitar and Mick Miller on drums.
So after all that here is what happened to some of those people:

Mick hercun went on to tour with the ComSat Angels I believe (Kevin Bacon the CS Angels bassist produced a demo for Tsi-TSa recorded in 1982 or 83)
Jonathon Wills plays Bass in a punk cover band called the punkadelics, Richard Anderson played with Mrs. Beech and later with Vitamin Z, Josie went on to become a professor and now introduces and helps women get jobs in the music industry (not sure if I got that totally right). I moved to America and now my two sons are in a band called Blind Issues playing punk music - enough to amke an old man proud. I have MP3s of Tsi-Tsa and Mrs Beech and the pencil strpies and would be happy to share them if anyone wants me to. We have often talked about getting together for fun in Sheffield but Mick Hercun apparently wats to forget that part of his life. I do occasionally play the odd TSI-TSA number with my boys in the garage and it brings a tear to my eye.

Sheffield at that time had a ton of great bands most of whom were also good people and you could always rely on a good crowd at the hallamshire or any of a million places that would allow bands to play. feel free to drop me a line, especially if I know you.

BTW the lead singer of Mirror cracked was Rick Baines and the Martin Lilleker book "beats working for a living" does a pretty good job of describing the scene, the characters and has some of the music from these times.
Daisy

Hiya Daisy, of course you are right, it was Short Circuit I was thinking of with Becky and Mick Miller, you all practised at the Church hall near Richard Andersons house. I always regret not buying Richard Andersons 50 watt HH amp off him when I had the chance. So you ended up in the USA, nice one mate. Both my son and daughter have played in bands, my daughter was in Pretty Young Things and supported a few chart big names over here before they folded to go off to Uni. My son is in the Pickups (www.myspace.com/thepickupssheffield) and plays lead guitar and sings. Now, I think you should mention "that" record sleeve you appeared on....!!! take care mate.

Englishmike
16-04-2007, 19:59
Grappler appears to know me better than I thought and "that" record sleeve was for an icelandic band called fraebbblarnir who released a single caled false death backed with a punk version of Summer nights from grease (called Summer Knights. I bared all literally for this particular cause and if you google the band you will find my picture on their website. Interesting side note but I actually contacted them a couple of years ago and they never had any idea who's rear was on the front cover but were interested to find out and caught the relationship between the flower on the front cover, my name and the term Daisy Chained which was scratched on the vinyl run off at the end of the record.

Grappler
16-04-2007, 20:52
Grappler appears to know me better than I thought and "that" record sleeve was for an icelandic band called fraebbblarnir who released a single caled false death backed with a punk version of Summer nights from grease (called Summer Knights. I bared all literally for this particular cause and if you google the band you will find my picture on their website. Interesting side note but I actually contacted them a couple of years ago and they never had any idea who's rear was on the front cover but were interested to find out and caught the relationship between the flower on the front cover, my name and the term Daisy Chained which was scratched on the vinyl run off at the end of the record.

White vinyl if I remember correctly? Wasn't it called True Death/False Death? and Summer Nights was hilarious! We all knew it was you, the "Daisy Chain" gave it away.....ah, happy days mate, I will wager that the picture was taken at 107 Whitham Road.......you have mail, Daisy.

paulcrofts
17-04-2007, 17:29
[QUOTE=Englishmike;2150626]
I have MP3s of Tsi-Tsa and Mrs Beech and the pencil strpies and would be happy to share them if anyone wants me to.

Hi Daisy.
I'd love to hear these if you don't mind e-mailing them.
My address is pcrofts27@hotmail.co.uk
At some point I'll get the old Splash/Snap 14 recordings transferred and return the compliment. Also I now have several Mirror Crack'd tracks if you want those.

cheers
Paul

mikey
17-04-2007, 17:36
I still have the Snap 14 demo tape somewhere.

Think the tracks were.

First time
we can get it right if we try.

If somemone wants to turn it into a MP3 then let me know, as I dont have a tape player anymore.

paulcrofts
17-04-2007, 17:53
I still have the Snap 14 demo tape somewhere.

Think the tracks were.

First time
we can get it right if we try.

If somemone wants to turn it into a MP3 then let me know, as I dont have a tape player anymore.

Hi Mikey.
Plus - Please Don't Ask Me Why and Star Sign.
Nice to know someone kept a copy. They cost us around 1.50 each back in 1983. Back when money was money etc etc etc
I'll be in touch as soon as i've converted it.
paul

samie246
24-04-2007, 13:44
Some of the guys from Radiation were buddies of mine back then. The drummer went on to play with (among others) Jimmy James and the Vagabonds and the bass player went to live in South Africa.

ha this is weird...i came on looking for stuff on radiation to show my boyfriend, as the bass player(Alec)is my dad, and the drummer(Chris) is my uncle. I must point out that my dad also played with jimmy, and that he's back here in S.A. and doing well, after moving back to sheffield for 12 years. My uncle Chris is living in Spain now, and the other Broadhead brother, Andrew is still living in Woodseats.

rob.b
17-05-2007, 14:50
Hey Up Sweetcheeks,

I remember the Harbourkings when they were The Untouchables doing Heartbreakers and New York Dolls covers. They were a three peice but were very powerful aswell as tight. I did have a chance to join them and for the life of me don't know why I didn't as they were a great band and I regret it to this day. I don't own copies of their releases but I have heard them and they are very good. It would be great to see them play a one off or whatever and possibly throw in some of those Johnny Thunders covers.

cheers for the comments sweetcheeks and pinhead(were you also known as "crob" or summat?) think i remember you, ginger bass player? anyway yeah we are all still around and living in ****field, as the replacements called it when we played with them !, we dont really see much of each other now so as far as a reunion goes i'm not holding my breath but who knows? i'm still playing my johnny thunders les paul T.V. and pouting with attitude, i aint lost it, off to see the only ones in manchester next week so if peter perret can still stand up maybe theres hope for us all. see ya

pinhead
20-05-2007, 14:29
cheers for the comments sweetcheeks and pinhead(were you also known as "crob" or summat?) think i remember you, ginger bass player? anyway yeah we are all still around and living in ****field, as the replacements called it when we played with them !, we dont really see much of each other now so as far as a reunion goes i'm not holding my breath but who knows? i'm still playing my johnny thunders les paul T.V. and pouting with attitude, i aint lost it, off to see the only ones in manchester next week so if peter perret can still stand up maybe theres hope for us all. see ya

Hi rob,
Yes thats me mate, was still playing until a couple of years ago. Still got the Gibson Thunderbird and Fender Jazz. I saw Tommy play a few weeks ago, hes still at it! Pity you guys can't do a one off, played LAMF last week and it brought back memories of you guys. I see Tim in town from time to time and he reckons that you hardly see each other. He gets a mention in the new Strummer book. Does your Ian still play? Are you in a band or like me do you pout to the mirror? I plan to go to Nottingham to see the Only Ones on the 5th June.
Cheers
Pinhead

Norbert
25-05-2007, 13:22
There's a site by local photographer Karl Lang that covers some bands from this era: http://www.karllang.co.uk/

nortonlees
25-06-2007, 12:21
Hi Paul - long time etc! You're my all-time hero - remember the top rank final where your guys came 3rd, my band (Silent Runnng) 2nd and Sharp ruddy Cuts came 1st? You were so ****** off on our behalf you threw your "bronze" disk across the stage! They were fun, of course, but one judge apparently gave them 10/10 for "originality" and they played a set of covers. Our set was all originals.. The money & prestige meant nowt, of course, but being seen as less musical value than the Sharp Cuts - I nearly topped myself ;)

Does anyone have any MP3s of any bands from this time? Such as - Rough Copy, Silent Running, Alice Goes Pop, Ton Ton Macoute, Mrs Beech & The Heretics, YahBoo, The Mirror Crack'd, Toy Shop, Maison Rouge, Tsi-Tsa.

Weird - I've been going through my old cassettes, droppnig the stuff I remember fondly onto computer, currently rippng a Ton Ton Macoute demo "worlds of sand" and idly decided to google for them, hence this thread. I've got shed loads of archive stuff from my "glory days" with Dig Vis Drill, Red Zoo , SIlent Running etc, demos of mirror crackd, maison rouge & loads of singles by bands like vision, toyshop - I used to buy them in charity shops for 10p, just cos they came from Sheffield.

Would love to do a CD or website of mp3s, but there's always copyright to consider I suppose.

Fascinating thread this - so many fond memories!

mickc
25-06-2007, 12:26
Hi nortonlees

Have you checked out melthebels site? I'm sure he'd be happy to host the mp3s if some sort of permission could be obtained
http://sheffieldmusic.multiply.com/

paulcrofts
25-06-2007, 23:09
[QUOTE=nortonlees;2374307]Hi Paul - long time etc! You're my all-time hero - remember the top rank final where your guys came 3rd, my band (Silent Runnng) 2nd and Sharp ruddy Cuts came 1st? You were so ****** off on our behalf you threw your "bronze" disk across the stage!

Hi Nick. Wrong on three counts
Actually we didn't come third, although i can't remember who did; it was the judges enclosure not the stage; and Norton Lees is someone else. As you well know. Imposter! Too much repetitive guitar noodling is obviously bad for you.
But you're right about the result. Silent Running were far and away the best band in the contest and should have won.

As for Mp3's. what have you got? I'd particularly like to hear all the Silent Running stuff. I'll have to come to the next Betty Black gig and have a chat about it.

Paul

s.p.o.t.
26-06-2007, 11:24
i remember it well ish.......my band came 3rd....the zyclones...
it was one of the dougie bros who i think threw the disc.....

Vasquez Rich
26-06-2007, 15:03
I remember that battle of the bands thing... you woz all robbed! I remember Silent Running with those tiny tiny Wasp synth things and Tina Splash with her keyboard on an ironing board (hehehehe)... and borrowing my old old HH amp I think as well. Is my memory right there Paul?

Richard

paulcrofts
26-06-2007, 23:01
I remember that battle of the bands thing... you woz all robbed! I remember Silent Running with those tiny tiny Wasp synth things and Tina Splash with her keyboard on an ironing board (hehehehe)... and borrowing my old old HH amp I think as well. Is my memory right there Paul?

Richard

Er, not quite. Silent running didn't have a Wasp (I think - NIck might correct me on that), and the amp i borrowed was Simon's AC30, but it WAS an ironing board. And a second hand one at that. Didn't have enough money for the split-level Rick Wakeman signature model ironing board.

mikey
27-06-2007, 06:46
I thought the final was at the City Hall, or am I thinking of another year? what year was it 82????

Sharp Cuts
Zyclones
Silent Running
Snap 14

I remember them all

algenon
27-06-2007, 10:12
I used to work with the keyboardist out of person to person, Dave Clayton, He went on to be in simply red and produced some albums for other groups Depeche Mode being one of them.

paulcrofts
28-06-2007, 20:29
Hi Mikey,

the City Hall thing was the final of the Limit Club battle of the bands, which i think was won by a band called Bamboo.

nortonlees
30-06-2007, 12:25
Norton Lees is someone else.
As for Mp3's. what have you got?

I live in Norton lees - he's very accomodating. I do his website as well (www.nortonlees.com - double bass for hire ;)

What haven't I got? I'm a music archivist and never threw anything away. I recently made contact with Elaine from my Red Zoo days & have started assembling our demos/45s etc - even found 3 acetates - which won't mean a lot to any youngsters out there ;)

BTW, we DID have a wasp - Dale played it. Since you took over guitar in the band when I left, I'd have thought you'd rememebr that ;)

Vasquez Rich
01-07-2007, 19:12
BTW, we DID have a wasp - Dale played it. Since you took over guitar in the band when I left, I'd have thought you'd rememebr that ;)

Yayyy Wasp, see I knew my memory wasn't that faulty.

paulcrofts
01-07-2007, 22:02
[QUOTE=nortonlees;2393419]I'm a music archivist and never threw anything away.

I remember your house from a party some years ago, and unless your TV appearance prompted a change of lifestyle, i can't see why you needed to add the music archivist bit to that sentence.

I don't remember Dale having a Wasp. I think he must have sold it (hang on while i get my anorak here) to buy his Sequential Circuits Pro One.

paulcrofts
01-07-2007, 22:05
Hang on!
Sudden flash of memory.

He did have a Wasp! and one of those Spider sequencer things they made to go with 'em.

Jesus. Memory problems at 45. I blame Joshua Tetley.

nortonlees
02-07-2007, 12:52
[QUOTE=nortonlees;2393419]I remember your house from a party some years ago, and unless your TV appearance prompted a change of lifestyle,

Which it didn't - I hid all the good stuff in the attic ;)

foxwood
02-09-2007, 20:07
hi all, just been reading thru all the threads dating back to 2003 (wow, fascinating reading)

does anyone remember a band called 'dragonfly' me and my mates used to travel all over to see them, i think we went in just about every wmc in sheffield.
from what i can remember the theme was a toy shop. the singer was the 'knave of hearts' the drummer was a 'robot' bass player was a 'jack in a box' keyboard was a 'toy soldier' and guitarist was a 'action man'

other great bands i remember from that era 'radiation' einstein ago-go (pure class):thumbsup:

zaviabrydon
19-11-2007, 11:27
ha this is weird...i came on looking for stuff on radiation to show my boyfriend, as the bass player(Alec)is my dad, and the drummer(Chris) is my uncle. I must point out that my dad also played with jimmy, and that he's back here in S.A. and doing well, after moving back to sheffield for 12 years. My uncle Chris is living in Spain now, and the other Broadhead brother, Andrew is still living in Woodseats.

I CAME LOOKING ON THE NET FOR INFO AFTER A STRANGE INCIDENT, i had yesterday, relating to 'Radiation' (i never considered looking on the net before).
Anyway, i read with interest your post, and would like to pass on a friendly eello, to Chris and Al. Used to share a flat with Chris (for many years, he moved out to buy his first house in Woodseats) after the band split up (it was always put down to me, that we split). Pleased to here Al is doing OK back in South Africa, i had an idea he might have moved back, especially after getting connected to a lady from there, but i had no idea Chris had moved to Spain, even tho he always talked about it all his young life. Would be interested to no, what happend to Colin, especially after his time in SA, if you have any info.
- I see Dave the old guitarest, from time to time; he still works out of his own studio in town, with Steven from ABC.
Adrian.
P.S.
Sounds like Dave and I are the only two left in town, even tho, i was never a local lad, as such! (not like the others).

P.P.S You come across Colin's kid, he had with shell? z

Malc H
20-11-2007, 20:46
Back to 2003 ???Anybody remember some good groups who played the Arundel, the Non Pots, the Rads, the Effingham, groups like the Wolves, The Fortunes...........

scargill
08-12-2009, 20:15

Yeah, bet she's never heard that one before!

Rich-shef
09-12-2009, 13:55
I read a fantastic book that had a lot about the sheffield seen in the 80's - rip it up and start again i think it's called, I really recommend it

redshadow
09-12-2009, 16:50
The Ant Hill Mob also were in the Battle of the Bands - I have some slides somewhere of a reasonable quality

Also anyone remember a great underground duo called "All Tomorrows' Parties" ? They wrote some great lyrics...

Rob (DINGO)
09-12-2009, 18:51
Snap 14 keyboard on a ironing board now threes a blast from the past Dingo "Mrs Beech And The Heretic's"to reply to mikey from Jan 2003. Snap 14 split up around the middle of 84. I played guitar and joined The Touch for the next year, and then sod all afterwards. Tina the keyboard player didn't join another band. Nick the drummer was in The Warhols for a while - don't what he's doing now. James the singer/bassist went on to be in Skin, then Don Valley and the Rotherhides(under the pseudonym Norton Lees) and is currently in Chicken Legs Weaver, who I haven't seen, but by all accounts are very good.

Rob (DINGO)
09-12-2009, 18:58
Hi All checkout www.tourdares.co.uk/mrsbeechandtheheretics "Mrs Beech And The Heritic's" 23 free downloadable mp3s Dingo "Mrs Beech)Hi Paul - long time etc! You're my all-time hero - remember the top rank final where your guys came 3rd, my band (Silent Runnng) 2nd and Sharp ruddy Cuts came 1st? You were so ****** off on our behalf you threw your "bronze" disk across the stage! They were fun, of course, but one judge apparently gave them 10/10 for "originality" and they played a set of covers. Our set was all originals.. The money & prestige meant nowt, of course, but being seen as less musical value than the Sharp Cuts - I nearly topped myself ;)

Weird - I've been going through my old cassettes, droppnig the stuff I remember fondly onto computer, currently rippng a Ton Ton Macoute demo "worlds of sand" and idly decided to google for them, hence this thread. I've got shed loads of archive stuff from my "glory days" with Dig Vis Drill, Red Zoo , SIlent Running etc, demos of mirror crackd, maison rouge & loads of singles by bands like vision, toyshop - I used to buy them in charity shops for 10p, just cos they came from Sheffield.

Would love to do a CD or website of mp3s, but there's always copyright to consider I suppose.

Rob (DINGO)
09-12-2009, 19:00
www.myspace.com/tsitsamusic Tsi-TsaHi Paul - long time etc! You're my all-time hero - remember the top rank final where your guys came 3rd, my band (Silent Runnng) 2nd and Sharp ruddy Cuts came 1st? You were so ****** off on our behalf you threw your "bronze" disk across the stage! They were fun, of course, but one judge apparently gave them 10/10 for "originality" and they played a set of covers. Our set was all originals.. The money & prestige meant nowt, of course, but being seen as less musical value than the Sharp Cuts - I nearly topped myself ;)

loz3589
28-05-2010, 22:58
I CAME LOOKING ON THE NET FOR INFO AFTER A STRANGE INCIDENT, i had yesterday, relating to 'Radiation' (i never considered looking on the net before).
Anyway, i read with interest your post, and would like to pass on a friendly eello, to Chris and Al. Used to share a flat with Chris (for many years, he moved out to buy his first house in Woodseats) after the band split up (it was always put down to me, that we split). Pleased to here Al is doing OK back in South Africa, i had an idea he might have moved back, especially after getting connected to a lady from there, but i had no idea Chris had moved to Spain, even tho he always talked about it all his young life. Would be interested to no, what happend to Colin, especially after his time in SA, if you have any info.
- I see Dave the old guitarest, from time to time; he still works out of his own studio in town, with Steven from ABC.
Adrian.
P.S.
Sounds like Dave and I are the only two left in town, even tho, i was never a local lad, as such! (not like the others).

P.P.S You come across Colin's kid, he had with shell? z

Hi there
I know its quite a while since your post on here about Radiation....i was just searching the net because i was brought up around the sheffield club circuit. My Dad was an entertainment manager for sheffield groups and im sure he may have managed Radiation...his name was Bill Durrant from Mano Entertainments ...would be great to hear from anyone who remembers him

Bennyboy76
29-05-2010, 09:08
Anyone remember Various Vegetables?

darylslinn
29-05-2010, 10:13
I still rave about Cabaret voltaire even now as the greatest Sheffield band never to hit the Top 40.

Klink
15-07-2010, 05:34
Paul Klein, ex of Sheffield duo The Toy Shop here (1st winners of Battle of the Bands back in '82). Saw our name in here a couple of times and thought I'd say 'hello' and let everyone know I'm still rocking! Had an album out under the band name 'Psykik Volts' a couple of years on UK label Damaged Goods (see myspace.com/psykikvolts for details) even though I've lived in Australia for the last 8 years with my wife Suzanne.

Great to catch up on the past but they say nostalgia's not what it used to be:rolleyes:!

Rob (DINGO)
18-07-2010, 23:19
Anyone go see Bill Murrey & The Boys From Bury? All from Sheffield and the leader singer wasn't called Bill Murrey 8) weird They Pinched our Sax Player Ian said he had a better laugh with them llol :)

Rob (DINGO)
18-07-2010, 23:22
Paul Klein, ex of Sheffield duo The Toy Shop here (1st winners of Battle of the Bands back in '82). Saw our name in here a couple of times and thought I'd say 'hello' and let everyone know I'm still rocking! Had an album out under the band name 'Psykik Volts' a couple of years on UK label Damaged Goods (see myspace.com/psykikvolts for details) even though I've lived in Australia for the last 8 years with my wife Suzanne.

Great to catch up on the past but they say nostalgia's not what it used to be:rolleyes:!
Hiya Paul you old Buzzard how the hell are you Dingo (Tsi-Tsa, Mr's Beech) xx

Rob (DINGO)
18-07-2010, 23:32

are you on Facebook Paul ? all the casualty's from Battle of The Bands 1982 are on it lol :)

Rob (DINGO)
18-07-2010, 23:34

are you still in contact with Phill (It Was Phill other half ov Toy Shop) ?

Rob (DINGO)
18-07-2010, 23:35
I still rave about Cabaret voltaire even now as the greatest Sheffield band never to hit the Top 40.

Acid God's Awesome Band ! the fathers ov electronica :)

Klink
19-07-2010, 02:45
Hi Dingo, I'm good thanks (for my age anyway:hihi:) - how are you?

I caught up with Phil for my wedding in '92 but unfortunately lost contact with him again after then. I'm kind of on Facebook but haven't really got into it so my page is really, really basic. Who else is on there?

Do you know I always found it strange that the only person that ever got anywhere (as far as I'm aware anyway) from that early 80's Sheffield scene was the 'weed in tweed' (as Vic Reeves named him) Jarvis Cocker. I could never see what all the fuss was about personally though with Pulp and thought that many of us were more talented. Ah well, such is life eh?

How's Sheffield nowadays? We moved south in '87 then out to Australia (first Perth now Melbourne) in 2002 so not seen Sheffield for a long time now.

Rob (DINGO)
19-07-2010, 08:07
Hi Paul , Good to hear from you after so many years, Spot on about the Weed In Tweed .. We were Contenders. Why Toy Shop never made it Big time I'll never know ! Sheffield's the same old same old. I moved away a couple of times but always end up back here, It's a pity you've lost contact with Phill he was one of my Favourite Sheffield Muso's along with your good self . Take Care Dingo xx

Janet Olsen
19-07-2010, 12:39
Hi Loz 3589
I remember your dad Bill Durrant but this relates to when he managed the Lizards or Square Circles. More than likely if you are his son its probably you I remember if your name is the same as your dads?? Now I have your attention?

Klink
20-07-2010, 00:45
Dingo, got your PM but apparently I can't reply until I've had at least 5 posts on here. Will let you know if I ever catch up with Phil. All the best, Paul.

BILLY.D
19-01-2011, 12:09
Hi Janet:
I have just joined S.F, thanks to my sister Loz, she told me there were posts about a band i used to play with," Square Circles " Are you the Janet that used to live on Stockarth Lane near Middlewood Tavern.

Janet Olsen
21-01-2011, 09:43
Hi Bill
Yes thats me. Have been chatting to Phil via email & have so many memories of all the good times we had together. As you can see I now live in Oz. Jean recently visited & we had a ball. Trouble is we are now in our 60's but think we are still 16. Would love to talk more can you PM yet? I sent you a personal one yesterday. Get back to me soon please
Would love tp hear more & have a funny story to tell you.
Great to have made contact.

ChrisOffbeat
01-02-2011, 14:16
Offbeat - Sheffield's legendary leftfield indie night

* eternally DIY. unashamedly obsessive. defiantly independent. *

*~* PULP SPECIAL! *~*

Friday 18th February 2011
@ Raynor Lounge, Sheffield Uni SU (off Bar One)
9pm-1am
3.00 on the door
including. free lollipops and stickers, plus Pulp maps of Sheffield and free Jarvis masks for the first 20 people in!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=101064513303847

Playing 15-20 Pulp tracks plus the usual Offbeat mix of classic and current leftfield indie, pop-punk, C86, new indiepop underground and lo-fi sounds from the likes of...

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Pavement - Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Interpol - Les Savy Fav - Belle and Sebastian - National - Arcade Fire - Smiths - Drums - Los Campesinos! - Slow Club - My Bloody Valentine - Camera Obscura - Animal Collective - Pixies - Johnny Foreigner - Bright Eyes - Shins - Future Of The Left - Joy Division - British Sea Power - Half Man Half Biscuit - Sonic Youth - Pulp - Mclusky - Cure - Polyphonic Spree - Ballboy - Buzzcocks - Metronomy - Of Montreal - Long Blondes - Allo Darlin' - Wedding Present - Blood Red Shoes - Hefner - Go! Team - Dead Kennedys - Rilo Kiley - Fall - Field Mice - Kenickie - Sleater Kinney - Futureheads - REM - Postal Service - Bearsuit - Hidden Cameras - Nirvana - Pastels - Deerhunter - Morrissey - White Stripes - Elastica - Super Furry Animals - Bis - Ash - Talulah Gosh - At the Drive-in - Pipettes - Helen Love - Idlewild - The School - Jesus and Mary Chain - Urusei Yatsura - Undertones - Shop Assistants - Eels... and many more

* Spotified playlists at http://open.spotify.com/user/chrisoffbeat/

* more information and admission details for non-students, at
http://www.offbeatsheffield.com
http://shef.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2432047470
http://www.offbeat.group.shef.ac.uk/scan/opos185.gif

okismoki
01-02-2011, 18:51
3 stick out in my mind,Haze,Phoenix Rising and Chinawhite.

Phil Aychio
15-03-2011, 01:36
OK folks, firstly:

I'm looking for the demo of old Sheffield band MANIA from the early 80s. Has anyone got it and what happened to them?

Secondly:

That's really unfortunate to have that banner ad of the navy after what happened to HMS Sheffield.

Thirdly:

I was guitarist in Durham's BILE DUCTS and we may be getting back together. However I also have a projected solo career. If you like sick humour, come to myspace.com/philbileducts

CHEERS!

Vigilanty53
12-05-2011, 15:40
[QUOTE=CathS;390942]Does anyone remember a band called Eat don't Hula. Vaguely remember meeting the lead singer when i was in my teens but never actually heard them play.

Cath :cool:Hi there I was the manager of eat don't hula I discovered them in the pheasant and took them to dingwells and campden town in London we also played gigs in the warncliffe and did radio interviews on Hallam
Regards
CHRIS

Vigilanty53
12-05-2011, 15:40
Hi there I was the manager of eat don't hula I discovered them in the pheasant and took them to dingwells and campden town in London we also played gigs in the warncliffe and did radio interviews on Hallam
Regards
CHRIS

Vigilanty53
12-05-2011, 15:51
Hi there I was the manager of eat don't hula I discovered them in the pheasant and took them to dingwells and campden town in London we also played gigs in the warncliffe and did radio interviews on Hallam
Regards
CHRIS