Does anyone have a bent penny?

On the night of 8th October 1960 the good people of Sheffield turned out in force in the pouring rain to say goodbye to the city's last trams (until supertram came along 30 years later!) On that night many thousands of them put old pennies on the line for the trams to run over and distort to make a unique momento of the occasion. This activity can be seen in many of the photographs taken o that famous night.

So my questioon is this:- After many years involved with preserving the transport herritage of northern England, why have I never come across anyone who still has one of these pennies?

If you've got one, or any other bits of the tramway, I'd love to hear from you.

Andy.

Hi, I have a old bent penny that my mum and dad threw under the last tram, I havn't seen it for a while tho as it is put away in a box somewhere but i know i still have it.

We used to participate in this activity when I was just a boy, we had quite a few pennys that had been bent underneath the trams but sadly they all were disposed of many years ago.

Remember that night well, was involved in a "penny social" at Attercliffe Baptist Church you know the type of thing everything for a penny games sweets, cups of tea etc to raise funds and some enterprising soul put half pennies under the tram and sold them for a penny :)

Yep my dad still has his bent penny! he was at Millhouses on the last day of the "old" trams, was raining all night apparently! lol

8) Nah Den Ace..........

I think you should all have been deported to Australia for defacing the Queen's image!

BTW, I read somewhere that Drew Barrymore has a bent tuppence........

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Where can we see pictures of the last tram night. Are there any sites on the internet ??

Yes, I still have a penny and a halfpenny that I put on the lines under the last tram proccesion. I was 17 at the time, and remember it pi---d it down all day. I don't know if anybody remembers, but one of the tram drivers wore a dicky bow!

The illuminated trams looked fantastic, and the turn out was amazing, I think most people were sad to see the trams go, and they had a real send off. Me and my Dad stood outside the Town Hall, a huge cheer went up as each tram went past.

It's good that at least a couple have been preserved at Crich tram museum.

i had one, mom called it her lucky penny, i just passed it on to my youngest daughter

Hi me again i have one.