View Full Version : 'midnight sun' box

mike-s
03-10-2012, 14:10
Does anybody have experience of the 'midnight sun' box by awe energy of middlewood rd? It's a box which stores power from your solar panels to use when dark. Any news on price, efficiency etc?.

KenH
03-10-2012, 16:53
Sounds like what might be called a "battery". I wonder if perhaps it might also be a hugely expensive battery?

Either that or lots of mirrors or infinite size.

mumkin
03-10-2012, 17:09
Does anybody have experience of the 'midnight sun' box by awe energy of middlewood rd? It's a box which stores power from your solar panels to use when dark. Any news on price, efficiency etc?.

Would have to be a hell of a size (amp/hrs) to generate enough power (240 vac) via an inverter to power a house during the hours of darkness. (Fridge/freezer, TV, lights kettle, cooker, computer, heating maybe). it's a hell of a claim!!

mumkin
04-10-2012, 08:20
Having looked at the diagram (http://www.aweenergy.com/midnight_sun.php) it seems the power from the solar cells (DC) goes directly to an inverter to be converted to AC......and then to an accumulator (battery) via a charging system/relay which transforms the AC back to DC. Now this is where I get a bit confused as I run a similar sort of system for leisure purposes where the battery is charged directly from the solar panels and then via an inverter to the 230vAC system.

Perhaps this system needs explaining a bit more, more than what is on the package!!

almera20d
13-01-2013, 14:10
I had a so called presentation the cost is 5500 for 9kw storage of which you can only use 5 kw all stored in gell batteries plus another inverter and a box of tricks, battery service when duff is 75

Josoap38
29-03-2013, 17:22
The cost as I understand is 5,500 plus VAT at 20%. I also understand that when the solar panels are producing they charge the batteries, I also understand that if the solar panels are not producing enough the batteries are charged from the national grid which sounds a bit defeating. I wonder if any potential customer would be told this.