View Full Version : Alternative Use For Bus Lanes

crookesey
11-04-2006, 08:32
Just a suggestion for re-wording the bus lane signs from Highfields and up Abbeydale Road as far as Woodseats Road.

Bus Lane In Peak Times And Parking Anytime For Asian Owned Vehicles.

It starts in the evening with a car parked outside the Asian owned convenience store at Highfields complete with Naz look alikes smirking at the folk in the traffic jam caused by them.

Only the odd car parked until the block of shops after Broadfield Road when it becomes an Asian car parking area. Parking Services staff vehicles just drive past them, obviously they are looking for easier prey. Me thinks that they are either too scared or have been ordered not to rock the boat.

Never the less these inconsiderate abusers of traffic rules manage to put at least ten minutes on my homeward journey every day.

HotPhil
11-04-2006, 09:07
You should complain to parking services, regardless of your/the parker's race.

Cuey
11-04-2006, 09:15
stop surfing the Forum in works time Phil. Theres lots of work to do in block A :hihi:

HotPhil
11-04-2006, 09:23
Aye, but having handed my notice in, I feel entitled to a little leisure time!

Greybeard
11-04-2006, 09:36
Same thing used to happen in Fir Vale at the lights on Owler lane, probably still does.

Nobody seems to know why the authorities are totally unable to enforce the regulations, although I suspect it it just a case there being too much effort involved and the resulting accusations of racial harrassment.

Meaks
11-04-2006, 09:40
Same thing used to happen in Fir Vale at the lights on Owler lane, probably still does.

Yes, it does. :rant:

crookesey
11-04-2006, 09:41
You should complain to parking services, regardless of your/the parker's race.

So PS haven't noticed them whilst driving past? Also I doubt if any action would be taken due to the nature of the complaint.

alchresearch
11-04-2006, 11:46
The same thing happens on one of the main roads into Bolton.

HotPhil
11-04-2006, 11:59
Also I doubt if any action would be taken due to the nature of the complaint.
I would've thought any well-written complaint would have to be taken seriously. However, if you insist on throwing the race angle into it, I imagine they may have disregard it as acting on it could then be perceived as acting on the race grounds.

Strix
11-04-2006, 12:00
Here we find the main cause of racial tension. How can we expect everybody to get along when specific groups are exempt from law and order? It's bound to cause resentment

HotPhil
11-04-2006, 12:01
Also, there's no mention of the times - before making a complaint, check that the bus lane is indeed a bus lane in the hours you have an issue with.

crookesey
11-04-2006, 13:04
Also, there's no mention of the times - before making a complaint, check that the bus lane is indeed a bus lane in the hours you have an issue with.

5.45 pm Monday 10th April counts as a bus lane time I believe. The problem with some members is that any inference of an ethnic group taking the michael brings out the racist card.

If any of you don't believe the content of the post Abbeydale Road is not hard to find so go and check it out.

HotPhil
11-04-2006, 13:08
It only becomes interference of an ethnic group when you set it out as one. Simply reporting parked cars there at that time would be enough. It's when you start with the "Asian car parking area" stuff that it becomes an issue readers clearly perceive as racist.

crookesey
11-04-2006, 13:14
It only becomes interference of an ethnic group when you set it out as one. Simply reporting parked cars there at that time would be enough. It's when you start with the "Asian car parking area" stuff that it becomes an issue readers clearly perceive as racist.

Oh sorry, the Asian folk sitting in them and leaning on them must have been just about to steal white folks cars then.

I said inference not interference by the way.

max
11-04-2006, 13:17
It's just people who are parking inconsiderately, just like people do on match days, or in disabled parking bays, or outside Northern Gen opposite double white lines (one of my pet hates). It's not a race thing, it's just selfishness, pure and simple.

crookesey
11-04-2006, 13:20
It's just people who are parking inconsiderately, just like people do on match days, or in disabled parking bays, or outside Northern Gen opposite double white lines (one of my pet hates). It's not a race thing, it's just selfishness, pure and simple.

I agree, this time selfish Asian people, stating a fact is not racist.

HotPhil
11-04-2006, 13:30
The act of illegal parking does indeed have nothing to do with race. I was just trying to point out that going to whoever polices the bus lanes and complaining about the "Naz look a likes" with "Asian owned vehicles" parked outside the "Asian owned convenience store" may not be the best way to get your complaint taken seriously.

Little_Alex
11-04-2006, 13:36
Bus lanes would be a little more agreeable if when you're sat in a long line of traffic going nowhere the bus lanes were actually full of buses instead of lying empty. This would be a good use of bus lanes I reckon :suspect:

HotPhil
11-04-2006, 13:46
You don't see them because they've whizzed past taking their passengers onwards!

spangler
11-04-2006, 13:55
"Never the less these inconsiderate abusers of traffic rules manage to put at least ten minutes on my homeward journey every day."[/QUOTE]

But what would you DO with these extra 10 minutes, Crookesey. Sounds like you need to unwind. Why not just sit in your traffic jam and enjoy the smug superiority of always being in the right.

HotPhil
11-04-2006, 13:59
Well to take the bait of an obvious troll post - he'll not get those 10 minutes back. Ever.
And it's wrong that a few people disregard rules that others stick to and hence cause inconvenience for many motorists.
It's worth reporting it to the relevant authorities.

spangler
11-04-2006, 14:41
Damn you Hotphil - you see through my subtle banter - I agree with you but not with the stereotyping of any particular race.

crookesey
11-04-2006, 15:34
"Never the less these inconsiderate abusers of traffic rules manage to put at least ten minutes on my homeward journey every day."

But what would you DO with these extra 10 minutes, Crookesey. Sounds like you need to unwind. Why not just sit in your traffic jam and enjoy the smug superiority of always being in the right.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you know the feeling of smugness far better than I do.

What I would do with the ten minutes is a mystery as I have never found out due to being stuck in a traffic jam that shouldn't be there.

And don't make childish assumptions about someone you don't know, perhaps you unwind by sniping at people on this Forum.

AlquarUK
11-04-2006, 16:33
what difference does it make what ethnic decent the illigal parkers are of?

If it doesn't matter why did you mention it?

are you just trolling!?

HotPhil
11-04-2006, 16:37
It doesn't. It was apparently a statement of fact. However, as it's an unnecessary fact, I think many people reading it sense that the poster felt it was important to include, and hence it seems to read with a slightly negative slant towards "Asians".
It has no bearing on their parking. Might as well have chosen to describe their heights for all the relevance it has. The inclusion of the racial description, from the way I read it, was only intended to have a negative influence. However, I may well have misunderstood.

AlquarUK
11-04-2006, 16:40
I really hate it whan midgets and people with moustashes park illigally, gets my right on my goat!!

No goatism intended. :D

AtticusFinch
11-04-2006, 17:11
I agree, this time selfish Asian people, stating a fact is not racist.

If it's a fact, I'll assume that you know this because you've monitored these areas for a sufficient duration and intensity to make that conclusion. If I was conducting a test to investigate this, I'd say four hours a day for one month, where the ethnicity of all parkers in the bus lane was logged, then the proportion of asian drivers amongst these was calculated. This would be necessary to withstand peer review and to state the hypothesis as fact.

Is this what you did?

Tony
11-04-2006, 17:38
From another thread that has the same moan...
Call Parking Services on;

(0114) 2736158
between
9:00am to 5:00pm Mon. to Thurs.
9:00am to 4:45pm Fri.

e-mail to parkingservices@sheffield.gov.uk

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/street-force/car-parking/decriminalised-parking/contacts

There you go crooksey, now YOU can do something about it :)

angle20
11-04-2006, 19:28
It can be difficult not to ask oneself: is this an ethnic-specific piece of driving behaviour when something a little unusual happens.
I was once in town on the narrow street at the back of and parallel to the Moor (Earl Way/Matilda Way I think). A car stopped, occupying all the road space, a young Pakistani-looking lad got out, leaving the engine running and the door open (with his mate in the car) and proceeded to make a withdrawal from an adjacent cash machine.
The road was quiet, and as it happened no other drivers were inconvenienced , but if another car had come along they would have had to wait until the young gentleman had completed his financial transaction.

HotPhil
12-04-2006, 07:07
That's not ethnic-specific - just inconsiderate.

Alex C.
12-04-2006, 07:49
That's not ethnic-specific - just inconsiderate.
exactly, yesterday, I particularily noticed some bad rush hour parking (double yellows, sticking into the road) for a young woman to go and do her shopping in spar, holding the traffic up - I didn't infer from that that all young women drive with no care or consideration.

There are good and bad apples in every walk of society - and its possibly true that more 'ethnics' (i'm guessing you don't notice the white ones) drive/park inconsiderately, I don't know.

I can also see what hot phil is saying, if you do mention their race, it sounds like you're targetting them particularily - try complaining without mentioning it to the police. Failing that, contact the sun to tell them that the police are ignoring asians parking here, they may just pick up on it :P

crookesey
12-04-2006, 08:22
If it's a fact, I'll assume that you know this because you've monitored these areas for a sufficient duration and intensity to make that conclusion. If I was conducting a test to investigate this, I'd say four hours a day for one month, where the ethnicity of all parkers in the bus lane was logged, then the proportion of asian drivers amongst these was calculated. This would be necessary to withstand peer review and to state the hypothesis as fact.

Is this what you did?

I believe that the evening bus lanes (the ones that I posted about) open at 4.30 pm and close at 6.30 pm so four hours monitoring would be a little difficult. However I drive home up Abbeydale Road every week day and have conducted my monitoring whilst stuck in a traffic jam caused by blocked bus lanes (the greenhouse gasses issue also comes to mind).

As the area between Broadfield Road and Woodseats Road is a very strong Asian area it is hardly surprising that the offending vehicles are Asian owned. Had I posted about white drivers double parking in Dore it would have had little or no response. So take your PC hat off and stop trying to fix the truth, if you consider my post to be an untruth get out there and prove me wrong.

HotPhil
12-04-2006, 09:18
I don't think anyone's suggesting it's untrue, just that with a PC hat on unnecessarily including their race suggests to the reader of your post that it is intended to have a negative racial slant.

redrobbo
12-04-2006, 09:40
Has crookesey used the link provided by Tony to report his concerns to Parking Services yet? I think we should be told!

crookesey
12-04-2006, 10:14
I don't think anyone's suggesting it's untrue, just that with a PC hat on unnecessarily including their race suggests to the reader of your post that it is intended to have a negative racial slant.

This is getting a little silly, the only way to post on this Forum is on a none gender, none race and none sexual orientation basis. It reminds me of the conservative MP who was mugged by five black guys making him late late for a commons commitee meeting. On explaining the reason for his lateness a left wing labour MP objected to him saying that his attackers were black, only for him to reply ' it's going to make it difficult to give descriptions to the police if I can't tell them what colour they were'.

crookesey
12-04-2006, 10:29
Has crookesey used the link provided by Tony to report his concerns to Parking Services yet? I think we should be told!

Driving home up Abbeydale Road yesterday evening there were only 3 cars parked in the bus lane (all 3 with Asian males sitting in them). The area past Broadfield Road was clear of parked cars for the first time in living memory, I wonder if this Forum had anything to do with this.

Oh by the way the 10 minutes that I saved was squandered by doing nothing for 10 minutes longer.

Answer to your question is no, I quite simply posted my observations on this Forum as I believe is my right to do so.

HotPhil
12-04-2006, 10:43
Of course you can post whatever you like as long as it within the rules of the forum. All I was trying to point was that as a reader I perceived the slightly sarcastic, accusatory initial post as aimed, not just at the illegal parking act, but at one particular ethnic group (even if that wasn't the intention).

spangler
12-04-2006, 10:43
I rest my case that crookesey needs to unwind - proof is in the fact that he did nothing in his saved 10 minutes.

Bless you Crookesey - we sympathise with your irritation about traffic and selfish parking. It happens everywhere.

Have you reported it by the way? How useful was your 'factual' description to the relevant authority - do you think they might be able to track them down and fine them?

P.S. Hotphil - you talk a lot of sense.

crookesey
12-04-2006, 10:54
I rest my case that crookesey needs to unwind - proof is in the fact that he did nothing in his saved 10 minutes.

Bless you Crookesey - we sympathise with your irritation about traffic and selfish parking. It happens everywhere.

Have you reported it by the way? How useful was your 'factual' description to the relevant authority - do you think they might be able to track them down and fine them?

P.S. Hotphil - you talk a lot of sense.

The two weeks beach front on the Med starting this Saturday should have the desired effect. That's unless some Spanish bloke parks, oh s..t there I go again.

Have already answered the 'reported it' question.

HotPhil
12-04-2006, 10:56
Cool. I could do with a break too. Hope you have a nice time.