View Full Version : People who pretend to be sick for attention

Deavon
02-05-2006, 01:15
Right.

I have just spent the evening with a group of friends out on the town.

(To cut a long story short) Two of them are a couple and the girl could not cope with seeing her fella having a really good, normal time with all of us and decided to 'pass out'.

She then play-acted coming round and then acted all vulnerable and upset and had everybody fawn over her like a new born lamb. Then she demanded to be taken home by said boyfriend wo needless to say was no longer having a good time (mission accomplished).

Made me think... I've seen this before.

Has anyone else come across someone who pretends to be sick for attention?
Perhaps you are you someone who has done something similar?
What's it all about?

(Maybe most people haven't come across this phenomina... maybe I just keep bad company?)

P.S
Earlier tonight I promised myself that I would not do this rant on the old SF as it will put me in danger of being perceived as a nasty and heartless person. But, having sat on my hands all evening and unable to bear it anymore; here I am! (Forgive me, nice SF peopes)

Don_Kiddick
02-05-2006, 01:21
Seen it loads mate - they're called ''pseudo fits'' or ''pseudo feints''.

They're nutters & should be best avoided - nay scorned.

You have done right :thumbsup:

Strix
02-05-2006, 01:45
How about somebody who uses the health of their own dying mother to gain the attention of a potential boyfriend?

And to make matters worse - insisted the doctor strung out the death throes by overriding her sister's decision about medication (her sister also being a nurse).

Oh, and left her dying mother's bedside to go out dancing with new bloke?

.... And rubbed her hands in glee when talking about how much she'd inherited

Yes, drama queens are best avoided like the plague :rant:

Don_Kiddick
02-05-2006, 01:48
.... And rubbed her hands in glee when talking about how much she'd inherited

I have a tin of that ready for when I win the big one on the Premium Bonds :thumbsup:

Strix
02-05-2006, 02:03
Just don't eat it Don - it might make you sick, or induce fainting ;)

handsome man
02-05-2006, 02:31
deavon id have to say this person is possibly very insecure and needs a certain amount of attention perhaps some one who she likes and trusts should delicatly advise her to seek some sort of help in a proffesional manner ie doc we all have problems of some description im sure and some times we all need a little help and if we have good friends they will be there to help

tulip
02-05-2006, 04:18
Munchausen's syndrome!

Alex C.
02-05-2006, 04:50
seen it quite a few times from various people who can't bear to see someone having fun in a group without them... nothing you can do about it really

koenigsinger
02-05-2006, 09:03
I'm willing to make a substantial bet that not only was she faking it, but that by the time they were in the taxi home she was fine and happy and chatting away ten to the dozen.....

seen this behaviour exhibited many times, by both men and women, it sometimes is a cry for help, but more often than not a manipulative self serving attention seeker.

:rant:

ANGELUS
02-05-2006, 10:31
Right.

I have just spent the evening with a group of friends out on the town.

(To cut a long story short) Two of them are a couple and the girl could not cope with seeing her fella having a really good, normal time with all of us and decided to 'pass out'.

She then play-acted coming round and then acted all vulnerable and upset and had everybody fawn over her like a new born lamb. Then she demanded to be taken home by said boyfriend wo needless to say was no longer having a good time (mission accomplished).

Made me think... I've seen this before.

Has anyone else come across someone who pretends to be sick for attention?
Perhaps you are you someone who has done something similar?
What's it all about?

(Maybe most people haven't come across this phenomina... maybe I just keep bad company?)

P.S
Earlier tonight I promised myself that I would not do this rant on the old SF as it will put me in danger of being perceived as a nasty and heartless person. But, having sat on my hands all evening and unable to bear it anymore; here I am! (Forgive me, nice SF peopes)

I like your style Deavon - and I would not perceive you as nasty and heartless. That would be my stylie! :thumbsup:

I like to read people's opinions of things just like this and the more the better on the SF I say!

babychickens
02-05-2006, 10:32
I have an ex boyfriend who used to do this every time he had a single drink inside him. He really did enjoy a good melodrama, it was like going out with a really camp drama queen guy but who had regressed to the age of 5. Getting rid of him was the best thing I ever did.

SupraSteve
02-05-2006, 12:42
I've only heard of this once before, and the girl in question was an absolute first rate loony and persistent liar - I don't think she ever told the truth and my mate just believed her and got sucked further and further into a relationship that nearly destroyed him, she even turned him agaist those who cared for him.

This muppet doesn't sound as bad, but I'd still confront her and show her up to be the eejit she's being. I feel sorry for your mate (the fella who's seeing the loony girl).

CherryNicole
02-05-2006, 12:45
Wow, I've never seen anyone do that before! How do you know she was faking? I should learn from these drama queens :D

absynthfairy
02-05-2006, 12:53
I'm always being called a drama queen lovingly by my mates but I would never ever fake fainting, I learned from the boy who cried wolf....:loopy:

lexatron
02-05-2006, 13:01
Munchausen's syndrome!

If i'm correct i think Munchausen's is when the person actually makes themselves ill for attention, rather than just faking it.

And in reply to the original question, i lived with a girl for two years who did this. Also faked suicide attempts and drove off drunk when anyone annoyed her to make people worry. Pathetic really.

CherryNicole
02-05-2006, 13:04
Actually, I do know a girl who used to always storm off for attention, we stopped following her eventually and now she's decided she doesn't like us anymore, ah, such is life

owdlad
02-05-2006, 13:08
These people who use an illness as an excuse for their behaviour should be ignored, and they would soon learn not to do it.

SimonS
02-05-2006, 15:28
QUOTE (To cut a long story short) Two of them are a couple and the girl could not cope with seeing her fella having a really good, normal time with all of us and decided to 'pass out'.

She then play-acted coming round and then acted all vulnerable and upset and had everybody fawn over her like a new born lamb. Then she demanded to be taken home by said boyfriend wo needless to say was no longer having a good time (mission accomplished). QUOTE

It's good old fashioned attention seeking.

I know a few people who (when bored and lonely) have a different illness everyday or talk as though everyone is picking on them.

They play the victim because they think the attention they get from their "illness" is the same as when someone loves you. It is similar to Munchausens.

It's something you expect from 2 year olds.

The trouble is it is so hard to confront someone.
a) Because everyone attention seeks sometimes
b) Because you don't want to seem heartless
c) Because it might just be a temporary thing

It is a nightmare though!

Zafar
02-05-2006, 15:45
Reminds me of my wife.......
everytime we have an argument, or something doesn't go her way, she ends up having an 'episode'.

To be fair, I just end up with the 'moodies'.

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh

Z

Swan_Vesta
02-05-2006, 15:54
I know someone like this - Things aren't going how they want so they have 'an episode' in an attempt to manipulate the situation to a point where they hold all the aces.

This person had a funny five minutes the other week and in a moment of truly inspired genius for which I'll have an undying admiration of the guy, my mate Dave looked up from his paper and said "For f***s sake, stop acting like a pathetic c***, stop fannying about and sort your life out!"

There was a moment of stunned silence before two things happened. A. The offended party stormed out blubbing like some kind of hormonally imbalanced nut & B. We were all overcome by hysterics.

Draggletail
02-05-2006, 15:58
Munchausen's syndrome!
Isn't that the one were you harm someone else to gain attention by default, tulip?

lizzmobile
02-05-2006, 16:00
Had a colleague like this in London. She feigned positive breast cancer results to gain attention from the people in the office then when we'd all fawned all over her for while, it died down. Somebody asked her about it a while later and out came some story about getting the results mixed up with another person's.

She would also talk very quietly, so you had to give her attention asking her to repeat what she'd said in order to hear whatever lie whe was spinning next. She was also the type that would stay and stay and stay at your parties, sleep over and then stay all day the next day. One time, I had to get into my car (befooooooore I'd passed my test) pretend I was going to see a friend who had been dumped, and drop her off at Clapham Junction! Luckily it was close by so I just drove around the block and safely back home, but I was very scared.

Swan_Vesta
02-05-2006, 16:01
Isn't that the one were you harm someone else to gain attention by default, tulip?

Munchausen's syndrome by proxy. The classic being that the parent does stuff to the child to bring on the symptoms of 'mystery' illnesses.

nick2
02-05-2006, 16:03
Munchausen's syndrome by proxy. The classic being that the parent does stuff to the child to bring on the symptoms of 'mystery' illnesses.

My mum did that, if only I'd realised her casserole was a cry for help.

handsome man
02-05-2006, 17:33
As i said thiese are people in need of help and the first thing they need to see is that they have a problem a big part of it must be a severe lack of security and and self worth and in some cases friends possibly or an inability to communicate its easier to scorn these people then help them i guess ?

Strix
03-05-2006, 02:01
How about you all being ridiculously attentive to her next time she's out?

Start before she does, and then she wont be able to get off first base.

It'll expose her to her boyfriend for what she is :D

Kthebean
03-05-2006, 07:46
I have been on the other side of this - I was accused of 'faking' when I fainted in a nightclub. I'd only had two pints which was why the girl in question thought I was faking it. What she didn't realise was that I'd also done a split shift at work that day and hadn't eaten much, also it was pretty hot inside the club. She was (and probably still is) convinced I was faking it to get attention. Well what can you do. It is a bit different from the situation you wrote about because I didn't spend ages whinging I just straight out fainted, hehe.

Deavon
03-05-2006, 08:30
Well, I guess there a lot of people who do actually get sick when they are out. (Especially if 5+ bottles of pop have been introduced into the mix)! :)

I was talking about this with a friend yesterday and he agreed that there are a lot of people who pretend to be sick, and not just when you're out.

Apparently some people feel that they are due around 4 sick leaves per year at work. That somehow they have to cash in their sick days before the year is over! How strange.

Also I have worked with someone who claimed that she had ME! (A delibitating illness that means you are always sick). She used to talk about her health every day and regularly ducked out of any jobs needing done citing sniffels or bad back or sore legs or migraine etc. It was very, very vexing!

tulip
03-05-2006, 08:33
Munchausen's syndrome by proxy. The classic being that the parent does stuff to the child to bring on the symptoms of 'mystery' illnesses. Yes, thats why it's called by proxy. People who fake/cause injury to themselves is Munchausens syndrome. Causing or faking illness for attention is a serious mental illness. I've known of people who swallowed sewing needles and all kinds of horrible things to get themselves into hospital. 'By proxy' is doing it to someone else.

Zafar
03-05-2006, 09:01
I know someone like this - Things aren't going how they want so they have 'an episode' in an attempt to manipulate the situation to a point where they hold all the aces.

This person had a funny five minutes the other week and in a moment of truly inspired genius for which I'll have an undying admiration of the guy, my mate Dave looked up from his paper and said "For f***s sake, stop acting like a pathetic c***, stop fannying about and sort your life out!"

There was a moment of stunned silence before two things happened. A. The offended party stormed out blubbing like some kind of hormonally imbalanced nut & B. We were all overcome by hysterics.

Yup deja vous!

Funnily enough I reacted in a similar fashion....5 mins later it was a miraculous recovery.

The thing is though, what really worried me is what happens when one day its for real ? The boy who cried wolf comes to mind.

Z

bluebird62
03-05-2006, 12:41
A name given to my mother by my step-father is Drama Queen. she always acts ill , especially on my nephews 3rd bithday, when he could have no friends round only adults. my husband calls her lillo lill , the reason is she is always layed down asleep, she works 2 hours in a morning, 2 hours in the afternoon and in between this hours when she is not asleep she is has more things wrong with her than sick animals down at the P D S A, the truth is she is all fur coat and no knickers, and to make thingts worse, my grandfather, my mums own father is exactley the same. i and my sister are registered disabled my sister having caught Adisons disease through a blood transfer on the birth of my nephew and theres me but i am not going into my problems. my mum has all the tests done to her by the consultants at the hospital and each test has come back negative, and she keeps saying that the doctors are wrong.
i think this is the reason for the play acting from both my mum and grandfather.if they knew the pain and problems that a disabled person has to endure then people like these might straighten themselves up. we have watched them both and studied them, like the time my grandfather was having an heart attack, i screamed at keith to phone the ambulance, soon as my grandfather heard me he got up and ran to us in the kitchen, all he kept saying was i'm alright now. we were both flabbergasted at his quick recovery, i was so shocked at his nasty play acting we walked out and came home. i am ashamed to see them both acting in this way , just for sympathy. it is not enough that my husband has to deal with me, but for my mother to expect my husband to go down to my grandfathers everyday and cook him a meal and do the cleaning and run errands etc when it is her own father. my mother is the only wife and mother who i know who does not go shopping any longer , my father takes my sister and her son to do the shopping on a saturday, this was a statement made to my husband which he will never forget.

mr.blaze
03-05-2006, 12:56
Annoying this is, so are people who are ill but don't shut up about it.

Strix
03-05-2006, 23:13
Actually - I was just thinking about the 'anxiety attacks' thread.

It's some peoples' play acting that means that those with a genuine sudden attack of 'can't cope' get such a bad press.

Many of these anxieties come to the fore when food becomes the focus of a social group, for instance when a group who have gone out for a drink suddenly decide to all go for a pizza. The person in the group who has food issues suddenly finds themselves in a situation which they would have politely declined to take part in, had they known this situation would come about.

purdyamos
03-05-2006, 23:26
I suffer anxiety and PTSD and I've had people accuse me of putting it on when I've had attacks. Would they say the same to an epileptic or someone with angina? The trouble is, to avoid a scene, if I take myself away out of sight of people, I might then get accused of attention seeking by making myself absent and forcing everyone to wonder where I've gone !? I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't.

SatanInHeels
04-05-2006, 07:47
a lass we were at school with would do that all the time. everytime we went out and she had a few sniffs of alcohol or cought a tiny whiff of 'something' being smoked she would be on the floor n suddenly be so, so drunk etc. as soon as shes got enuff attention for it though she would be fine! could get very annoying at times

tulip
05-05-2006, 16:13
If i'm correct i think Munchausen's is when the person actually makes themselves ill for attention, rather than just faking it.

And in reply to the original question, i lived with a girl for two years who did this. Also faked suicide attempts and drove off drunk when anyone annoyed her to make people worry. Pathetic really.
Sometimes they make themselves sick other times they pretend to have an illness to get themselves into hospital. They have surgery for no good reason too.

There is a big difference from having munchausen's syndrome and being a drama queen/king, I agree.

Shiesh
05-05-2006, 16:20
An old mate back in the 80's would do this all the time !!

She was a diabetic and would 'cry wolf' about hypo's and stuff. I never dared disbelieve her so I would always give her the benefit of the doubt and leave a party early to see her home etc

Eventually I got fed up and made excuses to avoid going out with her - she soon got the message!!!!

:thumbsup:

Jimbob1989
05-05-2006, 16:27
There was a program on the other night about shoplifting in manchester I think. There was a young woman who threw herself to the floor and pretended to have a fit when she got caught, think they hoped they would take her to hospital and she could get away. Some crazy people about now a days :loopy:

Shazbat
05-05-2006, 20:59
I was told about someone just this week who dials 999 when she has a severe migraine. The irony is that she's a civilian 999 operator :suspect:

maggie389
05-05-2006, 21:24
I suffer anxiety and PTSD and I've had people accuse me of putting it on when I've had attacks. Would they say the same to an epileptic or someone with angina? The trouble is, to avoid a scene, if I take myself away out of sight of people, I might then get accused of attention seeking by making myself absent and forcing everyone to wonder where I've gone !? I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't.

Isuffer anxiety and panic attacks and nobody knows what its like to have them .so unless they have experienced them they havnt got a clue ignore them,they only have to hope they dont suffer one day . my doctor told me it is an illness like any other.

tulip
06-05-2006, 04:19
Isuffer anxiety and panic attacks and nobody knows what its like to have them .so unless they have experienced them they havnt got a clue ignore them,they only have to hope they dont suffer one day . my doctor told me it is an illness like any other. Your doctor is right. I suffer from panic attacks and try to push myself into situations where I feel the most vunerable. It doesn't work. It makes me feel worse but with me I'm alway trying to prove to myself that I'm not as inadequate as feel. I get so fed up with myself.

Only people who suffer from anxiety attacks will understand - I'm constantly surprised at how many people have the same problem as I do. A lot of people won't admit that they suffer. In my eyes, you are brave to admit to it. Going to see a doctor is the best thing you can do. I put up with this illness for years before I went to seek medical advice - it's the best thing I ever did for myself!

XX
Sorry, I've gone off topic. Make sure someone is really faking it before you judge them. I have been in places and said "I have to get out of here or I will faint" The last thing I wanted was attention - I just couldn't cope with the shaking, tunnel vission & heart pounding feeling!