View Full Version : How to keep cats away from my garden?

greennigel
04-07-2003, 05:50
Does anyone know how to stop cats messing in my garden?
I've tried the pepper stuff from B&Q and even empty pop bottles
but they keep coming back with their deposits.

Moon Maiden
04-07-2003, 08:48
There is a plant that is being marketed. I am desperately trying to remember the name - but is a naturaly occurring deterent.

I will try and find something on it for you. It was in the News Of The World last year.

Other than that - they do not like anything Citrus.

Moon Maide

cosywolf
04-07-2003, 09:52
My cat-owning neighbours have a very useful way of keeping (their) cats off their garden:?
After complaining bitterly for ten minutes about how totally rude that is:lol: I tried it in my garden. It's not helpful if they crap in a lawn or large space...
small sticks pushed into the ground so that approx6-12inches are sticking out of the ground like spikes. They must be close enough together to prevent cats snuggling their bottoms down between them to poo. It puts them right off...but is obviously better for smaller spaces. Looks a bit odd too, but the plants soon grow around them.
I was also surprised to find that lemon/citrus peels seem to work. But you have to keep replacing them every 3 or 4 days. Again not good for a big space unless you really really like lemonade.:P

Having a dog hasn't helped (she'd have to be out there every hour of the day) but having your own cat generally does. And bonus: it keeps other cats out, and then goes and craps in someone elses garden.:lol:

John
06-07-2003, 22:55
Have you considered getting a dog?

Moon Maiden
02-08-2003, 10:06
Well my little cat is really really starting to annoy our neighbour.

She likes to soak up the warmth from their flagstones but has aparently taken to using their small garden as a toilet. Whenever our neighbour tries to chase her away(when we are absent) opur cat hisses and swipes at her.

Normally I don't get this agression when I move Nos off her garden.

Any suggestions to help keep our cat off their garden that are not harmful to young children???

Moon

DaBouncer
02-08-2003, 10:43
She could buy a dog.
BB pellet gun.
Lemon scent.
Spikes.

max
02-08-2003, 11:42
I hear that if you can get hold of lion sh*t from a zoo this is good for keeping other, smaller, cats away and is also good for roses.

cosywolf
02-08-2003, 11:52
EW, Surely that's an even worse smell:lol:

She could get a cat too and then both cats could go poo in someone elses garden. Like mine:evil:

PaulTansley
02-08-2003, 13:26
Its a big problem with cats that they are territorial and you can't exactly take them out on a leash.
Cats are a law unto themselves and always do there mess in someone elses garden.
Your far from alone with this matter and i,m affraid other than your neighbour buying a dog which then would'nt solve anything as they roam at night while doggy sleeps indoors.
Perhaps you can offer to clean up the mess.
I have the same problem with other peoples cats s*****ng in my garden and if i could get my hands on it i would probably strangle it but its not your fault that your cat decides to leave its trophys in someones garden, thats what they do.
Try and come to some agreement like clean it up or your neighbour might take the matter ainto there own hands and poison it.

Funke88
04-08-2003, 19:56
My dad uses Jeyes fluid around the edges of the garden and areas frequented by local pooches. Now this may work for cats too and they won't like the offensive odour either. He says it's okay for the plants too? Not sure about that. I don't want your neighbours plants dying. However, tell them that cat poo is a good fertilizer for roses. Dad uses horse manure. Tell them it's the same thing? Yes, really it is!

What mess?? At least cats bury their trophies and don't usually dig up plants. They usually find open areas of dirt and dig a hole. Cats are very clean animals. At least they clean up after themselves.

And as for the poison comment Cycleracer: you should be ashamed to admit that you would hurt someone elses kitty kat.
tut tut :(

HotPhil
17-05-2004, 11:38
Whilst I like cats, I dislike them fouling my garden. There's a lot of cats near where I live and they all seem to foul my garden (guess it could be "disputed territory" or something).

I understand they have to make a mess somewhere, but would prefer if they did it in their owner's gardens, leaving me to enjoy my modest-sized garden in this fine weather without treading in mess.

I've tried a couple of packs of cat-repellant powder, but the cats "just smile at you and keep on coming" (to quote Armageddon).

We've also been given an ultrasonic cat scarer, but it's mains voltage and I don't have (and don't want to have to install) mains in the garden.

Does anyone know of somewhere in Sheff where I can get a battery-operated cat scarer? Or have any sensible, effective suggestions on humane (i.e. not involving an air-gun) method of deterring cats?

max
17-05-2004, 11:41
Threads merged.

slimsid2000
17-05-2004, 13:11
Lion manure is good for keeping cats off your garden.

Now all you need to do is catch a lion.

dinp
17-05-2004, 13:31
Spray water at them, not from a hose, from one of those spray bottles the barbers use.

Ned Ludd
17-05-2004, 13:38
Funke88, cats do bury their trophies and it's not very nice grabbing a handful when you put your bedding plants in:o
Thompson and Morgan sell a plant called Coleus Canina (Scardy Cat) @£7.99 for 6: cat no:JT2131. It's an annual but you can propogate cuttings over winter time .
Apparently it smells foul to cats who hate it. (only smells to humans if you actually touch it)
I'd like to hear any reports on this deterrent as to it's effectiveness

Norbo
17-05-2004, 14:38
Originally posted by hotphil
We've also been given an ultrasonic cat scarer, but it's mains voltage and I don't have (and don't want to have to install) mains in the garden.

Does anyone know of somewhere in Sheff where I can get a battery-operated cat scarer? Or have any sensible, effective suggestions on humane (i.e. not involving an air-gun) method of deterring cats?
Just found the following:

http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/garden-pest-control.html

They seem to do all sorts of cunning gadgets and do appear to sell battery powered cat scarers.

Did you try the mains powered one? Did it work? I've been thinking of getting something similar for ages.

Sidla
17-05-2004, 14:44
I've heard that if you throw a bucket of water over the cat it'll never return.

JoeP
17-05-2004, 14:45
Hi all,

In case no-one else mentioned it, Jeyes Fluid is actually quite poisonous to cats and will kill them in fairly small amounts.

Slug pellets are also toxic to cats, as are rat poisons and, I think, creosote as well.

So, please, please, please be careful what you put out in your garden.

And whoever suggested an air-rifle - shame on you. Some little **** locally takes the odd pot shot at cats and it ain't funny.

Joe, semi-responsible human of Jarvis and Kizzy...:-)

JoeP
17-05-2004, 14:47
And....

The really bad effects on your garden come from the urine of non-neutered females.

Gives you some incredible brown patches on your lawn.

Tony
17-05-2004, 16:51
This is a really simple one to solve - get your own cat - especially as you already like them. :thumbsup:

evildrneil
17-05-2004, 17:59
You could try the carrot approach - stick some catnip in the bottom of the garden it tempt it to stay in your garden?

bulldog D
17-05-2004, 18:48
With a nickname like mine you could be forgiven for thinking that I don't like cats but I've noticed since Parkas with furry hoods went out of fashion there all over the place.

H.P
17-05-2004, 19:27
sprinkle black pepper around the garden harmless to animals but an effective deterent apparently...our streets like a cat crap fest so i just stopped trying .. but give it a go

zxczxc
17-05-2004, 19:37
I tried the pepper, and no joy.

We've got a cat who likes to trail the concrete dust from the communual car park, to create footprints over all the cars, aaah!

elf
25-06-2004, 12:59
How can i stop cats crapping in my garden?
Its really minging.

Lickable
25-06-2004, 13:16
pepper in the soil is supposed to work.

Getting a cat yourself often works. Its very unusual for a cat to poop in its own garden, and other cats wont really come near another cats area, unless it likes them, and then it wont poop cos it respects the area!

Catch the cat and rub its nose in it (not so it smudges all over the cat, just near it) then put the cat in next doors garden, or wherever you wish it to poop from now on :)

Titian
25-06-2004, 14:04
You can buy some pet repellent spray from the DIY stores. It is harmless to animals and children.

Not sure how good it is for the environment though or how effective it is.

Or:

A mix of ground black pepper & chili

Scatter citrus peel (oranges & lemons) around the garden

Place pine cones around near garden borders

Plant geraniums, marigolds and petunias, cats apparently dislike those plants

Grow spiky plants near areas you want to keep cats from (base of trees that attract birds

max
25-06-2004, 15:21
Similar threads merged.

TrashyBook
27-06-2004, 00:11
I've heard good reports about Silent Roar.

It's a pellet-form cat repellent. They're soaked in "essence of real lion dung."

Buy it here (http://www.sortoutyourgarden.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Silent_Roar_Cat_Repellant___0_5kg _386.html)

Tony
27-06-2004, 08:15
Here's the verdict from a recent 'Which' report (I must remember to cancel that subscription). Basically none of the stuff that you sprinkle on the garden was any good, only the ultrasonics and the 'Scarecrow' that squirts water at things it detects.

I still think the best idea is to get yoru own cat ;)

Verdict
None of the branded deterrents we tried worked for everyone but the ultrasonic devices and the Scarecrow were the most successful. Of these, the Cat & Dog Repeller is the cheapest. To conserve battery life, try to position it where the movement sensor won't pick up a lot of non-cat movement such as people or traffic. Alternatively, dispense with batteries and use it with a mains adapter. Or stick to using low-tech netting and twigs to protect seed beds.

Whichever method you choose, clear away evidence of fouling first - this acts as a magnet for further fouling.

PIF_Tails
12-07-2004, 10:18
Ask local cat owners to provide an inside litter trays for their cats to discourage outside toileting (I have several trays all year round)

Or if the cat owner doesn't want/can't have inside trays...Ask them to dig a pit in their garden, several feet deep and 2 foot square and fill with peat. Then all that is needed is for this outside toilet to be dug over frequently with a spade.

As cats have to go somewhere and as we own the cats it is only fair that we deal with the mess by providing inside litter trays or outside toilets.

In your garden covering bare soil, with gravel or slate etc will discourage digging.

If you actually see a cat in your garden, a water pistol works wonders and doesn't hurt the cat but it is important the cat doesn't see you do it. Else they'll associate you with the water, what you want them to link is the garden and the water.

In fact you can buy a motion sensor attached to a garden hose is meant to be very effective. the link is for the picture only but I saw one recently in a betterware book (I *think*)
http://www.smalltownfriendly.com/6120.htm

Lion poo is a good idea and you can get it dried from good garden centres called Silent Roar and it doesn't smell as it is in pellet form.

A legally note it is against the law to intentional hurt a cat, they have legally protection like dogs.

Draggletail
12-07-2004, 23:21
Originally posted by Funke88
My dad uses Jeyes fluid around the edges of the garden and areas frequented by local pooches. Now this may work for cats too and they won't like the offensive odour either. He says it's okay for the plants too? Not sure about that. I don't want your neighbours plants dying. However, tell them that cat poo is a good fertilizer for roses. Dad uses horse manure. Tell them it's the same thing? Yes, really it is!

What mess?? At least cats bury their trophies and don't usually dig up plants. They usually find open areas of dirt and dig a hole. Cats are very clean animals. At least they clean up after themselves.

And as for the poison comment Cycleracer: you should be ashamed to admit that you would hurt someone elses kitty kat.
tut tut :(
My experience, cats not 100% clean, if you let your lawn get to 3" ish high, they will poo in it, and not bury it. GOD HELP YOU WHEN YOU COME TO MOW THE LAWN! All over your shoes cos you cannot see it:roll:
And dont say I should mow more often!:D

Draggletail
12-07-2004, 23:24
Originally posted by TrashyBook
I've heard good reports about Silent Roar.

It's a pellet-form cat repellent. They're soaked in "essence of real lion dung."

Buy it here (http://www.sortoutyourgarden.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Silent_Roar_Cat_Repellant___0_5kg _386.html)
We tried 'Silent Roar' The cats next door did seem a bit confused by it, initially, but long term did not work :(

Jayne
13-07-2004, 08:52
my mum always used to put orange peel down

trophyman
07-09-2004, 13:15
anyone out there got any tips on how to prevent cats crapping on my garden. i have those blue wood chippings on the front garden and it looked great when i had done it but since then cats have a tendency to use it as a ****house.

ive tried pepper dust and that didnt work. short of staying awake all night and waiting for the little ***** ive run out of ideas.

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alchresearch
07-09-2004, 13:22
Cats are very cunning. You could use orange and lemon rind but they tend to just bury it or urinate on it.

Your only solution is to get a cat. They protect their own territory and doing their muck on someone elses. I have five cats and the nicest garden in the area!

Don't get a dog. Cats like the challenge!

trophyman
07-09-2004, 13:26
when i lived at my mums i used to have the old metal dustbin on the back. once, when we hah the same problem i shot at the bin with my pellet gun and frightened the little **** away (not that id ever shoot an animal) and it never came back.

minnie
08-09-2004, 22:09
Originally posted by Moon Maiden
Well my little cat is really really starting to annoy our neighbour.

She likes to soak up the warmth from their flagstones but has aparently taken to using their small garden as a toilet. Whenever our neighbour tries to chase her away(when we are absent) opur cat hisses and swipes at her.

Normally I don't get this agression when I move Nos off her garden.

Any suggestions to help keep our cat off their garden that are not harmful to young children???

Moon

why not buy a litter tray I have two cats one is sixteen and they have never messed in anyones garden, they can sit outside all day but when nature calls they never fail to come inside and use the tray I have never ever received one complaint from anyone,sometimes it gets a bit boring emptying and cleaning tray but it's my responsibility for being a good pet owner and neighbour.....

missb
09-09-2004, 16:25
I hate cats and they use my garden as a toilet every day!

My neighbour has two cats and there are a couple of others that frequent. I have pebbles ( not small ones ) on my front garden and they s**t on the top of that! So much for burying it. They also took a shine to my raised herb bed ( and didn't bury it ) until I put rose tree cuttings on the top of the soil. I have tried citrus peel, the solid toilet blocks
( used in public loos usually ) crumbled around and pepper dust. I have heard that they don't like garlic or moth balls but I haven't tried these. The trouble is you have to reapply all of these I have mentioned on a daily basis which is time consuming. The only other method is to water pistol them or resort to the infrared cat scarers, which I assume will be costly.

I'm afraid that cats will always do what they do and we have no option but to clear up after them:mad:

tonker
09-10-2004, 16:17
any one got any good ways of getting rid of neighbours cats anything considered why should we have to put up with there pets

Granma
09-10-2004, 16:28
Mothballs!

Granma.

Killian
09-10-2004, 16:47
You could take a tip from the film Me, Myself & Irene. Find out who owns the cat and then go and crap in their garden.

Seriously, there is a plant called Coleus Canina which emits a foul odour when a cat rubs itself against it, but I'd imagine you'd have to cover quite a large area (depending on the size of your garden) for it to be effective.

Zebra
09-10-2004, 16:57
Im actually a cat lover but if the cats are frequenting your garden - you could put pices of onion and orange peel in the grass for a few weeks.
Its a deterrant which does work with continued use for a while until the cats find other places.
I wouldn't advocate any cruelty at all.

max
09-10-2004, 17:06
Several Keeping cats away threads merged.

H.P
09-10-2004, 18:33
Well as a responsable cat owner I provide my kitty with a cat toilet in the house. Its safe from my toddler as its like a little igloo, and it keeps in all the nasty smells. and I am pretty sure that one little kitty could never poop as much as that in the house and still have some left for next doors garden. but if she did I would get the carriers out. my neighbours would talk to me if there were a problem they certainly would'nt wait till it was dark and throw a bag of crap into my garden

coopster1974
10-10-2004, 07:19
If only I had neighbours like you.

Mine just turned round and said "prove it". The fact that I'd seen it on a few occasions didnt sway them at all. I'd get the video camera out but this way at least they hopefully will learn a lesson not to be so negative.

Luckily they're not bang next door but a few doors away.

I'd at least hope you could understand where I'm coming from. I dont allow my dog to poo in the garden (he pees at the same time and burns the grass) so why in gods name should I put up with someonelses?

And before anyone starts, when my dog does crap, its a good solid one, and all trace is removed when I pick it up :)

Lickszz
16-10-2004, 11:48
Originally posted by tonker
honeyplanet what are you on.cats are killers,so a mousetrap might make them jump, your stinky cats should not be in our gardens we dont want your pets,1 cat will kill on average 40 creatures a year just for fun,were have all the garden birds gone,i wonder could it be your cats. why do you have a cat,is it because you are too lazy to take a dog out for a walk,just open the door and throw the creature out to annoy other people.by the way in australia any cat found outside after 7pm is classed as vermin and can be dealt with as so. WHY,because so much natural wild life is indicline because people take the easy way out, they want a pet but not the responsobilty.wake up and smell the coffee,even the r.s.p.c.a say there is cat proplem,

Interesting. I'm inclined to agree to a certain extent. Ban cats from hunting!

It should be compulsory for each cat owner to have a bell attached to a collar and put round the cat's neck in order to prevent them from killing birds and other wildlife. If certain households or premises are plagued by mice or rats an exemption should be granted by the Local Authority allowing the cat to hunt, only if the household or premises has undergone an inspection by a Public Health Inspector and who has deemed that such household or premises has a particular health problem due to rodent pests. ;)

PIF_Tails
16-10-2004, 12:36
Originally posted by Lickszz
Interesting. I'm inclined to agree to a certain extent. Ban cats from hunting!

It should be compulsory for each cat owner to have a bell attached to a collar and put round the cat's neck in order to prevent them from killing birds and other wildlife. If certain households or premises are plagued by mice or rats an exemption should be granted by the Local Authority allowing the cat to hunt, only if the household or premises has undergone an inspection by a Public Health Inspector and who has deemed that such household or premises has a particular health problem due to rodent pests. ;)

1. If a cat is owned, neutered and well fed, this reduces their need to hunt. Out of my 8 cats only Milly hunts mice a grand total of seven in the last two years plus one baby bird released unharmed. Milo brings in grass and stems, Tigs brings in snails. The main killer of wildlife are stray/feral cats and un-neutered domestics cats, so the best way to save wildlife is to neuter all cats, rehome all strays and set up feeding stations for feral cats.

2. Attaching one bell has little to no affect on hunting cats, as cats can move in such a way that the bell is not triggered.
A better way is to attach three bells one under the chin and one under each ear, the cat has to trigger the bells when moving.
But this method still doesn't stop a hunting cat as the cat is motionless untill the final pounce, the bell sound comes too late to save the prey.
But the continuous ring does alert other cats to the location of the belled cat, so this cat will be more likely fight as it can't walk unnoticed though a garden, so I don't recommend using bells.

Tony
16-10-2004, 12:42
The idea that domestic cats are responsible for the decline of the bird population is laughable.

Have you actually ever seen a cat catch a bird? I'm not saying that they don't, but mice, frogs and rats are far easier meat (pun intended) whereas birds have a lucky advantage of eyes on the sides of their heads, wings and unlimited headroom.

Manicured gardens, pesticides and lack of food has a far greater effect on bird life than cats.

tonker
16-10-2004, 18:38
cats dont kill birds,all the baby birds i find mutalated in my garden must have done it themselves silly old birds.as for killing frogs well thats allright then there numbers are only in dicline so lets just wipe them out,so that your tiddles can have fun, just what is dummyplanet Sorry honeyplanet smoking TEE HEE

PIF_Tails
16-10-2004, 19:02
cats dont kill birds,all the baby birds i find mutalated in my garden must have done it themselves silly old birds.as for killing frogs well thats allright then there numbers are only in dicline so lets just wipe them out,so that your tiddles can have fun, just what is dummyplanet Sorry honeyplanet smoking TEE HEE
Do you know if you have stray or feral cats locally ? Are all the owned cats neutered ?

Educate your neighbours of the benefits of neutering.

Ring your local shelters for help trapping (humane traps), neutering and rehoming stray cat and trap, neuter and release feral cats.

If you want things to change, get off your lazy backside and help the situation instead of moaning on this forum.

My partner and I have trapped and rehomed or PTS (ill cats) eight stray cats from my local neighbourhood last year alone.

Just to counteract your obvious reply that you will HELP by killing the cats in question: -

1. It is illegal and will give you a 6-month jail sentence plus £10,000 fine per cat killed or injured. Believe me they will catch you.

2.It has been proven by countless educational studies both in England and in America that killing cats has no effect what so ever. As new stray/domestic cats breed more to fill the space.

Hence I refer you to my initial point; getting all cats neutered is the answer.

PIF_Tails
16-10-2004, 22:05
Originally posted by Tony
The idea that domestic cats are responsible for the decline of the bird population is laughable.
Tony, you are so right. Here are some facts.

Quote from http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0%2C3858%2C4745759-103690%2C00.html
Scientists think that changes in land use, farming practices and house design as well as rising pollution have contributed to the fall.

Quote from http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/00000006DFE6.htm
Is modern farming chasing birds from the hedgerows?

Quote from http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/03/0303_030303_britdeer.html
Deer Behind Britain's Great Bird Decline? Well we better shot all the deer too (joke)

Quote from http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/advice/cats/Copy_of_index.asp?view=print
there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK wide.

Quote from http://www.worldwatch.org/press/news/2003/03/10
This mentions non-native animals such as cats, rats & snakes in this world wide study and what are the main problems....
Habitat loss: Deforestation rates from 50,000 to 170,000 square kilometers a year pose the single greatest overall threat, jeopardizing 85 percent of the world’s most threatened bird species. While forest re-growth initiatives offset the net losses, for many native animals and plants, simplified plantation monocultures are no substitute for more complex natural forests.

Roads and power lines frequently cut through forests, fragmenting them, increasing the chance of fatal collisions, and providing pathways for predators, competitors, and exotic plants. Intensive hunting often follows when roads cut into forests.

Alien attacks: A rise in global trade and travel over the past century has led to an acceleration in the introduction of exotic (non-native) species. Exotic species—including snakes, rats, cats, plants, and insects—now menace a quarter of globally threatened bird species.

Chemical threats: Large oil spills threaten many seabird populations, but small, less-publicized daily tankers also kill birds. Terrestrial habitats also face threats from oil and natural gas exploration, and transport via pipelines. Worldwide, pesticides kill millions of birds on water and on land.

Hunting, Capture, and Fishing: Illegal hunting and poorly regulated laws lead to the killing of millions of birds around the world. Birds can be loved to death too: Almost a third of the world’s parrot species are threatened with extinction because of the pet trade, and long-term habitat loss. Longline fishing also claims hundreds of thousands of seabirds—23 species now face extinction—when they are inadvertently hooked on baited lines and drowned.

Climate change: Recent evidence of earlier bird migration and nesting in some species seems to indicate early effects of global warming. Scientists fear that in coming years climate change will alter vital bird habitats, from tundra to subtropical coastlines, even pushing some localized species towards extinction.

I could add a few more pages of quotes but people can goggle for more if they want more. :D

Conclusion - Some cats kill birds but it does not affect the birds population, as much as people and their affect on the enviroment does.

H.P
17-10-2004, 09:02
Honestly will you be banning the cows from eating the grass next?? how do you stop an animal doing what comes naturally.
My cat does hunt .. this year shes brought home A mouldy old sock. the chip pan filter from someones fat fryer and a cat ball she found in next doors garden.. And no I dont own a cat because I am lazy.. I took my cat in when she was a stray I did'nt ever intend to own a cat she sort of found me.
At the end of the day you seem to have major issues with felines in general as I said maybe you should be seeking some kind of counselling as you seem to be getting warped and obsesive to the point of wanting to kill another creature or maybe you still have your neandathal instincts either way your just not a full shilling are you ?

theimposter
17-10-2004, 10:29
At least cats attempt to bury it. When was the last time you saw a cat taking a dump on the pavement and/or in a park????

It's dogs that should be the target of everybody's chagrin!!

coopster1974
19-10-2004, 21:33
Originally posted by theimposter
At least cats attempt to bury it. When was the last time you saw a cat taking a dump on the pavement and/or in a park????

It's dogs that should be the target of everybody's chagrin!!

Nearly all the cats I've ever come across dont make any attempt at all.

Dogs are usually with their owner and if they are responsible they will pick up any poo, unlike cat owners who are downright IRRESPONSIBLE if they dont train their cat to crap in a tray!

saxon51
19-10-2004, 21:43
Dog craps on grass, ...... owner picks it up,........ good! But would you sit on a settee that someone has just picked a dog turd off? Probably not, because the germs are still there.

And by-the-way, not all dogs drop brick-like turds. Some, you could pour through a strainer. Not all dog owners can possibly see their dog do it either, I've seen many a dog sniffing around behind trees out of their owner's sight. AND why don't dog owners follow their dogs more closely in the countryside? God knows how many times I've left the beaten track and entered a minefield of it.

coopster1974
20-10-2004, 12:58
Agreed but that is why I mentioned "If they are responsible"

I know my dog inside out (no pun intended) and can tell you that

1. He wont crap on concrete/tarmac etc
2. He wont crap out in the open
3. He will only crap if there is at least a small bush to hide his modesty

Knowing all this means I can 99.9% predict when and where he will crap therefore I am in a position to pick it up.

He is on a special diet so it is always hard and easy to pick up.
Granted not all dog owners are lucky enough to be in this position.

Anyway back to business - in order to keep cats out of your garden do what I'm going to do at some point and nail strips of carpet grip to the top of your fences. Poor pussys paws!!! But it'll keep em out :lol:

missb
20-11-2004, 15:38
[QUOTE]Originally posted by theimposter
[B]At least cats attempt to bury it.

Not in my garden they don't!

missb
23-12-2004, 18:22
Over the past year we have been pestered with cat/s crapping in our garden. They don't mind where they do it: on the path where we walk, on the pebbled area, on top of plants, in my raised herb bed, on grass, in fact any bloody where. It's becoming an obsession with me now. I have removed the offensive mess and mixed up Jeyes Fluid and poured in all over but they still find somewhere else. Non other than the middle of the path! I was on my way to work in the semi-darkness and spotted it - luckily. And no it isn't dogs as they can't get in.

I am at the end of my tether now as they/it comes nightly to use my property as a **** house.:gag:

Any cures? I think I've tried just about everything but am open to any advice.:help:

missb
24-12-2004, 12:19
Looking on the net I have found some tips to deter cats.

I've copied and pasted to this reply:

*eucaCat Deterrent
Save urine and spray onto area - this was really meant for drives etc. and would probably not only kill the grass but I hate to think of the smell on a hot day - it may not only be the cats that stay away!
This was apparently suggested on Janet Edge's local radio station!
Place a small length of hosepipe in amongst your plants, cats and birds don't like snakes!

Cat deterrent - citronella
Ask for a bottle of citronella oil, which is sold as an insect repellent at most chemists. Put a few drops on wooden fences or old teabags and scatter them around the areas in your garden frequented by cats. Cat's hate it!

Cat deterrent - coal
If using grated soap to deter cats it is best to use coal tar, or another tip is to sprinkle curry powder around the boundaries where they frequent.

Cat deterrent - eucalyptus
Dry your used tea bags then put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on them. Scatter in the garden where you want to deter cats.

Cat deterrent - moth balls
Scatter moth balls on your flowerbeds to deter cats from visiting your garden. I have used them for years and I am glad to say that I do not have any cat problems even though we have plenty of cats living locally.

Cat deterrent - orange peel
Cats use my gravel driveway as cat litter. My father-in-law told me to use orange peel which, when broken into small pieces and scattered around the borders, worked wonders and it's cheap.

Cat deterrent - rose trimmings
To deter cats from using your borders as a convenience, place the trimmings from your pruned roses between the plants.

Cat deterrent - soap
I've heard that to keep cats off your plants and borders you should grate perfumed soap and spread it around plants and border

screamingwitch
31-12-2004, 17:19
Originally posted by dinp
Spray water at them, not from a hose, from one of those spray bottles the barbers use.

supersoaker works really well :)

Strix
31-12-2004, 17:23
Originally posted by screamingwit
supersoaker works really well :) Apparently a dash of vinegar enhances the experience for the furry fiend :D

mitziwillow
01-01-2005, 15:13
I'm 'bothered ' by cats - or was. I have tried Jeyes Fluid on the offended area and they seem to be keeping away.

mr_right
16-02-2005, 10:45
I want to say, that cat owners keep their cats, pet and feed them occasionally, then let them go out and cause misery to other people. Any cat owner, who feels that a neighbour is not being reasonable in wanting a garden free from cat mess, is extremely selfish. "I've got a cat, so it craps on your garden....but what do you expect me to do about it? That's what cats do. Sorry your kids have to play in it. Sorry that your garden stinks. Sorry that you have to scrape it up whilst holding your breath. Sorry your kid went blind from toxicara. Sorry for all the anger that you have...but I want a pet....so it's worth it!" I DON'T THINK SO!!! I find it incredible, that if a dog jumps over my garden wall and fouls my garden, I can report the owners, and they can be prosecuted. Why is this not the case for cat owners. Their pet's mess carries the same health risks as a dog's. "But how can you stop a cat from doing it?" cat owners will say. If that is the only answer they can give, and it is correct that a cat cannot be kept under the same restraint as a dog, then keeping cats in built up areas, where there is a possibility that a breach of the peace could result, should be made illegal.
CAT OWNERS ARE, FOR MOST PART, SELFISH PEOPLE, WHO DO NOT CARE OF THE UPSET AND ANGER THAT THEIR PETS CAUSE, AND IF THEY DO CARE, THERE IS LITTLE THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT, OTHER THAN JUST KEEP DOING IT!
AND THAT IS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shelly121
16-02-2005, 10:55
Originally posted by mr_right
I want to say, that cat owners keep their cats, pet and feed them occasionally, then let them go out and cause misery to other people. Any cat owner, who feels that a neighbour is not being

oh honestly, how sad r u. do u have nothin better to do then moan on about a cat!!! its a cat for goodness sake. wot do u expect it to do, climb your stairs and say "sorry can i just use your toilet please"!!!! get a life.

HotPhil
16-02-2005, 11:01
Perhaps the owners should consider keeping their house pets in their house.
We were very happy when our neighbours moved away with their four cats as we felt we may be able to enjoy our garden. Sadly the new neighbour moved in with four cats as well. Then one got run over (our road is quite busy) and she bought two kittens to replace it. Now we have five cats ruining our garden. Something will be done about them by the time the summer comes and I wish to sit outside, mark my words!

shelly121
16-02-2005, 11:34
Originally posted by hotphil
Perhaps the owners should consider keeping their house pets in their house.
We were very happy when our neighbours moved away with their four cats as we felt we may be able to enjoy our garden.

i cant believe im hearing this. It IS CRUEL to keep cats indoors, unles they r blind and therefore cant venture outdoors. ANd as for the rest of you, it sounds like you are hypocondriacs. If you heard it on the news the other day, HUMANS HAVE MORE GERMS IN THEIR MOUTHS THEN A DOG OR CAT DOES. Humans arent exactly the cleanist of beings either. I have a man that walks down my street and stops to dump cat food on a pavement for a cat he considers thin. this cat is nothin to do with him,it could have a liver problem or anythin and hes attracting rats to the area more than anything. and what about you lot that go out on the town and dump your rubbish, you call that clean? - as if you see the CCTV camers when you're all in bed, the rats and mice that eat all your rubbish carry far more germs, and those of you that drop bread down for pigeons- these too have been proven too carry disease. Now im not sayin like the rest of you are, that we should hurt these animals- who are we to say what animals can and cant die, maybe im sayin by the sound of what you lot are sayin, THE WORLD WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE WITHOUT PEOPLE THAT CONSIDER IT OK TO POISON CATS, LOCK THEM INDOORS, PUT THEM "DOWN" JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE "BEING A CAT" AND S***ING IN A GARDEN, ITS NATURE - GET OVA IT!

cgksheff
16-02-2005, 12:03
I find it incredible, that if a dog jumps over my garden wall and fouls my garden, I can report the owners, and they can be prosecuted.

I don't think so!!!!

Report to who?

Prosecuted with what offence?

HotPhil
16-02-2005, 12:08
How can it be cruel to provide shelter, warmth, food and a litter tray for a cat?
Sorry, but I tend to put the priorities of humans above those of animals. If people wish to be pet owners then they should also consider the impact on their human neighbours.
It's not right for a neighbour to have a direct detrimental affect on the state of someone else's garden. And the "but the cat doesn't know any better" argument just doesn't wash - it's simple: if you have a cat, have enough of your own garden for it to foul.
I wouldn't do lasting damage to any cat (super soaker and vinegar will wash off, right?), but I WILL keep them from digging my garden this summer.

Mo
16-02-2005, 14:23
I want to say, that cat owners keep their cats, pet and feed them occasionally, then let them go out and cause misery to other people. Any cat owner, who feels that a neighbour is not being reasonable in wanting a garden free from cat mess, is extremely selfish. "I've got a cat, so it craps on your garden....but what do you expect me to do about it? That's what cats do. Sorry your kids have to play in it. Sorry that your garden stinks. Sorry that you have to scrape it up whilst holding your breath. Sorry your kid went blind from toxicara. Sorry for all the anger that you have...but I want a pet....so it's worth it!" I DON'T THINK SO!!! I find it incredible, that if a dog jumps over my garden wall and fouls my garden, I can report the owners, and they can be prosecuted. Why is this not the case for cat owners. Their pet's mess carries the same health risks as a dog's. "But how can you stop a cat from doing it?" cat owners will say. If that is the only answer they can give, and it is correct that a cat cannot be kept under the same restraint as a dog, then keeping cats in built up areas, where there is a possibility that a breach of the peace could result, should be made illegal.
CAT OWNERS ARE, FOR MOST PART, SELFISH PEOPLE, WHO DO NOT CARE OF THE UPSET AND ANGER THAT THEIR PETS CAUSE, AND IF THEY DO CARE, THERE IS LITTLE THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT, OTHER THAN JUST KEEP DOING IT!
AND THAT IS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hear hear.

Best bet if you know where the cat lives is to scoop the offending filth and take it to owners house then drop on doorstep/lawn/drive. It always gives me a great deal of satisfaction, especially if I can give a big cheesy grin while I'm carrying out the procedure.

Strix
16-02-2005, 14:39
Originally posted by Mo
Hear hear.

Best bet if you know where the cat lives is to scoop the offending filth and take it to owners house then drop on doorstep/lawn/drive. It always gives me a great deal of satisfaction, especially if I can give a big cheesy grin while I'm carrying out the procedure.
Perhaps if you fling it hard enough through the letterbox, you'll get it into the litter tray they're all so proud to tell us about :D

I'm deeply concerned about the motives for cat ownership these days. Too many people say 'I haven't got time for a dog, so we got a cat'. Why do cats get the bum deal? Owners who don't really want them. That's the real reason they're allowed to roam, c&ap and breed freely.

mr_right
16-02-2005, 16:22
Originally posted by shelly121
i cant believe im hearing this. It IS CRUEL to keep cats indoors, unles they r blind and therefore cant venture outdoors. ANd as for the rest of you, it sounds like you are hypocondriacs. If you heard it on the news the other day, HUMANS HAVE MORE GERMS IN THEIR MOUTHS THEN A DOG OR CAT DOES. Humans arent exactly the cleanist of beings either. I have a man that walks down my street and stops to dump cat food on a pavement for a cat he considers thin. this cat is nothin to do with him,it could have a liver problem or anythin and hes attracting rats to the area more than anything. and what about you lot that go out on the town and dump your rubbish, you call that clean? - as if you see the CCTV camers when you're all in bed, the rats and mice that eat all your rubbish carry far more germs, and those of you that drop bread down for pigeons- these too have been proven too carry disease. Now im not sayin like the rest of you are, that we should hurt these animals- who are we to say what animals can and cant die, maybe im sayin by the sound of what you lot are sayin, THE WORLD WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE WITHOUT PEOPLE THAT CONSIDER IT OK TO POISON CATS, LOCK THEM INDOORS, PUT THEM "DOWN" JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE "BEING A CAT" AND S***ING IN A GARDEN, ITS NATURE - GET OVA IT!
OOOOOOHHHHHH!!!! So humans have more germs in their mouths than cats have in their crap. That's alright then!!!!!!
Methinks Shelly hasn't any children. And if she does, she obviously doesn't mind them playing in s**t.

shelly121
17-02-2005, 12:37
OOOOOOHHHHHH!!!! So humans have more germs in their mouths than cats have in their crap. That's alright then!!!!!!
Methinks Shelly hasn't any children. And if she does, she obviously doesn't mind them playing in s**t.

OOOHHHHHHHHHH I FINK SUM1 CANT READ!! i wasnt comparin our mouths to their cr*p. i was sayn the news was talkin about GERMS IN MOUTHS - as in ours and their MOUTHS!

this arguement is neva guna get solved as we'v all got our own opinions. so lets just all leave it now.

seeyoujimmy
24-08-2006, 13:57
Since moving into my first house with a garden i was determined to make it look nice but the local cats have other ideas and would rather dig up my plant pots and poo in them! I've tried lots of things but nothing seems to stop them, any advice is greatly appreciated!:help:

littleboo
24-08-2006, 14:01
At the bottom of the Moor there is a shop called home bargains they sell something called 'GET OFF' it's 99p and it really works, the reason I'm telling you to go there is because its £4,99 at Asda and B&Q

Sultana
24-08-2006, 14:01
Alas, we have tried many many things over the years, but there is always one cat who is not put off by anything it seems. A deepish layer of mulch (bark or cocoa shells) does seem to help, but it's not foolproof. Good luck.

Noodle
24-08-2006, 14:35
I love cats, but when I was renting I had a really big cat that used to come in our garden to do her business, in the gravel no less! :gag: . However, I used to put my old coffee grounds on the flower bed to help them grow nicely, and soon noticed that she wouldn't go where the coffee had been. So I invested in a bag of coffee (grounds), and spread around the garden and kittie didn't go in our garden for ages! She did come back eventually and looked unharmed.

Till Man
24-08-2006, 14:49
If you search around there is a product made from lion poo that worked really well for me. It doesn't smell and comes in a dried form, but aparently little kitty's reaction is "WTF!!!!" "Not hanging around here with whatever did that!!" and thats the last you see of them.
Otherwise ground white pepper spread liberally around is supposed to work too.

Tricky
24-08-2006, 14:54
Try weeing on your garden if you're a man. If you are female, get your husband/partner/boyfriend to. If you're female and single, then.....um....er....

seeyoujimmy
24-08-2006, 14:58
If you search around there is a product made from lion poo that worked really well for me. It doesn't smell and comes in a dried form, but aparently little kitty's reaction is "WTF!!!!" "Not hanging around here with whatever did that!!" and thats the last you see of them.
Otherwise ground white pepper spread liberally around is supposed to work too.

I've heard the lion poo thing before, i was waiting until my next trip to twycross zoo, they sell it for £10 a sack!

Till Man
24-08-2006, 15:00
Try here

http://www.sortoutyourgarden.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Larger_Animals_111.html

medusa
24-08-2006, 15:02
Sharp stone chippings are also helpful for this- but not pea gravel or rounded stones, which feel to them rather like cat litter.

Strix
24-08-2006, 16:29
The first thing is to remove the offending article immediately, and give it a good hosing, then I usually ask Brude to scent mark the spot for me (Brude is a beagle, incase anybody doesn't know :suspect: )

It's handy having a dog who's well trained enough to go on command :D

NatalieSheff
24-08-2006, 16:31
i heard orange peel works, try chucking bucket of water at it!

medusa
24-08-2006, 16:51
i heard orange peel works, try chucking bucket of water at it!

Orange peel works for some cats (but certainly not all of them- I've got a cat that eats the stuff).

And only use a bucket of water if you haven't got a supersoaker- they're far superior and give you the element of surprise as you can get the cat without leaving the house.

Tracie
24-08-2006, 18:29
Mod: This forum will not allow posts which advocate cruelty to animals. When posting on this thread please ensure that your suggestions are humane or they will be removed. Thank you.

stackmonkey
25-08-2006, 14:59
I used to use pepper dust on my garden (and around bin bags) until i realised it didn't put them off (or the local foxes).
My pepper dust now gets a liberal spike of chilli powder. I don't think it harms them, but they don't go through it!

samc
03-09-2006, 18:24
I cut the mini garden wooden stakes and stick them into the flower beds about 2 inches showing cos' no pussy cat wants a pole up it's bottom.

After a while they learn not to bother and leave the flower beds alone and the stakes can be removed.

tom3t0
05-09-2006, 01:04
get a dog? or a mean cat?

Tracie
05-09-2006, 07:14
Note: Threads merged. Thanks for providing the link, greennigel :)

sugartip
22-09-2006, 20:22
peperdust and orange peel chopped up or mothballs they work very well. :thumbsup:

Eleke95
07-10-2006, 21:07
Plant some lavender. It worked for me and smells divine and for some reason the cats hate it.(almost as much as I hate them!)

lizzynoe
08-05-2007, 11:11
Dogs Gone! Coleus Canina I bought 2 - the neighbors cat stopped coming and making "Deposits" and the dogs stay away too!!!
This is where I ordered it from Moonshine Designs their web is djroger dot com

Zebra
08-05-2007, 20:55
Our last house had stood empty for some time and the local cats had become accustomed to using the garden for their loo.
All our orange and onion peels, skins and leftover chopping went on the garden for 2 weeks or so and we never had that problem again.

torin8
08-05-2007, 20:58
Plant some lavender. It worked for me and smells divine and for some reason the cats hate it.(almost as much as I hate them!)

It's a good job our cats don't live near you then - our two love lavender :)

snooze
15-05-2007, 21:17
don't know if its been mentioned but olbus oil(the one you put on pillows for blocked noses) works pretty well, just sprinkle round the offeneding area and not harmful to kids. i also have a couple of clear plastice pop bottles half filled with water on garden, it works for dogs to as they think its there water dish and wont foul near them

Linda Powell
16-05-2007, 17:47
You can buy tins of 'Zoo Poo' from garden centres, reputed to keep moggies at bay.

SamMT
16-05-2007, 21:01
whilst several people have said having a dog does not help, as cats roam when dogs are in the house, one of the benefits is that you can avoid cleaning it up as my dogs eat the cat poo :gag: :gag: :gag:

Grim hey! They love it. Makes me want to puke. Try to stop it where I can but they dig it up places I dont expect it to be. Apparently it resembles a nutritious tasty treat for them. Worst thing is my terrier sometimes brings it in to feast on, and once burried one in the sheepskin rug :gag:

dkhank
18-05-2007, 22:14
There is a plant that is being marketed. I am desperately trying to remember the name - but is a naturaly occurring deterent.

I will try and find something on it for you. It was in the News Of The World last year.

Moon Maide

Its called cat shoo!( common name) It stops cats from doing the do on your garden. It will only repel them when in bloom though!!

CarolW
21-05-2007, 19:20
I don't know where the idea that cats bury their poo comes from - it definitely doesn't happen in my garden.... :help: :help:

I can't get a cat of my own because I'm totally allergic to them (confirmed by the doctor!!!!)

I think I'll have to try the Lion Poo idea......

Linda Powell
22-05-2007, 21:07
I've heard before that mothballs keep cats away. Does anyone know where to get some? I've had no luck so far.

sharpeblack
30-07-2007, 15:48
Hi.:)

I’ve seen some cheap electronic cat repellers on this site but i don't now if they work. Does anyone here know? if they do that would be great as they seem to be good value for money and I want to get one because I’ve had enough of cats using my garden! Any opinions would be appreciated!

kckc
09-03-2008, 17:51
Hi.:)

I’ve seen some cheap electronic cat repellers on this site but i don't now if they work. Does anyone here know? if they do that would be great as they seem to be good value for money and I want to get one because I’ve had enough of cats using my garden! Any opinions would be appreciated!

Not tried em but have heard cats get used to the constant ones, so try one with a sensor. I can't get one cos am worried it will upset the neighbour's dog. Or you could try the electronic 'squirters'.

Have to confess I've blasted 2 cats with the hose today! Made me feel really good about it too, when I got a direct hit :D
As an animal lover, in that I respect wildlife and am veggie, am now wondering if I'm being cruel. :huh:Any opinions on this?
Really fed up with cat poo though, and have tried blocking off entrance holes (but they just clear the fence), orange peel, and tea bags infused with citrus/peppermint/eucalyptus oils, to no avail.:rant:

medusa
09-03-2008, 18:36
No, you aren't being cruel by getting them with the hose. It's undignified and they won't like it, but then that will help to form their opinion of not wanting to go back into your garden.

kat08
12-03-2008, 13:30
Hi I tryed a product called silent roar which I seen in teh local paper. Its actually pellets soaked on lions dung.

I ordered some from silent roar online is anyone wants to have a look at it.

I took a few days to work but there seem to be no cats messing in our garden now.

:)

Becky86
15-03-2008, 11:39
Spring is here, although it doesn't feel like it today, or at any other time this year so far...lol

I am just looking outside @ the garden and thinking that I want it really nice this year, but....

I tried last year by planting nice things in all the flower beds but my 2 own cats and all the others on our rd decided that all my hard work was destined to be their toilet for the summer and in the process dug everything up.

I tried moth balls and teabags which didn't keep them off, I planted a lavender plant as I thought the strong smell may deter them but it didn't.

Does anyone have any tips to keep them off?
If not I don't know if it's worth bothering this year, as they never went in my garden until I had planted all the nice things.

Thank you in advance :)

kckc
15-03-2008, 13:16
See tips here http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11187:thumbsup:

cal3549
15-03-2008, 13:18
You'll get a million ideas of how to keep cats off - but nothing is that effective. Why not plant up lots of big pots, and then stand these in the borders to fill gaps. Wilko's and Morrisons doing lots of cheap pots at the mo. You could plant up lily bulbs now, sow seeds on windowsills to pot up later (I'm doing asters, stocks, dwarf lupins and tomatoes amongst others). Summer bedding looks lovely in pots later in year too, cos you can use trailing flowers to disguise old or naff pots! Last year I used million bells (bought from Loxley nursery) and they were amazing!

Becky86
15-03-2008, 14:47
You wouldn't believe it but they even go in pots, I found one of my cats with it's paws on the floor and it's bottom perched into a pot!!
They are a nightmare!:mad:

doseydoodah
15-03-2008, 15:31
Spring is here, although it doesn't feel like it today, or at any other time this year so far...lol

I am just looking outside @ the garden and thinking that I want it really nice this year, but....

I tried last year by planting nice things in all the flower beds but my 2 own cats and all the others on our rd decided that all my hard work was destined to be their toilet for the summer and in the process dug everything up.

I tried moth balls and teabags which didn't keep them off, I planted a lavender plant as I thought the strong smell may deter them but it didn't.

If not I don't know if it's worth bothering this year, as they never went in my garden until I had planted all the nice things.

Go out in it & enjoy :D

bladesman123
15-03-2008, 15:43
You wouldn't believe it but they even go in pots, I found one of my cats with it's paws on the floor and it's bottom perched into a pot!!
They are a nightmare!:mad:

i cant get that image out of my head now lol :hihi:

doseydoodah
15-03-2008, 15:51
Go out in it & enjoy :D

Sorry couldn't resist :hihi: Try spikey twigs. Cats hate them.

Don_Kiddick
16-03-2008, 13:08
Lion manure is good for keeping cats off your garden.

Now all you need to do is catch a lion.

And Kat08

Dobbies have lots of cat deterrent - including the lion poo in the current 'cat'alogue (http://www.dobbies.co.uk/acatalog/Cat-Deterrents.html) :D

Don_Kiddick
16-03-2008, 13:11

Don Note - I love doing that :hihi:

Becky - I merged your enquiry with the huuge other one about cats mate :thumbsup:

Don_Kiddick
16-03-2008, 13:18
Sorry couldn't resist :hihi: Try spikey twigs. Cats hate them.

Actually I found this same tip in a gardening mag a few yeas ago & it does work.

I always save my rose & bramble prunings & dry them out.

Then I weave them into the hedge where creatures have crushed down a thoroughfare.

Chopped up they are good over seed beds too :) (twigs not cats) :hihi:

Vocal Neal
17-03-2008, 08:36
Hi I tryed a product called silent roar which I seen in teh local paper. Its actually pellets soaked on lions dung.

I ordered some from silent roar online is anyone wants to have a look at it.

I took a few days to work but there seem to be no cats messing in our garden now.

:)

Kat,

:help:Do you still have the box? Will you look on it and give me the manufacturers details. I am in Thailand.

Short of this I'll have to go to the zoo:)

Don_Kiddick
17-03-2008, 22:52
Kat,

:help:Do you still have the box? Will you look on it and give me the manufacturers details. I am in Thailand.

Short of this I'll have to go to the zoo:)

There you go my friend>> http://www.silentroaronline.com/

Hope hat helps? :)

Vocal Neal
18-03-2008, 01:30
Don,

Thanks but their website says

Silent Roar Online is run by J M Trades Ltd who have been in the garden industry and have been involved in plant nurseries for many years. We came across Silent Roar many years ago and found that it was not readily available to the public so we decided to make Silent Roar available to everyone. We buy direct for the manufactures and are one of the biggest retailers of Silent Roar in the uk. We are in a position where our strong relationship with the manufactures means we are able to buy at discounted prices and pass the saving onto you the customer.

What I was really looking for is the manufacturerso I could get an ex-works price for export. If there is nothing to indicate who that is on the box then I guess a trip to the local zoo is in order.

Wysseri
18-03-2008, 09:57
I use those small little wooden canes you get for tieing to plants to hold them up… Snap them in half or similar and place them around the garden, close enough to deter the cats. Seems to work for the most part… and if I notice that one's still managed to poo then I put another close to the area. The idea is that they stab their bum and you place them close enough together that the cat's bums are too big, usually every 6 inches.

Cats also love to poo in freshly dug or disturbed soil, so if you plant anything be sure to pat the soil down well so it doesn't look like it's been disturbed. Seems to work for me anyway.

Try using onions and other kitchen waste, that seems to work for me at least and I usually use onions, spring onions and leeks.

Don_Kiddick
18-03-2008, 13:08
Don,

Thanks but their website says

What I was really looking for is the manufacturerso I could get an ex-works price for export. If there is nothing to indicate who that is on the box then I guess a trip to the local zoo is in order.

Aww poo, missed that :( *must try harder...

sqkjo
23-03-2008, 11:35
hello all
i heard that if you put mothballs in the garden it keeps the cats off it worked at my last house

jacbaye
24-05-2009, 17:53
Seriously don't use mothballs - you could end up killing the cat and then you would have more mess to pick up!

See article here (http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/sections/home_garden/hg_home_improvement/article_429243.php) on it:

"According to the Animal Poison Control Center, the ingestion of just one mothball can cause serious problems in dogs and cats. Symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, seizures and blood disorders. Kidney failure and coma can develop in severe cases.
Also not good if you have kids as prolonged exposure can damage red blood cells."

Here is a website all about what you can try and what different types of cat deterrent (http://www.cat-deterrent.co.uk) are available.

Dhimmi
24-05-2009, 17:56
I solved the problem by urinating along my garden boundary. It may not work if you are female though due to different hormones, but you can always try it!

jacbaye
24-05-2009, 18:08
All in one go?! I don't think I could manage that.
I'd get some pretty odd looks from the neighbours! :D

Dhimmi
24-05-2009, 22:24
All in one go?! I don't think I could manage that.
I'd get some pretty odd looks from the neighbours! :DWhy, is it a funny shape? :hihi:

No, not all in one, you have to build-up a supply and use it when the weather is dry. Obviously it can't be delivered on draught as it were, as that would bring out the Police helicopter!

jacbaye
24-05-2009, 22:52
Alternatively you can see if your mates will come round for a 'p155 up'! :D

ochrebrook
06-04-2010, 17:12
I need to keep cats out of my garden. My two dogs just nearly killed our neighbour's cat, which they caught at the bottom of my garden. My garden is a mecca for cats, there are cats all around us. They come from all sides. My dogs are asleep most of the time but they do go in and out of the house several times a day, usually racing down the garden. They'd never actually caught anything till now. Now it's a serious incident. The cat's in cat hospital and will recover eventually. But then what? This has been, still is, a horrible incident and I want it never to happen again. But this IS my garden, and I want MY dogs to be able to roam free in it. Cats just go anywhere, but I want them not to be able to get in here anymore; for the sake of peace and tranquility all round.

mick12
23-06-2010, 12:17
i put down moth balls and it does work,they do smell but it does put them off big time !!!!!!

pins&needles
25-06-2010, 15:06
ive tried everything!!!!!! they just keep coming back. weve tried the lion poo, the citrus option, the little box that makes lion noises that apparently humans cant hear (tbh i think its just a box of nothingness in order to make more money).

so far nothing has worked and its driving me mad, having to pick up the cat poo from everywhere. we grow our own veg and herbs and dont want the cats all over them, we want to eat what we grown not just look at them :)

crashmepleas
25-06-2010, 15:11
ive tried everything!!!!!! they just keep coming back. weve tried the lion poo, the citrus option, the little box that makes lion noises that apparently humans cant hear (tbh i think its just a box of nothingness in order to make more money).

so far nothing has worked and its driving me mad, having to pick up the cat poo from everywhere. we grow our own veg and herbs and dont want the cats all over them, we want to eat what we grown not just look at them :)

Sounds like you need a dog!

taxman
25-06-2010, 21:44
I hung cd's around the garden and they worked for a bit but now I've resorted to the pump action water pistol.

hodgepodge
25-06-2010, 22:07
I hung cd's around the garden and they worked for a bit but now I've resorted to the pump action water pistol.

I once used a pump action water gun for keeping the squirrels off my bird table, I was hiding behend the garage trying to sneek up on them. Unfortunately the neighbours saw me> Oh how they laughed......:(

whisper
17-09-2010, 15:16
I have one of these in my garden and it definately works.. My first one broke a while back and I noticed cat poo started to appear in my garden again so I ordered a new one and it has stopped again...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-X-SONIC-CAT-DOG-FOX-DETERRENT-REPELLER-SCARER-/330275988444?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_ Pest_Control_CV&hash=item4ce5fba3dc

dagaul101
20-09-2010, 13:46
Maybe giving the cat something to play with, used to a an old cotton ball, but now the shops are coming up with all types of playthings for the cat to torture as a prey

taxman
22-09-2010, 17:15

Unfortunately I can't be around all the time and tonight I came home to find Collared Dove feathers scattered all over the garden. The cat owner next door is the sort of chav who empties her ashtray straight from her bedroom window into her garden and isn't the sort who would happily agree to put collars and bells on her un-neutered, flea ridden mogs.

Collared Doves mate for life, so somewhere there is a sad and lonely birdie tonight :mad: :(

sskirrrow
03-12-2010, 22:21

Moon Maide

Coleus Canina

Jeff!
14-04-2011, 21:11
I bought some "Silent Roar" for £8 yesterday on the recommendation of our local garden centre...
"The stuff you get at B&Q won't work....Silent Roar is the only thing that does works....Don't take our word for it, Customers keep coming back and buying more..."
THE RESULT? tonight I have fresh cat <removed> on the herb garden.
:rant:

Moonbird
17-04-2011, 09:43
Mod note!

Posts promoting cruelty and discussing ways of harming an animal are unacceptable and will not be tolerated on this forum.

officegirl
17-04-2011, 09:49
I use ground pepper bought in large quantities from the Chinese supermarket about 80p a 100g bag. It seems to be working well and I'm planting marigolds too - cats hate them.

Hope this helps

craigmason
17-04-2011, 15:46
MOD NOTE !
any offensive posts will be deleted and the person responsible will be banned

there are harmless ways to keep cats out of your garden like planting coleus canina
By Cait Johnson, Assistant Producer, Healthy Living Channels

We love our next-door neighbour's, but I think she’s trying to tell us something: She put moth balls all along the line between your yards, I guess to keep our kitties out of her garden. But moth balls are toxic!

Here are several easy, safe, and effective ways to deter cats from using your neighbour's garden as a litter box, but, unlike moth balls, they don’t pose a health hazard to cats or humans. Or, heck, you could do what my boss suggested and try releasing a whole herd of gophers or mice. Then your kitties will be the guests of honour! (Just kidding!)

1. There are many herbs that cats don’t like to be around, including lavender, rue, geranium, absinthe, and lemon-thyme. Also, a German professional gardener, Dieter Stegmaier of Essingen, has created a hybrid so repulsive to cats, they stay a yard away from it. It smells like schnapps to us, and is actually a pretty and hardy plant with blue flowers that bloom throughout most of the summer. Its Latin name is Coleus canina. You can order it through various mail order services

2. This mixture is easy to make and can be used anywhere you want to repel cats

2 parts cayenne pepper
3 parts dry mustard
5 parts flour

Simply mix together and sprinkle.

3. Use large flat river stones in your garden beds to make the soil less diggable, and so less attractive to cats. Besides, river stones are pretty. You can also use them in houseplant pots to keep the furry little darlings out of those.

4. Cats don’t like tea leaves, so empty your used ones onto the garden soil.

5. You could also try using a sprinkler that is activated by a motion-sensor. All it takes is a time or two of getting dowsed with water to deter any cat. It can work for intruders, too.

Trevs47
20-04-2011, 16:30
This is a really simple one to solve - get your own cat - especially as you already like them. :thumbsup:

My neighbours cats are digging holes in my lawn to deposit their waste. They do not attempt to cover it up and in the summer the smell is disgusting. I dont really want to get a cat as it would be for all the wrong reasons. Sonic repellants dont seem to work and covering the lawn with lemon peell is not something I would like.

Moonbird
19-05-2011, 21:42
tezjo I would just like to once again point people in the direction of posts 139 and 140, I really do not wish to keep repeating myself, do not repost!

Rosemary New
20-05-2011, 21:50
My father in law has a device that gives out a very high pitched noise that cannot be heard by most humans, but can be heard by cats. I understand the sound is painful for cats. Works for him!!!