View Full Version : Warfarin Tablets...anyone taking them?

shoeshine
24-04-2006, 15:34
Been for another blood test today and I asked if the INR target was set at different levels for different people. Apparently they are.

Are you precribed Warfarin? If so, do you know your medical INR target?

My target is 2.5.............

And other peeps, yes I know it's also used for vermin control......that's probably why they gave me the tablets in the first place......:)

But feel free to tell a few Warfarin/Vermin jokes if you wish, we users may be thin-blooded but thickskinned.............:hihi:

Speedy_Jim
24-04-2006, 15:40
My girlfriend's INR target was 2.0. Took lots of trial and error with the dosage to get it stable - it fluctuates a lot. She ended up having different amounts each day of the week to make up to a weekly average of some very un-round number.

The amount you drink makes a big difference to stability - it's better to drink a constant amount (like 1 glass of wine per day) or cut it out entirely, than to drink as and when you feel like it. Oh, and make sure to drink plenty of water :)

shoeshine
24-04-2006, 15:46
My girlfriend's INR target was 2.0. Took lots of trial and error with the dosage to get it stable - it fluctuates a lot. She ended up having different amounts each day of the week to make up to a weekly average of some very un-round number.

The amount you drink makes a big difference to stability - it's better to drink a constant amount (like 1 glass of wine per day) or cut it out entirely, than to drink as and when you feel like it. Oh, and make sure to drink plenty of water :)

I was introduced to it over 2 yrs ago. I was attending blood rests every week, and yes it takes quite a while to stabilise........for the last nearly 12 months, my tests have been cut back to once every 2 to 3 months. I agree with the other advice Speedy_Jim. Thanks for responding here.

neeeeeeeeeek
24-04-2006, 16:14
I know you can't take quite a few herbal suppliments if your taking Warfarin, and certainly don't take St Johns Wort. Don't know much else tho.

Jimbob1989
24-04-2006, 16:16
My step grandfather takes them, they cause him a lot of trouble and make operations a pain.

shoeshine
24-04-2006, 16:21
I know you can't take quite a few herbal suppliments if your taking Warfarin, and certainly don't take St Johns Wort. Don't know much else tho.

I believe vitamin E supplements are to be avoided, and also Cranberry Juice.

Unfortunately the multivitamin pills always seem to contain vitamin E........so they are out.

shoeshine
24-04-2006, 16:24
My step grandfather takes them, they cause him a lot of trouble and make operations a pain.

Also certain Dental Treatments can be a problem too.........

sheff_minx
24-04-2006, 16:26
Caused a lot of problems for my grandad aswel. But that was down to the inadequacy of the doctors who were treating him at the time rather than the drug itself which did its job perfectly (the problem was that my grandad didn't actually need to take Warfarin in the first place :rant: :roll:)

uncleheed
24-04-2006, 18:22
Cant have cranberries.Juice either.

Dont know why,but the missus was on it last year (DVT treatment),and there was quite a list of stuff she couldnt have

bladesgirl
24-04-2006, 18:52
I have been on Warfarin now since I had a DVT last July, my INR target is 2.5 :) I still go for blood tests every few weeks.

shoeshine
24-04-2006, 19:05
I have been on Warfarin now since I had a DVT last July, my INR target is 2.5 :) I still go for blood tests every few weeks.

2.5..........snap..we have 2 things in common, bladesgirl :thumbsup:

I usually go to Rotherham General Hospital for mine, but will be switching to my local Doctor's Surgery soon. I will miss the staff at RGH, they have been great.........

bladesgirl
24-04-2006, 19:08

I usually go to Rotherham General Hospital for mine, but will be switching to my local Doctor's Surgery soon. I will miss the staff at RGH, they have been great.........
well i go to the Nothern general for mine and its a nightmare sometimes i have to wait hours for them to take my blood, actually might think about going to my local surgery too:)

emmie
25-04-2006, 01:49
i work testing peoples INRs and other blood tests and the targets vary depending on the reason you were put on the drug in the first place. INRs also fluctuate from drug interactions and other stuff. alcohol especially affects it because of the effect on the liver. the clotting factors affected by warfarin are produced in the liver

Don_Kiddick
25-04-2006, 05:37

:clap: :banana: I used to run this clinic about 10 or 11 years ago! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I noticed that people on warferin started behaving like vermin after a while - snappy, short fused, always wanting to be first in line, impatient...

You'll see :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

p.s. Your International Normalised Ratio would normally be 1
When things go awry with the clotting mechanism for what ever reason (it could even be cardiac - like Atrial Flutter) the INR needs to be raised (or ''thinned'') to prevent clots forming as the blood can be described as 'stickier' .

bladesgirl
25-04-2006, 05:40
:clap: :banana: I used to run this clinic about 10 or 11 years ago! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I noticed that people on warferin started behaving like vermin after a while - snappy, short fused, always wanting to be first in line, impatient...

When things go awry with the clotting mechanism for what ever reason (it could even be cardiac - like Atrial Flutter) the INR needs to be raised (or ''thinned'') to prevent clots forming as the blood can be described as 'stickier' .

ha thanx for that buts its already happened :hihi:

ps. yes thats true as when i had my dvt my INR was 1.1

Don_Kiddick
25-04-2006, 05:57
DVT's can often be a blob of free floating cholestorol that breaks away from the wall of a blood vessel & travels round the body, collecting platelets (clotting cells) along the way.
Eventually it lodges in a vessel that it can no longer pass through. Where it 'sets'.
Thus blocking the vessel. These can occur anywhere.

in the limbs they are referred to as DVT (deep vein thrombosis), in the brain would cause a stroke, in the lungs would be called a pulmonary embolism & in the heart would be called a heart attack (or infarction).

These are the most common sites.

Stay healthy folks - they're potentially fatal :(

medic25uk
25-04-2006, 06:03
some good posts here..

Agree with the comments regarding alcohol and warfarin... alcohol doesnt have a direct effect (to my knowledge) on warfarin but induces the enzymes in the liver that are required to break the drug down.... therefore fluctuant enzyme levels from binge drinking will lead to unstable INR results!
(The other major factor ofcourse is people that get drunk fall over -which is not so desirable with 'thinner' blood!)

There are other drugs that have this effect on liver enzymes which is why you should always check with your pharmacist/dr and avoid any homeopathic/unlicensed remedies if you are unsure what they contain.

Vitamin K is used in forming clotting proteins in the blood. Warfarin acts by inhibiting vitamin K.... Therefore any high dose of this vitamin will have the unwanted effect of 'thickening' the blood! -we actually use vitamin K to reverse high levels in overdose.

Peoples prescribed INR levels vary depending on what the indication for anticoagulation is. 2-2.5 is very common and used for atrial fibrillation or first time DVTs... however people with metallic heart valves may have a prescribed level up to 4.5...... i have seen levels above 20 in accidental overdose.

Deciding who should get warfarin is a very difficult. It is a fine balance between the benefits of treatment against the risk of potential harm ... especially in the elderly who are more likely to fall or suffer (for example) bleeding stomach ulcers from their arthritis medication. Therefore there are often people that i would like to prescribe warfarin that dont get it... and im sure there are some that might get it when actually they may be in a higher risk group of complications of treatment -its a judgement call.

hope this helps those of you that are interested!

bladesgirl
25-04-2006, 06:05
you sound like a doctor or something :D

shoeshine
25-04-2006, 09:14

My problem was atrial fibrillation, and further tests at RGH showed I had sufered a "silent" heart attack. Hence the warfarin.

In response to bladesgirl and the situation at NGH, at Rotherham there is an appointments system which works well. I usually attend at 1.00pm (parking a bit easier) and get immediate attention, the Clinic is usually empty.

I would stay with them, but I am moving over to the local service after being refused urgent dental treatment just before Easter at my local Dentists.....excuse was they would need to have my up-to-date INR level and remove the tooth within 24hrs of the result. They also refused penicillin, with the excuse that it affects INR levels. Last year when a similar situation arose, another dentist at the same practice issued penicillin quite happily :confused:

At RGH they do the test in the afternoon, and ring me within 3-4 hours if a change in warfarin levels is necessary. My "Yellow Book" is posted the same day. No phone call in the afternoon tells me that nothing drastic has happened to the INR level.....it's great. I hope the move away from them is not a backward step.......:)

shoeshine
25-04-2006, 09:19
medic25UK, thanks for you post...........a great and interesting summary which has explained a few things to me..:)

RazorSHarp
25-04-2006, 09:33
My wife had her mitral valve replaced 9 years ago with a metal one (she ticks like a clock now) her INR is set between 3.9 and 4.5 and she has to be tested every two weeks.

Regarding the Canberry Juice, I believe the reason you can't have it is due to nothing more than its dierectic qualitles and hence has the ability to de-hydrate you which in turn thickens your blood, unless we have been informed wrongly. She has also been told to steer clear or reduce caffeine intake?

adtuckwe
14-10-2008, 23:22
Hi guys. First time to this forum so please accept a warm welcome from me but also an apology. As a first time user, I am meeting you guys to ask for your help and advice!
Travel insurance????
The first time I ever got travel insurance after I was informed I was on warfarin for the rest of my life (by the way, I was 21 at the time and about to take my finals at Hallam in 2000) wasn’t too bad.... the price was higher than others but bearable. Since then, even the companies recommended to me by my original doctor have now become extortionate!! £40 for a weekend away in Paris, £44 for a 2 day stag do in Prague....... I am sure you have all felt the financial pain?!
I have searched the internet high and low, contacted many insurers who by the end adds on extra premiums and am now fed up!
Can anyone recommend a good company who would be able to insure a very fit and healthy 30 year old but who just happens to take warfarin everyday and had a couple of DVT’s and a PE but almost 10 years ago now?
Thanks in advance guys!
Adt

Daven
15-10-2008, 04:41
My problem was atrial fibrillation, and further tests at RGH showed I had sufered a "silent" heart attack. Hence the warfarin.

In response to bladesgirl and the situation at NGH, at Rotherham there is an appointments system which works well. I usually attend at 1.00pm (parking a bit easier) and get immediate attention, the Clinic is usually empty.

I would stay with them, but I am moving over to the local service after being refused urgent dental treatment just before Easter at my local Dentists.....excuse was they would need to have my up-to-date INR level and remove the tooth within 24hrs of the result. They also refused penicillin, with the excuse that it affects INR levels. Last year when a similar situation arose, another dentist at the same practice issued penicillin quite happily :confused:

At RGH they do the test in the afternoon, and ring me within 3-4 hours if a change in warfarin levels is necessary. My "Yellow Book" is posted the same day. No phone call in the afternoon tells me that nothing drastic has happened to the INR level.....it's great. I hope the move away from them is not a backward step.......:)

I believe it's Erythromycin which can affect the INR and must be prescribed with care - don't think that Penicillin is usually a problem.

drinkingman
15-10-2008, 10:48
As shoeshine says, the appointment system at RGH works very well. The staff are great and I'm usually in and out quite quickly. I prefer going there than to my GP (not a lot of confidence in my local surgery) as I usually have breakfast in the Rooftop Restaurant after (excellent). I take Warfarin as I have atrial fibrillation. My target is 2.5 and I take 3mg daily at the moment.

P.S. Been this morning to have a heart recorder fitted for 24 hours. Chest shaved yet again!

BTW does anyone else feel cold all the time?

colmil
12-06-2009, 21:52
I had an atrial flutter last week and I am now on Warfarin.

Time to be totally honest, I have been a regular drinker for many years and the thought of having to only have a pint and a half every day leaves me feeling totally down.

No more good nights out with friends, I have to ask if I was to drink, say, three pints a day on a regular basis, would this affect my levels in a big way?

I know I am leaving myself open to criticism here, but I would appreciate any replies.

madowl
12-06-2009, 22:16
i took warfarin years ago, i had an irregular heart beat... cut myself shavin one day and spent 6hrs in A&E!:D

Lotti
13-06-2009, 06:45
My 'therapeutic range' is between 1.8 and 2.4 but it's very rarely right...
I have been on Warfarin since I was 14 when I suffered two DVTs (one in the portal vein which is still there and one in the IVC which broke down with heparin)
However, the same condition that caused me to clot makes me prone to bleeding so my INR definitely shouldn't go over 2.5.

Currently I have a feeling it's too high as it's been too low so I'm on a ridiculous dose of warfarin to up it and I think it's gone the other way!

Joy!

lavinia
22-07-2009, 15:19
Question please .......

I currently take Warfarin and need to have my INR levels tested, does anyone know if there is a drop in centre in Sheffield which is open outside of normal working hours that carries out these blood tests. I currently have the blood tests done at my GP but the session times are limited.

iansheff
22-07-2009, 16:55
Question please .......

I currently take Warfarin and need to have my INR levels tested, does anyone know if there is a drop in centre in Sheffield which is open outside of normal working hours that carries out these blood tests. I currently have the blood tests done at my GP but the session times are limited.

Does your GP use the machine that analyses the blood or do they send it to the hospital for testing? My GP's have a clinic but if it is not possible for me to get they have done it at the evening surgery, as the result is instant.

lavinia
22-07-2009, 18:51
Does your GP use the machine that analyses the blood or do they send it to the hospital for testing? My GP's have a clinic but if it is not possible for me to get they have done it at the evening surgery, as the result is instant.

Thanks for this information. My blood test is sent to the hospital for testing, and then the GP's surgery ring me with the result later in the day. I have actually e-mailed the surgery to see if they can be more flexible as to when the tests are done - I am awaiting a response.

iansheff
22-07-2009, 22:10
They can't be more flexible if it goes to the hospital as it has to go when the hospital van calls to pick samples up I think. I am fortunate my nurse is really helpful and tries to fit me in if i cannot get for my normal appointment. I spent years going to the RHH for it doing I used to have to see the doc after as well I was fortunate to be able to go in the morning for the blood taking and not wait too long to see the doctor.

naughtynadz
07-02-2010, 03:56
hiya there i am on warfarin due to aving a metal hart valve put in wen i was 12 i have been on it now for 7year. there is a few things you carnt take eg craby juse ad it thins ur blood also veg can afect it eg pea's vetamins c there is loads. you can get a leaflet from your doctur wich tel you stuff you carnt have not everything but alot of stuf. and for the person that wants to no about where to get you blood done is the docturse hospital but you will have to leeve work early. inless your doctur go's and dose the walkin clinic at the halimshire. they mite be able to do it there but you would have to speek to your doctur. also you can get inr blood tester where you can do it at ome its same as they use at the docturs but are like 300 i have got 1 and its a lot of money to keep it updated ect. it is inportant you have it done.
my inr should be bbetween 2.9 3.9 my target is 3.5 i have to go to the docturs evry week it can take years to stable the longest i went from aving it done to going getting it done agen was a mounth. but for the lastd 2years it as been no longer than 2weeks its normaly evry week sum times to it all depends on your body and wat your target is ect like i no some 1 wat take between 2 4 mg a day and some 1 wat take 2 5mg a day pending on there reading but then theres people like me wat take very hight dose eg 1week i was 10 11mg a day the next week it could be 12 13mg the week after it could be 9mg 1dat 10 the next. i have mine done at the doctur's and with in a few minits it is done and getting printerd of for wat mg i need take wat day and wen i need come back and wat couler tablets i need to take n it also show wat you blood as bin like for the past about 6week.

chem1st
07-02-2010, 04:03
Warfarin is rat poison, if used correctly it can be a highly beneficial medicine. Beware of taking anything that can affect the rate of bleeding. Drinking alcohol for example might increase your bleeding, it also might increase the rate of metabolism of warfarin. it depends how much you drink and how much warfarin you take.

FTR Pharmaceutical companies which have adverts suggesting medicines bought on the black market can contain warfarin (rat poison) disgust me, as they peddle it themselves.

naughtynadz
07-02-2010, 04:20
i no it is. i do i take it same time evry day. i do not take anything that affets it inles the doctur proscribes them me. i dnt drink i myt av cuple drinks 1s a mounth sumtyms if that. i have been takeing it for seven years so i no wat can and carnt do. ut the proplem with me is that i only eat serton foods as i am very fuss eater. but like my doctur and consulent say it can take cuple months for your body to get used to it and other year. plus i am big much amounth of warfarin so i can argli do much stuff cus it make me bruse very easly. like some1 i no on warfrin can do contact sports and fitness stuf i carnt because of the such high dos witch for meny people can be danedrus but for me it int. also i have a low amune sistion so i can spend mounth to get it right then docturs put me on tales du to chest infections as i suffer from them and my sine-ises. lot people say dont have tatto's or peircing ive had 5tat's and 4pierceing not ad 1 proplem. i have regula chek ups and evrything is fine no proplems wat so ever with my valve ect they just dont no y it wornt sayble. even if i only eat things i can it dos not do anything the main this wat afect me wat not ment to eat is peas. i cud eat maky d's all week be fine then eat all healthy stuff and it will go ryt low. even tho its stuff i shud eat.

mila
07-02-2010, 08:29
Warfarin is rat poison, if used correctly it can be a highly beneficial medicine. Beware of taking anything that can affect the rate of bleeding. Drinking alcohol for example might increase your bleeding, it also might increase the rate of metabolism of warfarin. it depends how much you drink and how much warfarin you take.

FTR Pharmaceutical companies which have adverts suggesting medicines bought on the black market can contain warfarin (rat poison) disgust me, as they peddle it themselves.

Thank you!!!! I didn't know about this...:(

cornishuk
15-05-2010, 21:32
new user here. im not from or dont live in sheffield, just found this whilst googling and is relevant to me.cant find any uk forums about blood clots.
i too am on warfarin for life. my INR target is 3. have my blood taken fortnightly and get the results phoned to me the following day.last couple of months my daily dose has been 5mg.
i have blood clots in my main portal vein, my splenic vein and superior mesenteric vein, plus i ve got a hiatus hernia and early varices in my portal vein. apparantly im lucky to be alive.having all 3 veins clotted is extremely rare ive been told. was rushed in to hospital in january.im also now on beta blockers for life, sunday 3rd jan2010 was the day my life changed. up til 10 pm i was fine. by quarter past 10 i was in agony and my life was changed. didnt go into hospital until the tuesday and stayed in til 18th jan.(2 days before my 50th)
anyone else have these 3 clots? if so, how you coping?
ive had another ultrasound the other month, ive still no blood flow in my portal vein and it seems unlikely ill ever have flow in it again. same with the other 2 veins. ive just had a CT scan again last week. im just waiting for the camera down the throat appointment in the next few weeks and then i see my specialist mid june and should get the results of the scans then.

thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any tips/info any one has.

wackyjaki
27-05-2010, 21:09
my husband is on warfarin after 2 heart attacks it thins your blood so your heart donot have to work too hard ereyones inr is differant his is 2to 2.5 he has is blood checked every month a t northan genaral hospital

Daven
27-05-2010, 22:01
Your INR target level will depend upon the reason for you being on warfarin. If you are on warfarin for atrial fibrillation (AF) your target level is likely to be between 2.0 and 2.5. If you are on warfarin for a prosthetic valve it will be 3.0 to 3.5.
Whatever your target level, you should always take your warfarin as directed and have your blood checked regularly.

Tejay
10-04-2011, 10:47
Hello all,

I have been searching for some decent sites like this, so I can chat to others in a similar position as myself.
I have been on Warfarin since January. My INR should ideally read 3.5 and I am still struggling to get there at the moment!
I had a mini stroke last year due to APS (Anti Pholisopholipid Syndrome), which in laymans terms is 'sticky blood'. I have come to terms with having to be on warfarin for life, but I am struggling with severe headaches? I wonder if this is a normal side affect when adjusting and allowing your system to adjust? I do sleep much more often, and at the moment just give into it rather than fight it.
I have a passion for skiing and did not fair too well on a recent holiday I took to Austria!? I need to study more on the altitudes of resorts a little more than before? I am struggling to control a decent diet at the moment as Cranberry, Spinach, Broccolli, leeks etc were previously high in my intake. I hade a full glass of cranberry every morning? Not since though!:mad:
Drinking is not too much of a problem, although I enjoy a glass of wine or two now and then, I still indulge when the mood takes, although that is much less then previously:mad:
I do like to travel regularly and find these times quiet difficult.
I am hoping my headaches will ease once the warfarin kicks in and steadies itself?
Thank you for listening. It's just nice to have a rant with people who understand some similar frustrations! :rant:

slammindoor
10-04-2011, 11:11
I also had headaches but not severe when first put on warfarin ,last year ------laid off alchohol for 6months and 3 days (dont know who was counting !)---never lost a pound in weight---came off warfarin --had a operation in November---had another thrombo just before Christmas in other leg but not as severe---looks as if I am on it for good-----cheers

Tejay
10-04-2011, 12:16
Hi Slammindor,
thanks for sharing your story. I am going to persue the headaches with my GP until I can get some answers. I was very disappointed to hear about the "No loss of weight with NO ALCOHOL!!!"
What's that all about :nono:

windbob
01-01-2012, 18:52
Hi,
Its my first time on this forum, I start taking Warfarin to-morrow the 2/1/2012 at about 18.00. When my GP told me I had AF (Atrial Fibrillation) after I had an ECG at the Northern General Hospital I was quite worried.
Since then, I have been on web and read a lot about taking Warfarin, and now I am really worried.
It seems, you have control the INR with what you eat and drink and be careful with herbal remedies, I think its the thought of having nose bleeds if the INR is to high that upsets me.
I asked my GP about Self-Testing and if I could get the test strips on a prescription, but was told that this practice does not support self-testing.

I went onto the coaguchek web page, looking for their self testing kit and found out the cost, It usually sells for £399 but between August and December 2011 it was on offer at £299 (£560 on amazon).

So I have bought one, You get a DVD with all the instructions on it, and shows you how to set it up and how to do a blood test. With the kit you only get 6 testing strips.

To get more, which they sell in 24 and 48 packs cost about £86 for 24 and £127 for 48, the sharps that prick your finger sell for about £12 for 200.

The total cost for doing a self test costs about £3.60 each time thats without the cost of the kit.

What it means to me, is I can do a test anytime and anywhere, If I get worried about my condition, I will just do a test. I will not act on it. Its up to the Hospital to set my Wafarin dose. Its just not safe to do otherwise.

wackyjaki
01-01-2012, 20:02
as i said in my earlyer post my husband has been on warfrin for three years for afib and has been allright he cant drink much now as allcholl also thins your blood he has a blood test once a month and he has been fine so dont worry as soon as you are at your target they will keep you on the same dose dont take anything with blood thiners in it like ibuprofin or asprin only take paresetamol for pain and you should be fine

iansheff
01-01-2012, 20:37
I have been on warfarin over 20 years, only once have I ever had problems that was after a week abroad. My INR rarely changes by much just the odd 0.1 or so and have been on the same dose since July, just looked and since May 2008 my dose has dropped by 2 mg a week. I am fortunate the nurse at my GP's does the test with the machine rather than having to go to the RHH.

playman
03-01-2012, 17:40
I too have AF and was diagnosed in july i also have moderate to severe dysfunction of the left ventricle and have to take warfarin as well as beta blockers and blood pressure and water medications, i am currently waiting for a DC Cardioversion but the drugs for that will mess everything else up, plus cause complications with my thyroid problem and another problem which i am trying to get sorted out, i do not have any problem with warfarin and after every blood test done at the hallamshire is followed a day later with my INR and the dosage to take until my next test.
I have not had to alter my diet or suffered any nose bleeds or side effects since starting it they like to keep your INR between 2 -3 ideally at 2.5 but anywhere near will do, i started off with weekly tests and now every 3 weeks until my hemithyroidectomy operation is done then i can have it done at my doctors.

playman
03-01-2012, 17:50
Windbob what is your dosage ? i take 5 mg every other day and 4 mg on the other days, the reason for regular blood tests are to make sure you are taking the right dose, have they mentioned any other tests yet like an echocardiogram which is a scan of your heart done like a pregnancy scan, this is what uncovered my ventricle problem and they want to shock me back into a sinus rhythm to give my heart a rest and ease my breathlessness, do not take all you read too seriously the internet is a wonderful source but can be very scary at times.

windbob
03-01-2012, 18:38
My warfarin dose is 2mg per day for two weeks then the NGH will let me know what I have to take for a range of between 2 and 3 with 2.5 target. I have an enlarged heart due to taking neproxen three times a week for over ten years. When there was a big peice in the newspapers about the risk in taking neproxen, I was taken off it.

windbob
17-01-2012, 14:04
I started Warfarin on the 2nd Jan 2012 this is my third week I was on 2mg and my INR was 1.1 for two weeks now I have been put on 5mg. Is there any higher dose? I have only took it one day and my head seems to be floating and I have a really bad head acke. What can I expect, do things get any better the more I take?

medusa
17-01-2012, 14:49
My mum is on warfarin for life and she did consider getting a home testing machine, but her target range is between 3.5 and 4.5 so when she goes to the hospital for a test they often struggle to get the needle puncture from the blood test to stop bleeding for up to half an hour so she decided that it's really too risky to deliberately puncture herself at home. If she cuts herself accidentally she often bleeds for days afterwards before her clotting finally gets into gear.

Unfortunately, even at such a high INR she still has thromboses on a regular basis and has one in her abdomen that the doctors have failed to get rid of for approaching 10 years. She's on warfarin because she has lupus and has had dozens of DVTs since her 20s.

medusa
17-01-2012, 14:57
I started Warfarin on the 2nd Jan 2012 this is my third week I was on 2mg and my INR was 1.1 for two weeks now I have been put on 5mg. Is there any higher dose? I have only took it one day and my head seems to be floating and I have a really bad head acke. What can I expect, do things get any better the more I take?

5mg is not actually that high. It's a relative thing though- you may need 6mg daily to maintain your INR, but someone else may have a constant result on 2mg or 9mg.

If you're at 2.5-3.5 then you're likely to be on a lower dose than someone who's at 3.5-4.5 anyway, but you may also be on a lower (or higher) dose than someone else who has the same INR as you.

I don't take warfarin and I hope I don't need to go on it in future (genetically the odds are that I will at some point though) but no matter what the side effects you get from the warfarin, the risks of not taking it are higher, so by all means consult your doctor on the side effects, but please don't stop taking it.

windbob
17-01-2012, 15:21
I have my own Coaguchek machine and when I went to the NGH yesterday I asked if when the weather was bad and I could not get to the NGH could I use my own machine to do the test and then ring in.
I was told that they would not except me useing my own machine without them knowing that I was useing it correct. So next week when I go to the NGH for my weekly blood test I will be doing it on my own machine and then the following week and if they think I am OK I will only have to go for a check up every two months. It will save me taxi fares because I would never take my car to the NGH because of the parking, with a taxi I get taken right to the door.

iansheff
17-01-2012, 16:57
My target is 2.5 - 3.0 and my dose is 7.00mg some days 8.00mg others.

jue939
21-01-2012, 22:48
Hi, I have just joined the forum this evening although I'm not local to any of you so I hope you don't mind me joining? I'm on warfarin for life following a P.E in 1999 then again June 2011. I noticed windbobs post (home monitor) I have also purchased a monitor but I get my testing strips through my GP, is there anyway you can inquire further with regards to obtaining the strips on prescription? I must say the monitor is excellent as its there as and when I start to worry. I also like to go abroad and getting your INR checked privately can be costly, so having the machine for that purpose is a benefit alone!!

I would love to hear from anyone who has struggled to come to terms with taking warfarin for live as it freaked me out. At times I felt quite angry, not so much now though as I think the anger was more anxiety than anything.

I have noticed my INR can be 2.5 one day then 2.9 the next. Does anyone else find this with their INR? Today is was 3.1 but will check it again in the morning before I email the clinic.

Any advise will be appreciated.

windbob
22-01-2012, 11:44
The thing that realy puzzles me is, The amount of Warfarin you take, if it is a large amount say 7-8mg and your INR target is say 2.5 does the high amount of Warfarin increase your risk of bleeding? or is it the 2.5 INR? I was told by the hospital that bleeding may start if my INR was over 4 is this correct?

iansheff
22-01-2012, 13:23
I came back from holiday a few years ago and my INR was over 9, I had to go to the RHH for 4 days miss the weekend then back on the Monday for them to monitor it and bring it down. Said that if I had been bleeding from anywhere they would have kept me in, fortunately I hadn't.