Employment and pregnancy

I'm six months pregnant today and have not yet had my matb1 form, but I'm seeing the midwife on tues so will ask for it then.

My immediate boss knows this and accepts this, she is also happy to wait until next week for the letter from me that tells work I'm pregnant, when it's due and when I intend to start maternity leave.

I've got to work this morning to the owner of the company demanding that I bring this information and the matb1 form in by Monday latest. I did explain that I can't give him what I don't have and he yelled at me that I should have had it for the last 9 weeks at least (according to my green notes and any info I can find online I would only be able to have this from the 20th week of pregnancy and I'm only 24 weeks).

I'm also to make appointments to see midwife in my time, not works, he demanded to know why I had a hospital appointment, as I don't need any more scans so should not be going to hospital at all. He said he would not pay me for any appointments i went to during his time, I know he can't do this and told him as much, he said he could and would.

His tone was very aggressive, raised voice and swearing) and I asked him to not be so aggressive as it was unnecessary, he had been given all the information as I had it by the other woman and nothing I could tell him today would be any different to that conversation a fortnight ago, again he carried on being nasty and then went into a meeting.

At which point, I left for the day, very very upset. It's been a difficult pregnancy, with me hospitalized for some of the time, all of this he knows about, and I really do not need to become that upset (it's hours later and I can still feel the blood pounding in my ears).

The only thing I can think of that started this tirade is he suggested I go back part time and work from home and asked that I take my lap top in so he could have a look at it and make sure everything I needed for work was on it, I took this in weeks ago and it's just sat in front of my desk ever since. He mentioned it on Monday and I asked what the company was going to give me in return for me using my own personal property to do my job. He was not impressed, but I dont see that I'm asking anything wrong in this instance. My current works pc is desperately sick, it as been acknowledged that it needs replacing but said boss has point blank refused to do this, instead preferring his idea of me using my own personal property.

Is any of this behavior by employer to employee grounds for a grievance, it's certainly falling well short of the duty of care they are supposed to have. Also, these apart from the very nice and reasonable immediate boss are my family!!!

Edited by twibstix
Found answer to my original question

Such a stressful time for you. Not sure on some matters, but you are entitled to pay/time off for antenatal appointments. When it comes to returning to work i believe if you dont go back after recieving mat pay you may have to pay some back but this should be in your contract however i have known many people choose not to go back afterwards and have had no problems at all and I think it depends on what type of mat pay you get i.e statutory may pay. Have you tried the direct.gov website then select employment then families and pregnancy at work comes under there with your rights in a work place.

Good Luck

I rang a helpline earlier, as long as I fit the criteria for receiving smp, which I do, I can give notice that I do not intend to return with my letter next week or at any time during maternity leave, and they are legally obliged to pay me the full 39 week entitlement. None of this I have to pay back. Maternity and pregnancy are not mentioned anywhere in my contract either.

Also, these apart from the very nice and reasonable immediate boss are my family!!!
I'm still in shock from reading your post, but this last line is telling

Why do family always think they can get away with murder? :mad:

I'm glad you've found an appropriate helpline to get you through this

In a radical development earlier, I saw my brother and had absolutely not intention of speaking to him as I was setting up for our show and I did not want to shout at him (would make me look bad, but he would have deserved it). He came across, and apologized, used the words I'm sorry too and, I believe meant it.

Could I just ask which helpline you used/ could you post the number please? I'm anticipaiting my boss to not be very co-operative as well... Thanks in advance x

congrats on your preg i hope yours is smoother then mine been sick since wk 12 and unable to get bk to work

i had my matb form in not very long ago 28 wks it was approx....you get that off midwife 24wk check-up usually , send it off- then i had to write a letter to my employer saying i wanted to take my m'leave from such such date and had to ask for an smp form - which i only got my response today - im not entitled to smp- so i have to request another form from job centre a ma1 form for mat allowance. bloody frustrating at my work with this subject truly ****** off . from 29 wks your able to download from direct gov a form for sure start maternity grant and send that off to see if your eligible for the £500 (if its your first baby )

id also like to get the helpline for the matter if you found it useful and would be to others such as ourselves thanks all the best in your work issues and pregnancy; my edd is sept 1st cant wait

I'm sorry for not replying sooner ladies but I lost the notebook with the number in it!!!!!! Maternity Action Line 0845 6008533.