Sign in to follow this  

Spring '06 Edition of 'Vogue Knitting' Out Now.

I've just spotted that the new Spring edition of 'Vogue Knitting' is out now. I saw it in the Get Knitted Latest Arrivals section, but it should be available elsewhere too.

I know, I spotted that too :hihi: . I don't think that one's really me though. I love the camisole/corset type things in the ' A Delicate Situation' section. The colours and styling are gorgeous.

No a bikini wouldnt suit me either :hihi: I wasnt actually taken by anything in particular there though - am I sick - LOL

LisaH xxx

I never did understand knitted swimwear, a good friend of mine actually used to wear trunks hid mum had knitted him - and swim in them! can you imagine they must of ended up round his knees, or maybe felted if the water got warm enough!

I will have to get a copy, i think Hecate is right about the camisole it's very pretty. My daughter and i were trying to decide if the corset on the vogue knitting site was knitted and if so how? Would it be able to hold it's shape well enough - if anyone has the pattern and can shed any light on it?

I know i should just buy it but i have to watch my knitting budget - men just don't understand!

I must admit that knitted swimwear always seemed a major mistake to me too, particularly if it was knitted from wool of some description. As you say, it's asking for trouble once it gets wet, and I should imagine it maintains its shape for about five minutes too once you start wearing it.

I can just about see the point of maybe using a cotton mix, preferably one with a hefty dose of lycra, for something in an appropriate style. For example, a crocheted bikini in a natural colour and maybe a few beads and macrame-type knots might look quite attractive, in a hippy, retro sort of way. Again, I wouldn't fancy swimming in it though.

As for the Vogue corset pattern, it doesn't look knitted from the picture, but surely it must be to be featured so prominently? It is gorgeous though. It must be made from a fairly robust yarn, maybe a cotton/silk mix, and perhaps it's reinforced with fabric on the reverse?

I tried to find this issue of 'Vogue Knitting' at Borders yesterday, but they didn't have it in stock. I'll have another look over the weekend, and if I can't get it by then I'll order it. Expect a report soon :) .

You never know the corset may be done in very fine yarn - endurance knitting, the kind that takes you an hour to knit an inch! I only managed to knit with 2 ply once, a beautiful jacket for my first child. Since then i've stuck to 4ply upwards, night have something to do with having four children and no time!

We did think for a moment that it looked sort of felted - but can you imagine how that would feel next to your skin, I look forward to any info you may find.

I bought the Spring issue of 'Vogue Knitting' a week or so ago from Get Knitted. Here, as promised - a little belatedly - is a quick review of the magazine, and a look at the issue of the knitted corset...

The theme for the issue is 'embellishment'; the focus on details added to the knitting by the use of beads, crocheted edgings, embroidery and even ribbons. Apparently this is a huge in the fashion world at the minute, not that I would have noticed, of course, being a fan of the plain black v-neck t-shirt myself.

There are several pattern collections; from the the Serengeti-inspired 'Natural Selection' to a selection of beachwear patterns called 'Riviera', which includes - inevitably - a very fetching turquoise knitted bikini. It looks a little 80s to me, but the fashion folk at Vogue apparently loved it.

The main collection, and the one featured on the cover, is called 'A Delicate Situation'. This is an absolutely gorgeous collection of vintage lingerie-inspired patterns, which continues the embellishment theme. Included in this are a drawstring camisole, a tunic embellished with crocheted flowers and beads and a beautiful cream, lilac and pink cropped jacket which uses a crocheted shell stitch border.

The most fascinating project is, of course, the corset designed by Jennifer Hanson of Stitch Diva Studios. It isn't actually knitted though; it's worked in panals of Tunisian crochet, joined together by single crochet-covered ribs of boning. It's stunning, but way beyond my level of expertise, unfortunately.