Any local spinners?

Hi,

I've just got into knitting after many failed attempts to learn when I was younger, this time it's just clicked lol.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any local craftspeople who spin their own wool?

I remember a lady coming into our school years (and years...) ago and demonstrating how to spin wool, and I found it really interesting.

Congratulations on getting into knitting. Make sure you post links to some photos once you start working on something :) .

Are you interested in buying hand-spun yarn locally, or do you want to get into spinning yourself?

I haven't come across any local spinners, though I'm sure there are some. I'll have a dig around and see what I can find. I've just started getting interested in this myself; I'd love to have a go at spinning, and at hand-painting yarn too.

I have a fledgling section on spinning in the recommended links section (scroll down to the bottom post). Not much there at the minute, but I will be adding to it soon.

In the mean time, can I recommend that you try to get hold of a copy of Spin Off? It's published by Interweave Press, the folk who publish probably the best knitting magazine out there, Interweave Knits. It's an excellent magazine, but it can be tricky to get hold of; I've only ever seen it in Borders.

Hiya,

I have been lurking in here the past few evenings, and the links section is great :)

I started to knit whilst on holiday last week, all my family are 'crafty' and i'd not taken any of my usual things with me (jewellery making etc) and wandered into a knitting shop....

Anyhow, I made a small bag for my ipod whilst i was away, and i'm half way through a nice chunky scarf now, using Sirdar denim ultra, once I start something I tend to get stuck in lol.

Dying your own wool sounds like good messy fun :)

Whilst I was away I bought some Tagliatelli in Dusk I don't know what I'll do with it yet - i've not actually followed a pattern as yet, as I tend to just see what happens :)

Socks look interesting, but a bit scary lol.

I do jewellery making too :) . I'm into bead weaving with seed beads and delicas, though I'm contemplating starting a City & Guilds Jewellery course come September. I quite fancy a bit of soldering and enameling.

I think it was the Tagliatelli I used for a throw a made the Christmas before last. It's from the Colinette Toast and Marmalade book anyway.

If you want to start using patterns, I'd recommend getting the first Stich n Bitch book. As well as instructions for the basics like increasing, decreasing and seaming, there's also a section of patterns for beginners. I used the book to remind me how to knit after many years of not doing any at all.

As for the socks; you must have a go :D . If you buy some Regia sock wool from McA Direct, you get a free pattern for a basic stocking stitch sock. Get the 6-ply stuff first, as it's a lot easier to work with than the thinner four-ply. Be warned though, it's very addicitive...

Hehe,

i've just started reading stitch n bitch, not got to the patterns yet though.

As for beading, I just treat myself to a large beading loom, not put it together yet though, as I don't want to start another project.

Most of the jewellery i've done has been Wire work,bracelets mainly like this one and this is one I used with some wool (can't remember the name) Peacock Weave

I used to do a lot of cross stitch, but find it annoyingly time consuming switching back and forth between colours.

I had a bead loom for Christmas last year, though it's only a litle one. I must admit that I haven't really mastered it yet, as I'm more used to doing needle weaving. I've made several bracelets, amulet purses and needle holders, though they've all been given away as presents :( . I really should start making things for myself. Now I've got the digital camera, I can at least start keeping a record of what I make. Maybe I should recall all the presents I've given over the last few years and have a massive photo-taking session :hihi: .

I've never done wire work, but looking at that jingles bracelet, I really should give it a go.

I used to do loads of cross stitch, though I haven't done much of late. I've been getting into more freestyle embroidery and machine embroidery, which by definition is much less structured. It's a bit more hit and miss though, at least some of mine is...

Hi beansforyou, I am a local spinner. What are you interested in, handspun wool for knitting, watching people spin or having a go yourself?

Hi beansforyou, I am a local spinner. What are you interested in, handspun wool for knitting, watching people spin or having a go yourself?

Hello woolspinster, and welcome to the knitting group :wave: . Forgive me jumping in before beansforyou has had a chance to answer, but I've just started to become interested in spinning myself. I've still to do more than read about it and investigate various links on the internet, though.

I'd be really interested in hearing about the kind of work you do. Do you work from the raw fleece? What sort of fibre do you work with? What would be the best fibre for a beginner to start with? Do you know of any spinning courses?

Please excuse so many questions, but it's a fascinating subject :) .

Hi Hecate,

Yes, I work from the raw fleece most of the time, if it is quite clean it will pretty much spin straight from the bag without any preparation. At the moment I mostly use Jacobs sheep, Zwartbles ( rare breed dutch sheep) Alpaca and Angora as I have one or two Angora rabbits. I have also done a few slightly unusual fibres such as Bamboo, Soya Bean Fibre, Cat and Dog Hair and Camel.

Most people start with Merino but any clean sheeps fleece with a decent staple ( fibre length) would do as well. If you are wanting to learn it may be worth you trying first with a drop spindle. These can be bought quite cheaply but a cd on a knitting needle would do just as well! Yes there are several spinning courses around depending on how much you want to pay. I learnt with the Arkwright Spinsters who meet at Cromford near Matlock. My mum, dad, brother and little sister pretty much taught themselves.

Feel free to ask any more questions and I will answer as best I can.

Thanks woolspinster. I've often wondered about Angora yarn. Do you obtain the raw fibre by combing the rabbits? It must take a while to build up a sufficient amount to spin from if so. I've heard of fibre spun from cat and dog fur before too, though I don't think my allergies would be very appreciative of the end result (though it would give me something to do with all the fur my cats shed at this time of year :) ).

I wonder if you could recommend a source of Merino fibre from which to start spinning, roughly how much I would need and an aproximate price? I would like to make a start by using a drop spindle.

Do you sell the fibre you spin? I'd be really interested in seeing the range you produce if so.

The mention of Cromford brought back a few memories; I've been on a few trips to the mill in the past, though I think the last one was a good ten or more years ago.

I comb the Angoras when they moult every three months but do occasionally clip them in the summer. It doesn't really take long to get a good amount but one of mine is a German Angora which are larger than the average rabbit and can produce up to 1kg a year.

Texere Yarns at Bradford ( I think you have them in your links section) supply merino in many colours. You would not need much, about 100g would last for a while. I think Texere's merino is about 2.50 for 100g There is also a quite local supplier ( you might have to give me a minute to find the name) but if you don't mind a drive out The Threshing Barn at Leek in Staffordshire is excellent for crafts of pretty much any kind and the owner is very friendly and helpful.

Yes I sell small amounts of the spun fibre, at the moment it is pretty much what I mentioned previously but if you want anything specific PM me.

If you would like to pay a visit to Cromford the Spinsters are there on the third Sunday of every month ( Gothic Wharf building on the end of the canal) and you are quite welcome to look around and ask questions.

Thanks for the information, Woolspinster. I'm definitely overdue a return trip to Cromford, so I reckon that will be one of my summer days out, as well as a trip to Leek.

I'll check out the Texere Yarns website too. Thanks for the recommendations.