Motorway speed cameras and your speed

What speed do you travel at on UK motorways?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What speed do you travel at on UK motorways?

• 70 mph or less
    • Between 70-80 mph
    • 80 mph
    • Over 85 mph

Are there any speed cameras on motorways bar on the M25?

And what is your average speed on the motorway?

Loads on the M42. And a very encouraging looking setup where it looks like if a lane is blocked (accident etc) then the gantry signs can instruct you to use the hard shoulder. Not seen it action/sure if that's the case though.

Yes.

The M25 has variable speed limits. When you drive on the busiest sections, along the west part, there are huge electronic signs telling you what the speed limit is. This is generally sucessful in preventing stop start congestion. Within the overhead gantries each lane has a gatso camera. And if you go over the indicated speed limit you are flashed.

I don't hang around on the motorway, unless it's rush hour you can usually cruise along with other traffic at 95mph. I try to stay under the banning zone most of the time although I sometimes slip.

:suspect:

The M4 also has fixed cameras.

The M42 and M25 only have cameras in the variable speed sections.

If it is a fairly clear motorway between 90 and 110mph

And I suppose that you would complain if you got a ticket for speeding.

Do other drivers get in your way?

That's very inconsiderate of them.

If the speed limit was 100mph what speed would you do then.

And I suppose that you would complain if you got a ticket for speeding.

Do other drivers get in your way?

That's very inconsiderate of them.

You are supposed to flash at them until they move ;)

I'm guessing here but I would think most people who admit to driving 90 - 110 mph on a clear motorway would drive at that speed regardless of speed limits. It is a perfectly safe speed for a clear motorway.

Except in poor weather/light, over the brow of a hill, round a bend, approaching a junction. A lot of the motorway really.

I'm guessing here but I would think most people who admit to driving 90 - 110 mph on a clear motorway would drive at that speed regardless of speed limits. It is a perfectly safe speed for a clear motorway.

Define 'a clear motorway'. That's a very ambiguous comment and would like to know how such rule could be endorsed.

Except in poor weather/light, over the brow of a hill, round a bend, approaching a junction. A lot of the motorway really.

The weather is obviously beyond our control, but it's not always attrocious. And large portions of our motorways are actually well lit.

Brows of hills, there are very few places on the motorway with poor visibility, this is by design, this includes bends, which are gentle and cover several miles.

One of the advantages of motorways is slip roads, another is multiple lanes. there is little reason for traffic joining a motorway under normal conditions to affect the flow of the traffic or the traffic already near to the slip road.

When the traffic is light I happen to think that 100mph would be perfectly safe for the majority of cars and drivers.

Variable speed limits are a great idea, but they should go up as well as down.