View Full Version : What is Sheffield's BEST area?

t020
28-05-2003, 20:02
What is Sheffields BEST area?

DaBouncer
28-05-2003, 20:28
Originally posted by "t020"

What is Sheffields BEST area?
You missed off Whirlow... better than Totley IMHO

t020
28-05-2003, 20:29
good point, though its mainly classed as ecclesall really

t020
28-05-2003, 20:32
tried to add it, but it only lets u have 6 options, so just count it in ecclesall. when i say ecclesall i dont mean the student end nearer town i mean the surbaban end further from town.

ps. da bouncer i posted on ur house exchange thread

DaBouncer
29-05-2003, 07:57

tried to add it, but it only lets u have 6 options, so just count it in ecclesall. when i say ecclesall i dont mean the student end nearer town i mean the surbaban end further from town.

ps. da bouncer i posted on ur house exchange thread
Yeah I got that, good advice, but I'm still hopin that the bargain and house do-up challenge may present itself!
We are already looking to buy around Greystones.

MMik
29-05-2003, 15:59
Define BEST? Do you mean richest as in disposable income or least burglaries or proximity to city or countryside or cosmopolitan mix or what?
Ecclesall as affluent as it is has houses as close together as anywhere in the city. I now pose the question, Which is the BEST area of these to live in: Parson Cross, Wybourn, Manor, Longley or Hyde Park.

t020
29-05-2003, 16:02
by BEST i mean affluency, lack of council housing, parks, trees, scenery, flash cars, big houses, well kept gardens, etc. and ecclesalls houses aren't "close together", and if they were, how would this affect affluency? no houses in ecclesall, and i live here, can be defined as "close together", unless u count the terraced houses in the student zone, but that is not strictly ecclesall, people just think it is cos its on/just off ecclesall road.

Phanerothyme
29-05-2003, 16:40
crescent road, nether edge is pretty good on several of your criteria. I thin k Sheffield partly defies classification like this because of all its nooks and crannies.

And I would probably use another version of best that includes

friendliness of neighbours
multiethnicity
number of convenience stores
number of restaurants
number of nice pubs w/o jukeboxes/machines
weather (sheffield, I have noticed has several little microclimates)
flash cars (less please- not more)
distance from main road (more=better)
no of children playing in street.

So I nominate Nether Edge as the best part of sheffield because where I live is perfect. (apart from the @~&$$! litter)

t020
29-05-2003, 16:50
nether edge has a good part and also some very dodgy parts. if you honestly think however that its better than the areas on my list, and i mean honestly, then vote for other by all means. since the forum only allows 6 alternatives i could only choose 5 areas and an 'other' option. i think i chose the 5 best though to choose from

pete f
31-05-2003, 15:28
reply to question about worst areas, i've lived at kelvin, hyde park, park hill and now parson cross.....they're all c--p!

lots of character but i don't mind selling my soul if it gets me to dore

kittykat
31-05-2003, 23:54
As a humble Rotherhamer I find the houses in Fulwood and ecclesall very nice indeed. I would love to live there. There are some really nice ones that are very secluded and massive. You dont get many houses like that in rotherham. All i need to do now is get myself a 80'000+ salary to afford the mortgage on one of them.

ostercy
03-06-2003, 08:36
I like Walkley, Crookes and Broomhill. But I'm not sure why.

DaBouncer
03-06-2003, 08:41
Originally posted by "kittykat"

As a humble Rotherhamer
Shouldn't that be 'Rov'ramer'? :lol:

PaulTansley
03-06-2003, 09:10
Bradfield is the best place in my book due to the fine views over looking at least 3 resovoirs and close enough to the city.

Dug
03-06-2003, 10:55
I voted for Eccelsall, but I live around Hunters Bar/Banner Cross, it is great - so close to the restaurnants and bars on Eccelsall Road, shopping on Sharrowvale Road and the countryside through Endcliffe Park, not to mention the Botanical Gardens

t020
03-06-2003, 11:53
I agree Dug. All the parks and woods, plus the Botanical Gardens, as well as a few mins up Ringinglow Rd into the moors....excellent. Interesting that there are 9 votes for "other", yet only 3 posts that could relate to these votes. People are just voting for where they live. Also, is Bradfield within Sheffields boundary? I'm not sure whether it is or it isn't.

Quite a tight race so far, Fulwood and Ecclesall neck and neck with Dore and Ranmoor not too far behind.

steelblade
03-06-2003, 12:17
Yes Bradfield is part of Sheffield. I would say Braddy, Worral, Stannington and Loxley are the best areas.

Lovely views, greenery and nice down to earth people.

max
03-06-2003, 13:01
Walkley/Crookes for all the same reasons people voted for Fulwood/Ranmoor/etc viz. proximity to the great outdoors. Plus decent shopping centres, pubs, restaurants, etc., which Fulwood/Ranmoor lack.

t020
03-06-2003, 13:51
yeah but row after row of terraced housing AIN'T too pretty really is it

max
03-06-2003, 13:56
More attractive than identical 70s semis though, you must admit.

t020
03-06-2003, 14:17
not really, though Fulwood and Ecclesall don't have very many 70s semis. More 1930s semis and detacheds, with.... GARDENS not yards and outside toilets! Seriously, I know Walkley well as I have family there and I can't imagine anyone thinking it more Picturesque than the places I put on the voting list, but its all down to personal taste/opinions, and what you consider the most important aspects of a good area, eg. how the houses look, the amenities, trees, parks, house prices, etc. Thats the whole point of my poll. :)

Phanerothyme
03-06-2003, 14:51

isn't it?

I think red brick victorian terraces look fantastic. Especially in sheffield, where the are in serried ranks up the side of a hill interspersed with trees. A hillside of red brick terraces lit up by the setting sun looks awesome colouring everything around golden orange. The architecture combines (in most cases) form and function into a near perfect set of small dwellings that don't intrude heavily on the eye, or sport 'modern' features that aren't so much architectural as cosmetic or ornamental.

Terraced housing is great. Only 2 outside walls, frequently a cellar and an attic (we get 3 beds, 1 bath 2 recept, garden out of one teensy house). the houses have 100 years behind them and good for another 100 with the right care.

Top houses, wouldn't live in anything else. And terraced houses can get pretty big too, so there's plenty of room for climbing the property ladder (if that's your thing).

Terraced housing in reaosnable areas always sells fast, unless it's really grody, and even then cashbuying landlords will beat a path to your door.

t020
03-06-2003, 15:04
The only thing I don't like about terraced housing though is that the ones in Walkley tend to lack front gardens and there don't seem to be enough trees. The best things are probably the big attics.

Craig7777
04-10-2006, 02:38
I really like fulwood and when i'm all grown up, i thinks i'm gonna buy a house their :)

Ousetunes
04-10-2006, 07:42
Walkley/Crookes for all the same reasons people voted for Fulwood/Ranmoor/etc viz. proximity to the great outdoors. Plus decent shopping centres, pubs, restaurants, etc., which Fulwood/Ranmoor lack.

Shopping apart, I must disagree with you Max on Ranmoor's behalf when you say it lacks restaurants and pubs (although I've always argued Fulwood village would benefit a pub [much to the chagrin of its residents it seems]).

Ranmoor can boast three decent, clean, welcoming pubs: Bull's Head, Ranmoor Inn and Fulwood Inn. A magnificent bistro/wine bar - indeed my favourite 'eatery' - West 10 and a very good indian, Ranmoor Tandoori (which is a BYO. Next door is a well-stocked beer-off).

I live on Lodge Moor and love the place (its openness, all that sky and so on) but I'm keeping a very close eye on Ranmoor as it is possibly the only other area of Sheffield I'd like to move to.

As for this topic, although to a degree 'overgrown', a walk through places like Nether Edge and (yes) Broomhall can be very pleasing. Great buildings, a lot of life and close to decent amenities (Ecclesall Road for example).

Sadly, both areas look cluttered due to the amount of parked cars, crazy dead-end and one-way streets (not to mention pinch-points, speed humps and so on) and vegetation growing out of every crack in the road/pavement.

Carborundum
04-10-2006, 07:49
nether edge has a good part and also some very dodgy parts. if you honestly think however that its better than the areas on my list, and i mean honestly, then vote for other by all means. since the forum only allows 6 alternatives i could only choose 5 areas and an 'other' option. i think i chose the 5 best though to choose from

Nether Edge is a very good area - I have not in my experience found any "dodgy" parts - define what you mean by dodgy - unless of course you mean multicultural in which case you are expressing racist views ..

Plain Talker
04-10-2006, 08:00

Actually, I'd say that, IMO, Victorian terraced housing has a lot of appeal. the houses have character and warmth.
They are usually well-built, and designed to last, and, if maintained properly they are excellent.
I agree with Phan's coments, above, about the aesthetic appeal of how handsome the houses look when viewed across one of Sheffield's many valleys, and the sun is glinting off them.

I may be going all nostalgic, and perhaps remembering an idyll, but there was a sense of community in these areas. Residents watched out for each other, residents all knew everyone else, often, extended families lived in close proximity to each other. There was less isolation, then. Kids could play out in relative safety.

I'd say, that in areas that haven't been taken over too much, by HIMO landlords, there is still that community spirit.

Now, regarding the OP, and opinions on which is the best area to live in...

For me, I'd say right here where I am. I am far enough out of the city centre to not be affected by the noise, and bustle. BUT, I am near enough to be able to get to town easily.

We have a good sense of community here, I like living here.

Tricky
04-10-2006, 08:33
Nether Edge is a very good area - I have not in my experience found any "dodgy" parts - define what you mean by dodgy - unless of course you mean multicultural in which case you are expressing racist views ..

That's an interesting interpretation,

describing an area as dodgy = racist

Says something about you that was better left unsaid.

coggy
04-10-2006, 08:48
Ranmoor and Nether Green get my vote ! Excellent places to live :thumbsup:

princealbert
04-10-2006, 09:42
You missed stocksbridge off,how dare you.

Rich
04-10-2006, 09:44
Also the poll is biased towards Central and South Sheffield areas... But of course that's typical t020... :rolleyes:

Up the North! :clap:

AtticusFinch
04-10-2006, 10:12
Also the poll is biased towards Central and South Sheffield areas... But of course that's typical t020... :rolleyes:

Up the North! :clap:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but t020 hasn't posted on here for a long while, maybe over a year. Why are you still making sly digs at him?

taxman
04-10-2006, 10:19
I really like fulwood and when i'm all grown up, i thinks i'm gonna buy a house their :)

Another 3 year old thread given the Graig7777 treatment :P

robbo12
04-10-2006, 10:35
I lived in Ecclesal ,certainly no riff raff when i was there

Plain Talker
04-10-2006, 11:09
Correct me if I'm wrong, but t020 hasn't posted on here for a long while, maybe over a year. Why are you still making sly digs at him?

T20's last post on the forum was 29/07 06, on the "Roadworks at Summerfield Street" Thread

Rich
04-10-2006, 11:48
T20's last post on the forum was 29/07 06, on the "Roadworks at Summerfield Street" Thread

Actually he posted this morning at 10 to 5 or thereabouts, although quite what he was doing online at that time in a morning God only knows, I was just a bit restless last night and put the PC on for 10 minutes.

Plain Talker
04-10-2006, 12:00
ah... right.... really? that's interesting, as I did a search for his posts, before I made my comments, and the one that came up as his most recent one was the 29/07 one.

<shouts for the techies> Joe! Joe! thi's summat up wi't' puter!" ( ;) lol )

the-lioness
04-10-2006, 12:27
EASY -

THE BEST AREA IS THE STANNIGNTON, HILLS, BRADFIELD, DUNGWORTH AREA - NO COMPETITION :thumbsup: :D :hihi:

SpaceForm
04-10-2006, 12:42
What about Millhouses, Beauchief, Whirlow and Dore. Bit of a **** poll really.

Pz

Craig7777
04-10-2006, 13:01
Another 3 year old thread given the Graig7777 treatment :P

10 points to the taxman ;)

trotta69
04-10-2006, 13:55
birley massive is the best area in sheff come n see lol

zetagi
04-10-2006, 16:01
pittsmoor is a real nice place full of beauty

Deepak_S7
04-10-2006, 17:05
by BEST i mean affluency, lack of council housing, parks, trees, scenery, flash cars, big houses, well kept gardens, etc. .

Sounds like a hell hole to me :)

Deepak

sall242003
04-10-2006, 20:49
I think that Woodseats is a really good place to live, The facilities, shops, nightlife, wide mixture of housing, wide mix of people, good schools. I would rather live at Woodseats than any of the "rich" areas on your poll!

swarm
05-10-2006, 07:32
Greystones, Ecclesall. Nuff said.

john t
05-10-2006, 08:23
pittsmoor is a real nice place full of beauty

Nope...the beauty of old Pitsmoor..where the people..now destroyed thanks to the council.!!

jt

Unregistered
05-10-2006, 08:34
Grenoside and Loxley are great areas to live in.

NEKRO138
05-10-2006, 09:01
Yes Bradfield is part of Sheffield. I would say Braddy, Worral, Stannington and Loxley are the best areas.

Lovely views, greenery and nice down to earth people.

Yes. This is true.

RoyalRegular
05-10-2006, 09:37
Let's not forget Dungworth. I bet nobody has better views than we've got from my bedroom window looking out on the Loxley valley to the right and Bradfield church to the left. Bloody gorgeous!

Rich
05-10-2006, 10:10
EASY -

THE BEST AREA IS THE STANNIGNTON, HILLS, BRADFIELD, DUNGWORTH AREA - NO COMPETITION :thumbsup: :D :hihi:

Indeed, up the North! S6 in particular! :D

Sod all these toffs in Eccleshall... Just because they have their Privet hedges etc they're no better than anyone else IMO...

swarm
05-10-2006, 10:23

Sod all these toffs in Eccleshall... Just because they have their Privet hedges etc they're no better than anyone else IMO...

Not bitter then. Anyway whats Stannington got to do with the lovely Ecclesall?

Craig7777
06-10-2006, 03:16

Ecclesall is Full of chavs :(

Umpalot
06-10-2006, 03:26
I used to live in eccleshall area, but when i was there it was full of students. When did the chavs arrive?

Daven
06-10-2006, 04:05
Not bitter then. Anyway whats Stannington got to do with the lovely Ecclesall?
Absolutely nothing - there is no comparison - Stannington wins without question ! Nothing much at Ecclesall except the woods !

ToryCynic
06-10-2006, 09:51
I used to live in eccleshall area, but when i was there it was full of students. When did the chavs arrive?

That'll be Ecclesall Road (or roads off of it), not Ecclesall (which starts at Ecc. Rd. Sth. - for the umpteenth time). :) :P

climberone
06-10-2006, 10:06
Broomhill and Crookes are really nice areas

Craig7777
06-10-2006, 11:57
That'll be Ecclesall Road (or roads off of it), not Ecclesall (which starts at Ecc. Rd. Sth. - for the umpteenth time). :) :P

You say tomato i say tomato :rolleyes:

Rich
06-10-2006, 11:59
Ecclesall is Full of chavs :(

Methinks certain S11 natives would dispute that... :rolleyes:

climberone
06-10-2006, 11:59
Hey up!

Methinks i detect a hint of sarcasm!!

I work in the areas and love to walk around them at lunchtime, some nice trees and buildings!!