Knitting Gauge/Tension Question

Here's my problem: I tend to knit fairly tightly, so before I start a pattern I always do a gauge/tension swatch. Invariably, I have to go up to a larger size needle in order to get the specified stitches per 10 cm.

At the minute, I'm working on a pattern which uses DK yarn, and has a specified gauge/tension of 22 stitches and 28 rows per 10 cm. I've changed from 4 mm to 5 mm needles in order to obtain the specified 22 stitches, but this has thrown off the row count. I have 24 rows per 10 cm, as of course the stitches are a little longer vertically now I'm using the larger needles.

I know that many knitters say that it's the stitch count, not the row count, in the specified gauge/tension which is important, but I'm convinced that the resultant fabric is looking a little looser than it should, even though the stitch count is correct. I guess that this is inevitable due to the elongated stitches.

Any ideas how to rectify this, and get my row count in order?

That seems to be my problem too. I did my tension square yesterday and the pattern says 18 st and 24 rows to 10cm. Mine was very close it was 18st and 25 rows so I don't really want to change to a bigger needle BUT the pattern I'll be following is knitted sideways for the fronts and the back. The sleeves are knitted conventionally. How much of a difference will this extra row make? What can you suggest?

That seems to be my problem too. I did my tension square yesterday and the pattern says 18 st and 24 rows to 10cm. Mine was very close it was 18st and 25 rows so I don't really want to change to a bigger needle BUT the pattern I'll be following is knitted sideways for the fronts and the back. The sleeves are knitted conventionally. How much of a difference will this extra row make? What can you suggest?

Well, here's a little complication to add to it: I had to change back down to the specified 4 mm needles once I got going on the pattern itself!

I'd done a few test gauge swatches using 4 mm, 4.5 mm and 5 mm needles. Only the 5 mm needles gave specified stitch count. So, I went ahead and used the 5 mm needles to start on the pattern. As I knit, I noticed that the fabric was looking a little loose. Actually a lot loose. I checked the gauge again, and the stitch count was way off; too few stitches this time, ie. the needles were too big, despite what the gauge swatch said!

I ripped it all out and started again, with the specified 4 mm needles. The gauge was then perfect! :confused:

I read in the Vouge knitting book that this can sometimes happen, because some people knit a little more loosely when they're working on a larger number of stitches, as you'd get in a pattern, and tighter when they're working on a smaller number of stitches, like in the gauge swatch. They advise that even though your gauge swatch was spot on, always to check the gauge again once you've knitted aabout 10 cm of your pattern.

To go back to your question about row count, there are two possible problems if the row count is way off. First, it might mean that the garment ends up a little longer than specified, if your stitches are a bit long (ie you have fewer rows than specified in the pattern's gauge). Second, it could mean that when you have to join pieces that have a bit of shaping to them, like adding sleeves to the body of the garment, the fit might be a bit off.

It's difficult to know what to suggest. When I do gauge swatches, the row count is always a little off, even when the stitch count is perfect. I don't think it will be too much of a problem, if it's only out by a little bit though.

Sorry not to be of more help.

If I may suggest. I don't knit. Not now, but could your problem be resolved by changing the thickness of the wool?

I work with needle and thread but have knitted in the past.

If I may suggest. I don't knit. Not now, but could your problem be resolved by changing the thickness of the wool?

I work with needle and thread but have knitted in the past.

Might do, if you stay roughly within the same weight of wool, but you might alter the characteristics of the knitted fabric - adding too much drape or sturdiness - if you get the same gauge with a wool thinner or thicker than the weight specified in the pattern.

This thread is certainly a blast from the past. Can't remember what I was knitting now. My gauge swatches still lie to me regularly though.

Good to ''chat.. to a crafty lady.

Enjoy your knitting.