Has anybody tried Atkins diet?

im thinking of trying the atkins diet, was wondering if anyone knew exactly what you can eat?

er, don't do it!!!

there's a thread about it already ;)

I'll find it for you

My sister does it every now and again, she loses about 1 stone in 6 weeks.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54190

and puts it all back on again Nick?

The sports nutrition expert I know says this diet reduces your ability to store water, so you aren't losing fat, you're losing water.

This would explain why the people I know who've tried it look as though they have aged ten years along the way, as they are far more wrinkled and dried out from dehydration

thanks for the help, ill check those out:thumbsup:

its not the safest way to diet, it cuts out your carbs, which forces your body to use fat as an energy source, then when you will lose weight, if not controlled properly once your body has depleted all of its fat stores, it will use protien as a energy source, that basicaly means ur body will break down its own muscles.

it used correctly it an ok diet, not safe but ok

but its very tempting to stick to a diet that works, then it becomes dangerous

in my opinion, you should never completly cut carbs out of your normal diet, its to dangerous

you can however take some good idea's from the diet tho namely managing your carb and sugar intake to be significantly less then what your exerting if you are working out.

I did the Atkins diet when I was at my peak of lardiness, I was a 38" waist and weighed 15stone. I did the atkins and lost alot of weight in a short space of time however it left me quite weak and dizzy one a couple of occassions.

If you have alot of excess fat, then you DO want to be using it as an energy store in order to rid yourself of it, but do not crash diet like the atkins book tell you to do, it effected me very badly.

Its so easy to have an opinion on this without reading the book. Medical opinions seem divided.

3 years ago i read the book cover to cover and decided i'd like to try it. I dropped from 15 and half stone to 12 and a half stone in under a year - at a comfortable and stable rate of weight loss and experienced no unpleasant effects.

Since then, I have continued to manage my carb intake according to the books "lifetime maintenance" plan and the weight has stayed off - i feel healthier and more confident than i ever did before.

Good luck.

its not the safest way to diet, it cuts out your carbs, which forces your body to use fat as an energy source, then when you will lose weight, if not controlled properly once your body has depleted all of its fat stores, it will use protien as a energy source, that basicaly means ur body will break down its own muscles.

it used correctly it an ok diet, not safe but ok

but its very tempting to stick to a diet that works, then it becomes dangerous

in my opinion, you should never completly cut carbs out of your normal diet, its to dangerous

you know your stuff. it sometimes annoys me when you see people posting crap thinking they know more about a diet. It annoys my fella too who is a qualified nutritionist, and uses this method to lose weight himself as he also does bodybuilding.

Diet is only 1 aspect of losing weight however. Exercise is also very important.

If your trying to lose weight...its Cardiovascular all the way...Running/Walking/Sports are good but in my opinion Swimming is the best if you can swim. I wouldn't advise stacking the weights and pumping it 10 times and then stuffing your face with creatine (like alot of blokes in my gym do!).