Sign in to follow this  

Self patterning sock yarn - grumble:(

Was knitting away last night at sock 2 - was really pleased with how well matched it was when I checked on Sunday after turning the heel. Halfway down the foot last night though things dont look right and I have a close look to see that a whole section of the pattern is missing and had been replaced with a short bit of very dark yarn - Im guessing the yarn got stuck when it was 'printed' and all the colours got put on top of each other. So I had to start pulling the damn thing apart to remove the offending area - cutting out the bad yarn and rejoining new so that pattern was right again - no way was I going to junk a few weeks work:( Hope the join doesnt feel too bad when I wear it:( Dont think Ill buy any more self patterning!

LisaH xxx

What a pain. That's realy strange though. I've never come across that before, and I've used quite a bit of self-patterning yarn. I think you've just been unlucky. Do you still have the offending bit of yarn? Maybe you could send it back to the shop with a note about what happened. They might send you a voucher or something. You could even try the manufacturer, see what they have to say about it.

unfortunately I put it in the bin and it was collected today - didnt even take a photo - duh!

LisaHxxx

Doesn't bode well I tried knittting the bolero pattern out of Simply Knitting April issue. Sheepishly says"I don't live near Sheffield but in rural Aberdeenshire" had to order the wool from the internet because there are NO shops in Scotland selling it. I followed the pattern to find out that there was a mistake in it and you don't use the wool double for the body just the ribbing!!!!! Obviously I ran out of wool and contacted the suppliers who were very helpful and said they could send me more p&p free as it wasn't my fault. Whilst I was getting over the disappointment I bought some self patterning regia sock wool and have started to knit with this. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to me!!!

turra21, I've used the Regia self-patterning sock wool (mine was the 6-ply), and it was fine. Didn't have a problem with it; unless you count the fact that I used it for my first 'proper' pair of socks, so it took a bit of getting used to. I'm sure LisaH was just very unfortunate to have come across what sounds like a manufacturing error.

It's a bugger about that Simply Knitting pattern though. I've tried to get into the habit of checking magazine patterns on the internet first before starting out on them. Interweave Knits magazine is very good at publishing corrections on their web site if an error has been found in the pattern after it's ben printed. I've yet to find the Simply Knitting web site though, apart from the publisher's official blurb about it.

I'm in Leicestershire, and I have to order at least 95% of my yarn and knitting whatsits from internet shops. The nearest branch of John Lewis is in Nottingham, so it's a pain having to go out there every time I fancy buying some yarn. There is a yarn shop in Leicester market, but they only seem to stock Patons and Sirdar. My other 'local' yarn shop is 'Blackberry Yarns' in Mountsorrel. Although the woman who owns the shop is lovely, and the service and prices are excellent, I still find that I can get a much broader selection of yarns by buying in internet shops.

Hi

This was Socka and Ive not heard of anyone with similar problems with any of the sock yarns so dont worry. even though I live in Sheffield, I buy 100% of my wool over the Internet as although its a city Sheffield is devoid of wool shops selling the lovely wool I like - dont think anyone here sells nice sock yarn ...I could be wrong though;)

LisaH xxx