Sign in to follow this  

Wireless Connections [ASK AN EXPERT]

Anyone know how to configure a wirless home network?

I recently got a new laptop with a built in WiFi card.

Now I've just got a Wireless USB connector for my Desktop and need to configure them so I can share my ADSL connection etc.

I'm a complete newbie so I need ALL the help you guys can provide me.

Cheers

DB

Have you got a wireless router. I'm pretty sure I just followed the instructions enclosed, and it was straightforward, well it'd have to be if I managed it.

You orobably need an ADSL router to share connections.

Get the Binatone ADSL router for £60 from Argos... Plug one end of each connection from your desktop and your laptop into the router, and Bob's your second cousin twice removed, on your mother's side :D

are both machines running XP?

If so use the internet connection wizard to share the adsl connection from your desktop to your laptop (the wizard will sort it all out).

This approach means that the desktop must be on to provide access to the laptop.

The better alternative is to purchase and ADSL wireless router. This will provide a wireless connection to either or both machines without worrying about which one is on or off.

Yeah both running XP... but I can't seem to get the connecting to each other bit out of the way first!:(

Id like to ask a question about wireless things. I am going to be moving soon to somewhere with no phone line but i still need the net. Would this solve my problem or am i just being an idiot? Would i need to spend hundreds to get a special whatsit or other to get it connected. Im an even newbier newbie as i know absolutely NOTHING about it and if i search the net all i get is web boffin sites that i dont understand.

The wireless things work a bit like a cordless phone - you plug a "base station" into your phone line and a wireless "card" into your PC. Then your PC can use the phone line without being plugged into a phone socket.

So, no, without a phone line, wireless won't be a solution for you Kittikat.

We had loads of problems setting blue tooth up in are house..

the set up goes:-

2 PC network with independant modems

1 PDA with blue tooth for round the house internet..

when we put the blue tooth in it stop the modem working but with a lot of messing we got it working.. Well worth it..

also Binaton modems don't last and i have had loads of problme with them.

try these

E-buyer Sheffield

if you get stuck let me know more than willing to help out as i only for evenings and volantry at the mom,

to get to the connection wizard on both pc's, right click on "my network places" goto properties, in the bar on the left select "setup a home or small office network", work through this wizard on both pc's and you should get a connection between them.

wireless networking doesn't involve the phoneline necessarily, it's normally used if you have either adsl (which does use the phone line) or cable (which doesn't).

If the house doesn't have a phone line it may still be possible to have broadband installed, check the telewest and bt websites to see if it's in a covered area.

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Anyone know how to configure a wirless home network?

I recently got a new laptop with a built in WiFi card.

Now I've just got a Wireless USB connector for my Desktop and need to configure them so I can share my ADSL connection etc.

I'm a complete newbie so I need ALL the help you guys can provide me.

Cheers

DB

DB if you are just wanting to share the internet connection you don't need to set up a home network to the other machines. You just need a wireless router - you plug your ADSL modem and the desktop machine into this and connect the laptop using the wireless capability.

I have broadband setup at home with 1 desktop machine with a wired network card direct to the router, another desktop machine with a wireless network card and a laptop with a wireless connection. I took me about half an hour to configure them (although I did have a little help on the router - I didn't realise that this cloned the mac address of the first machine). I was initially going to set it up the way you are thinking of but this way means you do not need to have the desktop machine switched on to get the internet. PM me if you want any details and I will try and help.