Sign in to follow this  

Laptop Query

Does anyone elses laptop get very hot i a short space of time?

Mine seems to get real hot real quick... although not ever owning a laptop before I can't be so sure how quick is quick.

Anyone else???

what spec is it? high spec machines generate lots of heat..

The reason they are called notebooks and not laptops is cos of some american trying to sue cos he burnt himself... Muppett!

This thing I am using gets insainly hot!

Fortunately I use it on a desk or some other surface.

However I can feel it warming up and when I pick the thing up to put it away the desk is very hot.

I see why they are now calling them notebooks as opposed to laptop. When I was looking for one, I actually wanted to use it on mi lap while watching some telly.

Suppose that's out of the question now then eh.:rolleyes:

OK.... I just wanted to check (this being my first laptop n all that).

How long should a decent battery last in a laptop if fully charged then switched on right through to battery fully used up.

Mine lasts about 2 3/4 hrs max from full to completely empty.

However it takes about 5 hrs + to charge up fully. Is this right or is my battery cack?:(

spec makes a huge difference, but that sounds like a pretty good bat length to me. Can I recommen, http://www.whatlaptop.co.uk for more detailed answers.

SOund slike an OK battery to me!

The main thing is to follow all the instructions for the 'care and feeding' of batteries.

the newer ones aren't as pernickety as the old NiCd used to be, but they still have their moments.

Unless your destructions say otherwise....

It's always good to totally cycle your batteries every so often - flatten them down and then recharge to full capacity.

Older batteries had 'memories' that meant that unless you took care they could get in to a state where the battery never took full charge and ended up half charged all the time. This usually happened if people either charged when the battery was half full anyway, or didn't do a full charging time.

Less of an issue today, but watch it.

Joe

The laptop is new (3 weeks old ish) and up to now I've always let it run completely out before recharging.

Maybe it's because I'm so used to my Mobile Phone (I know not a good comparison), but it charges in 1 hours and last 1 week :o

What model of laptop is it? Some laptops are made to have low power consumption and some are put together for more power period. For example the IBM's etc. with Centrino will run longer and cooler than the big Dell 8100's. My iBook will go for 5 hours on the battery and not heat up noticeably or run fans at all.

Your battery life sounds fine, particularly if your laptop runs hot it is probably not an energy efficient one which means your battery life will be even shorter.

I recently bought a notebook from Rock direct.

http://www.rockdirect.com/notebooks/quaddradtspro2.htm

It gets stupidly hot, especially the power supply. I have to use on of them old women trays with a cushion fastened to the bottom of it. I sometimes want to leave it running when i am out but i get far to concerned about the heat it makes.