Bamboo Knitting Needles

Specifically DPNs. Just a quick note to recommend the Takumi Clover brand. I bought a set of five 4 mm ones recently, and they're much better than the others I've tried before; very smooth and no problems at all with rough tips.

They're a little more expensive than some other brands (about £1 more on average, I'd say), but they're really worth paying that little bit extra.

Now, if someone would just buy me one of these to keep them in, I'd be really happy.

Specifically DPNs. Just a quick note to recommend the Takumi Clover brand. I bought a set of five 4 mm ones recently, and they're much better than the others I've tried before; very smooth and no problems at all with rough tips.

They're a little more expensive than some other brands (about £1 more on average, I'd say), but they're really worth paying that little bit extra.

Now, if someone would just buy me one of these to keep them in, I'd be really happy.

Id heard really good things about the Clovers too - and not to touch Brittany:?

LisaHxxx

Id heard really good things about the Clovers too - and not to touch Brittany:?

LisaHxxx

Really? I hadn't heard about the Brittany ones having a less than stellar reputation. I bought a pair of 20 mm ones a good few months ago to knit a chunky scarf, as I couldn't stand the idea of using the plastic ones (too slippy). I thought they were fine, if a little heavy. Then again, they were made of wood and 20 mm...

The wood are OK its the bamboo thats not - so Ive eard but could be wrong:D

LisaH xxx

I thought the Brittany bamboo DPNs only came in a really small length, but I've just looked on the Web of Wool website and found that they go up to 7 inches. I have some of their cable needles, which are rather nice to work with, but again they're wood.

Just checked again, and it's the 2 - 2.75 mm DPNs which come in only the 5 inch length. Far too short. The Clovers are 8 inches.

I think I'll stick to the Clover DPNs. They seems to have a softer sheen to them too, which makes the stitches glide on the needles without being too sticky.

I can't abide bamboo dpn's - the noise they make when they clck together sets my teeth on edge. I know a few people on the Ange Yarns forum have had Brittany bamboo dpn's snap on them, so I don't even feel like trying them.

Hello AmelieB, and welcome to the knitting group :) .

I think I must be a bit strange, because I really like the sound that the bamboo DPNs make when they click together; it has a comforting ring to it. The 4 mm Clover DPNs make a wonderful rich, resonant sound when they click, presumably by virtue of being a little more dense.

A general point about the bamboo DPNs vs others. I started knitting the Thuja socks on a set of aluminium needles, but I really couldn't get the hang of them. I found them heavy, slippy and clanky; the stitches kept slipping all over the place. I think the lightness of bamboo needles is the main reason I like them.

Having said that, I wouldn't say no to a pair of those lovely hand-made glass needles, though they'd probably sit on my bookcase where I could admire them, rather than get any serious use.

I like slippy needles, means I can knit faster!

I ordered the pattern for my lead or follow scarf and a pair of 3.75mm clover bamboo needles yesterday morning from Get Knitted and they came today!!:o

I was very impressed with the speed of that delivery (almost as quick as my second baby!!)

No I'm losing the thread - I have to wait for the yarn to come before I can have a play with my bamboo needles.:(

Are these the ones you were praising Hecate?

If so I will let you know how I get on with them, no on second thoughts I'll let you know what I think regardless!:)

Yes, that's the brand I used, though mine are the 4 mm DPNs. Actually, I do have some 6 mm Clover straight needles too, though I haven't used them for a while.

Get Knitted are always very speedy with their delivery. I order from them frequently and I've never had to wait more than two days for the parcel to arrive.

Ive always had fantastic service from Get Knitted - she often includes free pens and lollies too:D The Clovers are nice bamboo needles;)

LisaH xxx

LOL I've got enough Get Knitted pens to fill one of the little sections in my desk drawer. They're a constant reminder of how much I spend on yarn :hihi: .