Sign in to follow this  

Help training dog! (dominance/aggression problem)

I need help/advice on training a 1 1/2 year old Yorkshire terrier!

We got him from a family member about 6 months ago, as he wasn't being looked after properly and i'm starting to think they have ruined him!

He is a gorgeous dog, very loving and well behaved most of the time.

The things they did to him that we know of were - Having a cat flap fitted to the front door (leading on to a main road) so they didn't have to walk him, keeping him caged in one room (utility room which they never used and had nothing in it), feeding him just the children's left overs no dog food!

They never taught him the basic commands and never showed him any form of punishment for being naughty.

I have since we got him, taught him how to sit, lay down, give paw and take treats without snatching but we still have a few problems. If he manages to steal one of the kids toys he wont let go and if you go to take it he gets very nasty and aggressive! If he is cornered he gets nasty and also if certain males in the family try to get him into his bed!

I want to calm him down, I want him to be able to play with the kids like the other dogs do without me having to watch him constantly but i dont want to have to hit him or use electric collars so please dont suggest that!

Any advice will be great thanks :help:

I see your in Hillsborough, I take my dog to a training class monday nights at the bottom of fox hill road (near halifax road)

Its very good.

I can get you the phone number if you like?

That would be great thanks. :thumbsup:

And if anyone else has good tips or advice they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

In a similar thread someone suggested using a water spray to discourage negative dog behaviour.

put stones into a plastic botlle every time he becomes aggressive shake the bottle and say no he will then learn to leave things when told

The first thing to remember with a Yorkie, is that they are terriers, not the glove puppets/toy dogs that some people like to think they are ;)

This means that they are not necessarily the best dogs for playing with children, and should never be left unsupervised with children - even the smallest Yorkie is capable of breaking the skin, and the germs/diseases that can result mean it's just better to play it safe in the first place :thumbsup:

You have a dog which thinks like a dog... or a wolf, if that makes the visualisation easier. This explains the behaviour when males try to send him to his bed, as this is a demonstration of dominance, from his perspective. He is defending what he believes to be his territory/pack.

Things that encourage him to believe that this is HIS pack are those which we believe are 'kindness', such as sitting on knees or sofas, sleeping on beds etc. In the dog's mind, he is sleeping in the most prestigious locations as a symbol of his status as head of the pack. It wouldn't be a surprise to find that he challenges males but not females because he is allowed to 'get away with' these activities with the women of the house, but the men are more inclined to treat him like a dog and not a child ;)

I'll stop typing whilst you tell me how far off beam I am ;)

If you think I may be at least a bit right, I'm happy to carry on :)

I've sent you a pm :D

It wouldn't be a surprise to find that he challenges males but not females because he is allowed to 'get away with' these activities with the women of the house, but the men are more inclined to treat him like a dog and not a child ;)

Or, to put a different perspective on things, if the women don't let him get away with it he will see that they are higher in the pack and won't challenge them like he does males who let him sit on the furniture ;)

I think the pack training is a major issue and without being cruel to him, you need to make him aware that you are boss, that your family are of higher status than him, and that he is the very lowest member of the pack. There are loads of books on this, look out for Victoria Stilwell's book and books by Jan Fennel who is a great follower of the pack theory. Otherwise I can suggest a few ways to help him realise who's boss.

Don't feel that you're being cruel, dogs are much happier being at the bottom of the pack and once they know where they stand!

I used a rolled up newspaper. Never hit my dogs with it, just had to raise it above my head and speak sternly to them. Always gave them a tit-bit for doing the right thing, and a flourish with the newspaper for doing wrong. The only mistake I made was giving them Pork Scratchings for their treat. Ten years hence, and they’re still looking in my trousers pockets for them! I buy ten packets a week and Tesco’s till-girls always give me a funny look, thinking I’m an addict!

There are many better ways to fix this than threatening with a newspaper.

The fact is, you are still threatening to put them through pain, but then not carrying it out.

I can't see any reason why a dog would be afraid of a rolled up newspaper if it had never been hit with one previously. You are, in my opinion, getting them to do what you want through fear rather than respect.

The trick is to get the dog to respect you and do what you say because it has been conditioned to do so (ie, it's a natural response to a command). Not because it will be threatened if it doesn't do as you say.

Threatening a dog who is aggressive will only result in further aggression.

Demonstrating that aggressive behaviour is something that results in being excluded from the pack if far more effective.

Threatening a dog who is aggressive will only result in further aggression.

Demonstrating that aggressive behaviour is something that results in being excluded from the pack if far more effective.

I agree, if you remove him from the situation (either put him in a crate or in a separate room) for two minutes and let him back in again, removing him each time he's aggressive, he will soon realise that it isn't accepted behaviour and there is no punishment worse than being removed from his family.

Also, if you go to remove him, don't let him scare you off again. If you start something you must finish it (regardless of teeth!) otherwise he will know he can bully you!

Again, I'll wait for a reply to the PM I sent!