[Rant] Modern day "gamers"

You know, one thing I really hate about modern day "gamers", is this whole 'noob' culture, they think it's big and cool and the "in thing" to call someone a "f-kin noob" and rage about it all game, instead of just playing the game.. Everyone was a noob once..

Take for example a game I was just in, I have played a few games, but am by no means really experienced, and I still have a LOT to learn in the game, as-soon as it was apparent we had lost, I immediately had 3 people yelling at me (well, in caps at least) calling me a noob, and saying I shouldn't be playing the game, and I should learn how to play etc...

I don't need to say anything more do I? that's why I was in the LOW LEVEL game, to learn the game, to experiment and find out how to play properly, and to be with people who are supposedly doing the same and are of equal (or worse?) skill level than me, so we're all noobs together..

It's things like that, which really put me of lots of new games, it's the "14 year old z0Mg pr0 1337 g4ymur" culture that has suddenly appeared in the last couple of years!

Sorry, rant over! peace everyone! :D

I know exactly what you mean. The very first time I played a game online, I was verbally abused, by a group of yanks. It did actually upset me, as I wasn't expecting it. Now, I would have thought with my low gamescore & going into a game at rank level 1, it was obvious that I was a 'newcomer' and maybe would have been welcomed into the world of online gaming. How wrong I was! Now nearly 5 years later, I do sort of look out for new players, if they start getting a hard time from others, I like to defend them, and give them a few pointers :)

It's things like that, which really put me of lots of new games, it's the "14 year old z0Mg pr0 1337 g4ymur" culture that has suddenly appeared in the last couple of years!:D

leet speak and using the term noob is older than the 14 year olds saying it.

I know what you mean. I find it hilarious when someone actually gets mad enough to send you abusive messages. I just imagine them sitting there, steaming.

Laugh it off, don't let that put you off anything. Some people are just lacking brain cells; don't let their ignorance affect you.

I know what you mean. I find it hilarious when someone actually gets mad enough to send you abusive messages. I just imagine them sitting there, steaming.

Last week I got a pm on this very forum, the title was "nob" the main message said nob. Soooo not just gamers but also forum users.

Last week I got a pm on this very forum, the title was "nob" the main message said nob. Soooo not just gamers but also forum users.

Title: Nob

How imaginative but I guess that proves the point. These types are hardly Mensa quality. :hihi:

Title: Nob

How imaginative but I guess that proves the point. These types are hardly Mensa quality. :hihi:

It's just because they are hiding behind the Internet, I doubt very much the sender would have dared say it to my face irl.

i love gears and to all you noobs out there.....welcome to the pleasure dome...i love being a nub, makes the game more interesting to know that some fools actually pull their hair out because of the way i play lmao

I agree.

The whole culture of online gaming has changed over the last 3-4 years.

I play MMO's generally rather than say FPS and the whole "noob and *insert various other words here*" in these games has escalated to a level where it seems to be socially acceptable to call someone a "re***d".

I did attempt to play LoL for a while however the community in that game is probably the least friendly for a new player out of all the ones i have played.

Just a trawl through the various forums indicates how bad the problem has become and unfortunately for the life of me i can't see it improving.

It all basically boils down to the great image from 2004 called John Gabriel’s Greater Internet F**wad Theory

Today that seems strangely prophetic

This is the reason i don't bother with online modes on many games - especially FPS games, as that is where the morons seem to reside. It is also why I joined an online clan called the OAPs (Old Age Playstationers) - have to be over 28 to join, and the basic rule is that we are all adults, and game for fun...so who cares how good you are at a game, let's just get drunk and shoot things!

I tend to stick with racing games or MMORPGs, where there are less of the morons.

I find more of those sort of people in MMO/RTS's than I do FPS games...

and atleast in an FPS game if someone does say that, just shoot them then ask "who is the noob now?"

.... basic rule is that we are all adults, and game for fun...so who cares how good you are at a game, let's just get drunk and shoot things!

Sounds like my sort of gaming! :thumbsup:

It's a bit of fun. If I'm playing with people I know then we tend to give each other some stick as we play though, but we all know it's part of the game.