K1, p1, k1 - 3 out of 1?

Well, while waiting for my addi turbo i decided to start in the meantime on a baby hat and the 2nd row brings new confusion for me...

k1,p1,k1, all into next stitch - this will be referred to as 3 out of 1

Now i'm about to do some research on this as i must say im abit confused the only thing i can think it means is like do the stiches without moving it off the needle til you've done the last k1 :confused: honestly i haven't a clue! Anyone come across this before? :help: why do i pick hard patterns?! :rolleyes:

Well, while waiting for my addi turbo i decided to start in the meantime on a baby hat and the 2nd row brings new confusion for me...

k1,p1,k1, all into next stitch - this will be referred to as 3 out of 1

Now i'm about to do some research on this as i must say im abit confused the only thing i can think it means is like do the stiches without moving it off the needle til you've done the last k1 :confused: honestly i haven't a clue! Anyone come across this before? :help: why do i pick hard patterns?! :rolleyes:

I've come across something similar, but not that particular instruction. I think it does mean to do the k1, p1, k1 into the same stitch before slipping it off the needle, but I'd need to check to make sure.

I'll have a search and also cast on a few stitches to see what it looks like.

Cheers Hecate, a quick google hasnt turned up much but i'm about to go through recommended links.

Right, just done a quick search, and it seems that this is referred to as 'blackberry stitch'. It makes a little mini-bobble on the fabric. From what I can see, it's often followed by p3 tog, so the instruction goes:

*k1, p1, k1 into next stitch, p3 tog* rep to end.

The p3 tog seems to be taking into account the fact that the k1, p1, k1 into the next stitch is essentially an increase, which increases the stitch count by 3. The p3 tog thus keeps the stitch count constant.

If your pattern doesn't have a p3 tog (or a k3 tog), you'll end up with 3x the number of stitches you started off with by the end of the row.

Wow, you're good ;) yep it has p3tog before and after it (sorry i didn't realise that would be important).

Im still not sure i understand what im doing with the k1, p1, k1 all into next stitch (3 into 1) bit though, especially if it makes 3 stitches :confused: but i can go search for 'blackberry stitch'.

Edit: btw this is the pattern, the cardi i want to do isn't the one in this pic, its the same but with a rounded neck instead of the collar. Thats the hat though.

I've just cast on a few stitches. Here's how I did the stitch:

Insert needle knit-wise into stitch and knit.

Instead of slipping the stitch off the needle, bring the yarn to the front of the work, between the needles, just as you would do when you are going to purl the next stitch.

Insert the needle purl-wise into the same stitch and purl.

Instead of slipping the stitch off the needle, bring the yarn to the back of the work, between the needles, just as you would do when you are going to knit the next stitch.

Insert the needle knit-wise into the same stitch and knit.

Slip the stitch off the needle.

So, you've done three stitches into the one stitch. There should be three loops on the right-hand needle.

I don't know if that's the 'official' way of doing it, but it's the only way I can see it working.

Let me know what you find.

The stitch is apparently called 'bramble stitch', not 'blackberry stitch'. D'oh. See, I did say that I hadn't come across it before... :)

Thanx for that, and going to the trouble of casting on...honestly i don't know what i'd do without you and this group!!

I've had a little go (cast on using some other needles and yarn) and i think i've got it, but it looked abit 'messy', did yours look messy at all?

Thanx for that, and going to the trouble of casting on...honestly i don't know what i'd do without you and this group!!

I've had a little go (cast on using some other needles and yarn) and i think i've got it, but it looked abit 'messy', did yours look messy at all?

No, not really. It looked like a little cluster of three bumps, all huddled up together.

Is the following row just a plain purl or knit row?

just had a go on the actual thing and yeah it looks ok actually. i don't like doing p3tog, too tight! following row is a purl

just had a go on the actual thing and yeah it looks ok actually. i don't like doing p3tog, too tight! following row is a purl

Right, I see. So the bramble stitch is worked on the front, and then the purl flattens out the reverse. It's a bit like working Aran or lace; all the decorative stuff is just on the front.

I agree, the p3 tog is a bit on the tight side.

It's a nice stitch, it just takes a little getting used to.