Sign in to follow this  

Free knitting lessons

Whilst at John Lewis today I picked up a leaflet about free hour tutorials on loads of different techniques from basic to quite advanced. Ill try and summarise:

Beginners - casting on, basic stitches, increasing, decreasing, casting off and understanding patterns - Tues 23 May, Wed 28 June, Wed 16 Aug, Wed 6 Sept

Tension and shaping - how to check it and how to adjust it - Tues 20 June, 18 Jul, 12 Sept

Finishing 1 - mattress stitch, blocking and pressing, avoiding bumpy shoulder seams - Tues 4 Jul, Wed 24 May, Tues 8 Aug, Wed 13 Sept, Wed 20 Sept

Finishing 2 - one row button hole, picking up stitches, buttons and button hole bands, cast off button holes - Wed 14 June, Tues 15 Aug, Tues 19 Sept

Short row shaping - how to short row shape shoulder seams and cast off the back and front together - Tues 6 June, Tues 11 Jul, Wed 9 Aug

Knitting with beads and sequins - Wed 7 Jun, Wed 5 Jul, Tues 22 Aug

Colour 1 - fairisle knitting, using 2 colours, stranding, how to weave in - Wed 21 Jun, Tues 29 Aug

Colour 2 - Intarsia knitting - joining in a new colour, twisting yarn to avoid holes, using bobbins - Tues 27 Jun, Tues 5 Sept

Relax and knit - an open hour - Wed 19 Jul, Wed 30 Aug

Basic crochet - holding hook and yarn, chain, slip stitch, double crochet and treble - Tues 13 Jun, Wed 12 Jul, Wed 23 Aug

you need to book with Helen Moore by calling in to the knitting wool dept or phoning 0114 2768511 ext 4428. Tues sessions are 11.30 to 12.30 and Wed sessions are 5.30 to 6.30. Helen Moore is available for general assistance on Tuesdas 11-6 or Wednesdays 12 to 7

Hope thats useful

LisaH xxx

That's fantastic! Thanks for posting that. I really like sound of the Fairisle and Intarsia knitting sessions, and the one about short rows. Mmm. I'm due for a trip up the motorway, so I might use these as an excuse.

Thats great! Quite interested in the finishing ones: blocking and pressing and picking up stitches in particular, and the colour ones. Thanx for posting that Lisa! :)