What has the world come to?

I've just been in to the Walk-In Clinic at the RHH and been seen by a male nurse. In order to listen to my chest, he had to get a woman off reception to act as a chaperone!

What in the name of all that's Holy is that about? Well, I know exactly what it's about but seriously???? What's happened to this country that some poor male nurse (and for the record, a male nurse in a very funky wheelchair with flashing wheels) has to get a woman to watch him treat another woman :rant:

I've just been in to the Walk-In Clinic at the RHH and been seen by a male nurse. In order to listen to my chest, he had to get a woman off reception to act as a chaperone!

What in the name of all that's Holy is that about? Well, I know exactly what it's about but seriously???? What's happened to this country that some poor male nurse (and for the record, a male nurse in a very funky wheelchair with flashing wheels) has to get a woman to watch him treat another woman :rant:

Interesting. I wonder if he would have to do the same if it was a male patient. I would have to admit that I would want a chaperone if I was being examined by some of the male nurses I have seen.

Because there are some sad, pathetic girls that set out to look for the opportunity to claim sexual harrassment, and probably get compensation for it.

Its standard proceedure to protect the patients from abuse and the doctors and nurses from false allegations. I think its a great idea - checks and balances all round. You can't trust someone just cos they are a nurse or a doctor and I'd always prefer to have a chaperone.

The receptionist was there just as much to protect the male nurse as much as she is you. Didn't this all come about after there were a series of legal actions against doctors and nurses? I do think its stupid. don't get me started on why the world sucks though, we'd be here for ever :D

There are also lots of cases of doctors and nurses abusing their positions of trust with vulnerable women. Its there to protect innocent parties on both sides. Nobody wants another Harold Shipman do they.

My mother recently had a doctor's appointment to discuss "womans issues". Unfortunatly the appointment was with a male doctor who refused to examine her and told her to book another appointment with a female doctor. This lead to a delay of several days before her treatment could start.

According to the website for my own doctors, all the doctors there are female (I realise there may be male doctors whose names are not listed on the website). How would I go on if I needed to be examined in this case? Would I have to go to a different doctor? :confused:

No wonder waiting lists and casualty take forever!

Not sure andy depends on whether you minded having your bits on show to a lady doctor, hehe. I don't really mind being examined by either gender doctor cos they're just doing their jobs and its hardly sexual is it. I expect if you wanted to be examined by a male doctor you would be able to go to a different GP.

Its a shame about your mum though - the male doctor in the uni practice is fine with examining you if there is a nurse present - maybe that man has had a bad experience?

Not sure andy depends on whether you minded having your bits on show to a lady doctor, hehe. I don't really mind being examined by either gender doctor cos they're just doing their jobs and its hardly sexual is it. I expect if you wanted to be examined by a male doctor you would be able to go to a different GP.

Wouldn't bother me. If I had a problem down there I'd just want it sorting - I wouldn't care who saw.

Its a shame about your mum though - the male doctor in the uni practice is fine with examining you if there is a nurse present - maybe that man has had a bad experience?

Having the nurse present wasn't given as an option. She was simply told to re-book. What's particularly annoying is that she told the receptionist that she wanted to see the doctor about womans problems, that would obviously need an examination, but the receptionist still offered an appointment with a male doctor.

How incompetent, can she change surgeries?