World Fire Fighter Games Sheffield

hi everyone, the world fire fighter games are coming to sheffield

28 august 2004 4sept 2004.

i am leading a team of 6 male aussie fire fighters from the gold coast area( surfers paradise) just sth of brisbane.

we are looking for accomodation and things to do at night and day.

we are considering commuting from london each day but are unsure how far it is away it is time wise on train.

what sort of cost is b& b or would letting a flat or house be better.

also looking to make contact with locals to see how the locals have a good time.

hope to talk to you soon

rabbit

You might want to check out the uni accomodation:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/conferences/self_catering.html

I wouldn't recommend commuting from London. The train takes about 2 hours and will probably cost you around £30 a journey. I'm sure you can arrange something cheaper and easier here in Sheffield. You might also try emailing [email protected] and asking them for a list of local B&Bs. Most B&Bs will offer a discount if you stay for more than a few nights.

Also, in case you haven't seen it already:

http://www.titanserver.co.uk/Firefightergames/intro.asp

I lived in Auckland for a while and thought of commuting to Sydney every day on the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Seriously though, commuting is a non-starter as it's 2 hours plus on the train. Renting a house would be cheapest if you are here for any length of time.

I see Geoff got in before me with some useful info.

Don't even think about commuting from London to Sheffield everyday. Not only are the trains extremely unreliable but it would be expensive aswell. It would take probably 3 hours or more at a guess.

You could get hotel or B&B accomodation pretty cheap.

Try this link:

http://www.sheffieldcity.co.uk/accomm2/hotels.asp?location=CC

All of these hotels are in the centre of town.

As for things to do, Sheffield has loads on offer from swimming to ski-ing, ice skating to bowling, bars, nightclubs and restaurants galore, shopping, cinemas and art galleries, aswell as the new winter gardens.

Try here for information on everything to do in Sheffield:

http://www.sheffieldcity.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

thanks everyone,

lots of usefull tips hopefully we'll catch up when we're over.

talk to you soon

rabbit

Have you not tried Fire fighters in the Sheffield, they may be able to put you up.

I have a friend who is a Fire Fighter, I will have a word with him. They may be able to put you up in the station.

What sort of events will be taking place? and where is it at.

Originally posted by "mikey"

What sort of events will be taking place? and where is it at.

Check the link I posted ^^

The Winter gardens will make you feel right at home as it is full of Australian and New Zealand plants. Just in case you get home sick.

ahh a well needed rest, 830 am here

i am looking forward to coming over and know the rest of the team is as well, in our team we have competetors in world toughest firefigter a seies of gruelling events held over two days. i woldnt even contempate it but some guys and girls get off pushing their bodys to the limit. (NO thanks)

ill be competing in swimming events,so what theswimming facilitys like, in aussie we have indoor and outdoor pools.

also at august september time of the year what is the expectant weather conditions.

i dont think the winter gardens is really up our alley, maybe more suited to cyclists.

rabbit

Originally posted by "rabbit"

ahh a well needed rest, 830 am here

i am looking forward to coming over and know the rest of the team is as well, in our team we have competetors in world toughest firefigter a seies of gruelling events held over two days. i woldnt even contempate it but some guys and girls get off pushing their bodys to the limit. (NO thanks)

ill be competing in swimming events,so what theswimming facilitys like, in aussie we have indoor and outdoor pools.

also at august september time of the year what is the expectant weather conditions.

i dont think the winter gardens is really up our alley, maybe more suited to cyclists.

rabbit

Yeh but you take all that for granted maybe looking at our snow covered ladscape in winter may be up your street.

By the way snow is white, cold and slippy and falls in the Northern hemasphere.

You Aussies have it to good.

Augast and Sept are about the best months of the year here about the same as your winters.

Grrrrr not fair. :x

Originally posted by "rabbit"

rabbit

well, i assume it'll be held in "ponds forge" which is an international indoor swimming pool :)

are you guys for real, our winter which is at the early onset now, temps will get down to min 12 max 27 i still go to the surf, and snow what the hell is that. never seen it .

seen plenty of crystal clear water, golden sand, bikini babes etc

what the hell am i thinking going to sheffield hahahaha.

:? :shock:

honestly what temps should i expect,

crisp clear morning here, 21 deg shirt off, pair of shorts on, got my sunnies on,

about to go for a walk.

same ol same ol

can i expect the same in sheffield.

rabbit