The Mathematics of Crochet... Or The Crochet of Mathematics?

Here is what mathematicians get up to in their spare time. And you thought academics were dull... :D

And here is another article about the same story. Well I found it interesting anyway...

Well I'm more of an appreciator of Ed Lorenz (and Konrad, but that's another thread) than of crochet, but that is impressive.

I bet you could crochet a wicked Sierpinski Gasket too.

Well I'm more of an appreciator of Ed Lorenz (and Konrad, but that's another thread) than of crochet, but that is impressive.

I bet you could crochet a wicked Sierpinski Gasket too.

Here is a link to the pdf of the original paper. The maths isn't really my area, but the crochet instructions look pretty good...

Wow that is rather lovely - Id definitely have to learn to crochet for that:D A Happy Hooker review will come - soon I promise;)

LisaH xxx

...A Happy Hooker review will come - soon I promise;)

LisaH xxx

I now have that in writing, so there's no escape... :D .

It seems like crochet is the mathematician's favourite hobby. Here is how a research group at Cornell University have used crochet to make models of hyperbolic space (which, I'm reliably informed, is "very, very complicated maths" :suspect: ).

It seems like crochet is the mathematician's favourite hobby. Here how a research group at Cornell University have used crochet to make models of hyperbolic space (which, I'm reliably informed, is "very, very complicated maths" :suspect: ).

Now see, they have just gone and ruined it with the bad embroidery :hihi:

I don't know about mathematics but sometimes circular knitting can end up like Biology

Now see, they have just gone and ruined it with the bad embroidery :hihi:

I'll have you know that those are geodesics (or something)... But you're right, one of my cats could have done a better job of the stitching, and they don't even have thumbs :hihi: .

I don't know about mathematics but sometimes circular knitting can end up like Biology

To keep with the maths theme, my first attempt at circular knitting ended up like a Moebius strip. But talking of biology, this scarf appeals to my inner biologist...

That's really quite.... odd. It's one of those one-sided shape things isn't it? I'm sure I've come across the website of the bloke who designs those things. Not sure I'd actually want to put it on my head though. :hihi:

But talking of biology, this scarf appeals to my inner biologist...

If I might just interject .... that guy isn't wearing the scarf.

The scarf is wearing him :D

If I might just interject .... that guy isn't wearing the scarf.

The scarf is wearing him :D

It is rather. I suspect he looks uncomfortable though because he's just noticed that the designer has mistaken her purines for her pyrimidines in the pattern. Biologists, eh?